Skunk-vine
Paederia foetida

Family: Rubiaceae
Genus: Paederia (pay-DER-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: foetida (FET-uh-duh) (Info)
Synonym:Paederia scandens

Trenton, Florida

Zephyrhills, Florida

Ahuimanu, Hawaii

On Mar 28, 2013, bukwessul from Combee Settlement, FL wrote:

For 6 years I have battled this nefarious vine. I am just starting to get on level footing meaning I am not loosing ground to it at the moment. It will live longer than I will however.

The vine comes from runners and in its' mature stage "weed grenades" as my wife calls them. The runners when hitting soil (or a thatched/low soil above ground area as well) can sprout roots which radiate out rather shallowly in the 1st -2nd years. By the 3rd year, it is able to readily project more runner vines. I am beginning to suspect that it also can begin to grow roots if it is cut and comes in contact with soil. Which means, if you cut it-cut it all out. I have fooled myself for 2 years thinking I got it when in reality, I just spured it on.

I used roundup on the leaves ... read more

On Feb 22, 2010, ApopkaJohn from Apopka, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

yes I see this vine beginning to spread into shubbery around the neighborhood.

On Oct 1, 2007, MySharona from Amelia Island, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Although it is a very pretty vine it smells awful and immediately grows over anything in it's path. I pulled it up by the roots - hopefully it won't come back next year.

On Sep 13, 2005, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is a Category I Exotic Pest Plant in north and central Florida. Though the flowers are not unattractive, everything possible should be done to eradicate it everywhere in this state.

On Dec 2, 2004, easter0794 from Seffner, FL wrote:

If only I had a solution to get rid of this. It is even taking over my trumpet vine. We mowed (it clogged up the mower) it over the ferns it took over, poured a thick layer of mulch over it and it's still popping up through. Plus, it can now be found in lots of areas on my acre. I pull it out and it comes back.

On Sep 21, 2004, Khyssa from Inverness, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I consider this a nightmare weed! I live in Citrus county in Florida and this vine was introduced to my yard in a load of mulch we got at the county landfill. That was the first and last time we got mulch from there! The vine keeps covering my azalea and camelia bushes and nothing I do seems to permanently get rid of it. It's even migrating into the lawn! Any suggestions for how to get rid of it would be very welcome.

On Jan 18, 2004, xyris from Sebring, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Paederia foetida (skunk vine) is even worse than it sounds. It really is nasty smelling, rank growing, agressive, and climbing to the treetops and smothering mature trees. Amazingly, even though it is so invasive in a few counties near and just north of Tampa, Florida, it does not seem to have spread much beyond this region. I suspect that this could be because it may prefer neutral to alkaline pH soils, in contrast to the acid soils of most of Florida. I believe it is also invasive in some other parts of the subtropics.