Toothed Spurge

Euphorbia dentata

Family: Euphorbiaceae (yoo-for-bee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Euphorbia (yoo-FOR-bee-uh) (Info)
Species: dentata (den-TAY-tuh) (Info)
Synonym:Poinsettia dentata

Desoto, Texas

Logan, Utah

positive

On Jun 18, 2016, Chillybean from (Zone 5a) wrote:

I like this native plant, also known as Green Poinsettia. It is one that I did not have to work for, but grows freely in one of my native patches. The seeds are food for Mourning Doves and other birds, so I find no reason to remove it. My gardening goal is food! Not just for people, but also for the wild critters around me.

Unlike others' experiences, this has not become a "thug" or invasive. It does seem prone to a type of virus that puts red spots on their leaves, but it doesn't harm the plant. I think it adds a little character to the plant.

On Jul 8, 2015, lokidog from Logan, UT wrote:

I don't see any positive value for this plant. It's a weed, though not that troublesome for me. It's said to be irritating (the milky sap) to the skin, and even has the potential to cause permanent blindness (Idaho Noxious Weed site), though I've not noticed it and I pull it out without any protection.

Unless there is an ornamental cultivar.... It's just a weed. It is a native plant in parts of the US (though not here).

On Mar 10, 2012, LouC from Desoto, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

One of the worst of the garden thugs. Been trying get rid of it for 45 years.

On Jan 17, 2005, JodyC from Palmyra, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

Native to USA
The flowers of spurges are occasionally visited by small bees, Syrphid flies, and wasps. The seeds are consumed by the Mourning Dove, Greater Prairie Chicken, and to a lesser extent by the Bobwhite and Horned Lark. Because the milky latex in the stems and foliage is poisonous, this plant is rarely consumed by mammalian herbivores.

Sometimes this plant is referred to as Euphorbia dentata. Toothed Spurge is closely related to Euphorbia cyathophora (Wild Poinsettia), which also occurs in Illinois. This latter species has shiny leaves that turn red at the base near the inflorescence; it is the showier of the two plants.