PlantFiles: Euryops, Yellow Bush Daisy
Euryops pectinatus

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Euryops (YOOR-ee-ops) (Info)
Species: pectinatus (pek-tin-AY-tus) (Info)

Synonym:Euryops sonnenschein

Silver/Gray

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed
Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry
Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing
Ferment seeds before storing
Wear gloves to protect hands when handling seeds
Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

By vroomp

Thumbnail #6 of Euryops pectinatus by ladyannne

By mgarr
Thumbnail #7 of Euryops pectinatus by mgarr

Positive last_ember On Oct 9, 2014, last_ember from Garner, NC wrote:

I live in Garner, NC zone 7b and I planted 3 of these in May. They have been flowering like crazy all summer and now they are still going strong in October. I have them growing in a perennial bed on the west side of my house, so they get the blasting sun every afternoon for several hours. They need some water when first transplanted, but after a few days they are very hardy and need no care at all. They are a bright vivid primary yellow and pair well with the hot pink, red, and purple flowers I have planted with them. I have the Euryops variety with the dark green foliage and it is very attractive. I plan to cut some stems for propagation, but will leave the plants in the ground to see if they return in the spring in my area.

Neutral peejay12 On Mar 16, 2014, peejay12 from Porthleven, Helston, Cornwall
United Kingdom (Zone 9b) wrote:

This seems to be the most popular and hardiest species for the UK, but gets damaged below -4C in Cornwall, and all top growth got killed at -6c five years ago. In milder parts of Cornwall (Penzance) I've seen shrubs 8 feet across. They respond well to drastic pruning.

After I'd started to dig up the plant I noticed shoots at the base. It's not my favorite plant so I got rid of it any way, but the roots do survive quite low temperatures, and regrowth is fast.

Positive MalibuMike On May 6, 2012, MalibuMike from Simi Valley, CA wrote:

Live in Western part of Simi Valley, CA. Euryops grows great in pots or poor soil. Doesn't like to much water. After 2-3 years grows huge branches and gets woody. Many times dies after 3-4 years if planted in pot. Huge and invasive if grown in ground. Must be tamed and shaped. Great plant for full sun, and temperatures up to 95 degrees.
Great yellow flowers and green leaves.

Positive kellyba On Apr 3, 2011, kellyba from Kent, WA wrote:

I planted this in a large pot and it was beautiful all summer. In the winter it died back to the stalk (I should have brought it inside). Next summer it came back, and has 4 stalks about 18 inches high. I just bought a new one and will bring it in for the winter. It loved the full sun in the summer.

Positive turniptruck2 On Apr 26, 2010, turniptruck2 from (Zone 8a) wrote:

This plant is unbelievable. As a potted standard, it has flowered for a continuous year for me here in Vancouver, BC area. I kept it in an unheated garage with a simple flourescent grow light over the winter at 5-10 degrees C - continued blooming there all winter. I just sat it outside on some warmer days that were above 5 degrees C.

This plant seems to like the cooler temperatures more than the heat of the summer, I just never let it experience below 0 C.

Positive otter47 On Apr 12, 2010, otter47 from Livermore, CA wrote:

This is a basic landscape plant through much of low-elevation California and is widely planted in parking strips, shopping centers, boulevards, etc. One of my neighbors has a planting along his fence. Euryops blooms abundantly during the cooler months of the year and then tapers off during the hot summer months. The plants do need to be pruned back occasionally so that they do not become too woody. The best time is during the summer so that they will send out new growth for flowering in the fall. They can take light to moderate frosts, but are nipped at temperatures below about 25 F or so, although they usually recover. Some years ago, the gray-leaved form was the most popular; now, it seems that the green-leaved form is the most widely sold and planted.

Positive agentdonny007 On Nov 11, 2008, agentdonny007 from Las Vegas, NV (Zone 8b) wrote:

Bright yellow daisies bloom year round in Las Vegas. I personally love the fact that it blooms during the winter when many other plants aren't. Popular landscape plant. Seems to grow best in full sun but away from reflected sun areas. Afternoon shade keeps the foliage from burning in the desert sun. I've seen them get a little crispy.....

Positive jabowman78 On Mar 23, 2007, jabowman78 from Pleasant Hill, CA wrote:

One of my absolute favorites, not only for the delightful flowers but also for the beautiful foliage. Flowers last longer on the bush than in the vase. =]

This plant does great in full sun with regular watering - fast grower. Doesn't seem to tolerate drought very well as the leaves wilt before too long if watering is neglected. Can tolerate some frost, but there will be some die-off, but will recover quickly. Prune early in the season or after the flowers are spent.

Neutral iga2 On Jul 30, 2006, iga2 from Morgantown, WV wrote:

I recevied my tree for mothers day, I have repotted in large pation pot, havekept dead flowers cut off, fertiliz one time month....full of bloom and flowers when i got, but none since then...alot of new foliage with few flowers coming on...help. it gets ne sun with semi shade, does it need more full sun to bloom fully?

Positive alidansma On Apr 27, 2005, alidansma wrote:

I planted four Green Leaved Euryops in Feb 2000 - they are over four years old now, full of yellow flowers even in mid- December. The flowers disappear for the summer, but the plants stay lush. I live in the desert at 4200' feet, snow in the winter, over 100 degerees in the summer. Even with branches getting broken off by the dogs, crushed by snow and an inconsistant water supply, they florish - I feel these plants are indestructable.

Positive JaxFlaGardener On Apr 26, 2005, JaxFlaGardener from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

This plant has become one of my favorites. It bloomed almost constantly all last season and even flowered throughout the winter months, surviving temperatures as low as 28 F on a few nights with no frost/freeze damage (NE Florida, borderline Zone 8b/9a). I recently added another Euryops in a more shaded location and hope to add more as time goes by.

I had some free range pet rabbits for awhile and this plant was also one of their favorites! They would stand as tall as they could to nibble at the leaves, but didn't seem to do any permanent damage. Gardeners in rabbit prone areas may want to fence their Euryops or protect it in some way.

Positive pokerboy On Sep 4, 2004, pokerboy from Canberra
Australia (Zone 8b) wrote:

This evergreen shrub grows to around 1.5 metres tall and flowers yellow daisies over a long period of time. Likes to be kept moist during the growing season. Likes full sun to part shade in a well drained soil. Good for cottage gardens and rockeries. pokerboy.

Neutral vanessa2418 On Aug 1, 2004, vanessa2418 from Rainier, WA wrote:

I haven't had this plant very long, about 6 months. I bought it in early sping and it bloomed only when I first bought it. It has grown but it only bloomed that one time. I don't have it in full sun and I am wondering if that could be the problem. It might just be the climate but I'm not sure. I live in northwest washington. Any help or tips to get it to bloom would be very helpful.

Positive jjkkwalk On Apr 30, 2004, jjkkwalk from Midlothian, TX wrote:

I lost 2 of these in a freeze several years ago but they were beautiful when in bloom. I am trying one now in a large pot, so I can bring it in later this year when it freezes. Love the gray foliage and those bright yellow daisies!

Neutral WALT60 On Aug 19, 2003, WALT60 wrote:

I live in Arizona. I planted these four months ago, and they looked very healthy up until the temps reached over 100*F. I have a drip system running to them, but it did no good - the plants look like they have dried out. I wonder if this is normal, and if they'll come back in our winter months, or if I should pull up all (14+) plants.

Positive chuckscott On Mar 19, 2003, chuckscott wrote:

My fairly new plant(in ground 9 months in N. Texas) was doing very well until a recent ice storm. Now it looks very dead. The storm was not long lasting (1 1/2 day at most), but the plant does not look like it will survive. Any ideas?

Positive erwi0295 On Mar 5, 2003, erwi0295 wrote:

This is a great plant for a naturalizing effect. It can easily fill a 5'x5'x3' area. It looks great atop a bed of smooth river rock, they accentuate the foliage. The daisy-like flowers are most productive with a steady temperature. Here in Portland they bloomed throughout November into December, but decreased dramatically when the rains got intense.

Overall this is a solid shrub with little or no maintenance and it looks great year round with it's bright yellow flowers.

Positive vroomp On Feb 7, 2003, vroomp from Marietta, GA (Zone 7a) wrote:

Euryops bloom almost year-round. A perfect indoor plant for a bright location or great container plant to put out in spring and summer. Water regularly and fertilize once a month during growing season with balanced liquid fertilizer. Euryops do not like temps below 50, but will tolerate it for short periods. This plant is said to be hardy for zones 9 & 10. Very easily grown from cuttings and trained as a standard.

Tempe, Arizona
Citrus Heights, California (2 reports)
Clayton, California
Ellabell, Georgia
Jonesboro, Louisiana
Lafayette, Louisiana
Pass Christian, Mississippi
Las Vegas, Nevada (2 reports)
Garner, North Carolina