Shoebutton Ardisia
Ardisia elliptica

Family: Myrsinaceae
Genus: Ardisia (ar-DIZ-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: elliptica (ee-LIP-tih-kuh) (Info)
Synonym:Bladhia elliptica
Synonym:Ardisia polycephala

Pale Pink

Magenta (Pink-Purple)

Purple

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

Daytona Beach, Florida

Lecanto, Florida

negative

On May 11, 2015, ZombiShakespear from Clayton, NC wrote:

My mom was given a tiny plant about 5 years ago with no label, and she gave it to me. I'm not worried about it being invasive as I'm not in the right zone for it and plan to keep it as a house plant. I've kept it in my office all this time and it's grown quite a bit, but I had no idea what it was until one of you lovely Dave's Garden people ID'd it for me. I have to ask, though, how did you get it to flower? And mine is 5 years old and definitely hasn't grown as fast as MAINE_CAL's. It's very healthy and has no problems, it just grows slowly and doesn't flower. It's just a bit over a foot tall, nowhere near the ceiling like yours!

On Jan 16, 2011, MAINE_CAL from Pittsfield, ME wrote:

I garden in Maine, so my Ardisia elliptica is strictly a houseplant. When first I received it, it was 4" tall & in a 2" pot. Three years later & several re-pottings later, it's now hitting my living room ceiling. So, yes, I guess you could say I've been successful!

On Dec 29, 2009, plantladylin from South Daytona, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

My Ardisia elliptica was a really small $1.98 house plant from Wal-Mart a few years ago. It's grown a lot but is still a small plant. It has pretty little blooms and the berries are quite attractive as well.

Ardisia crenata and Ardisia elliptica are both listed as catagory 1 invasive's in Florida so it's best to keep them as container plants.

On Jan 26, 2009, wormfood from Lecanto, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is a beautiful potted plant. I let it go through it's flowering but snip off the berries before they mature and dispose of them properly.

Lost this plant during the Jan. '09 freeze at 21*
But I have two more, I'll be more careful.

On Feb 11, 2005, NativePlantFan9 from Boca Raton, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

Shoebutton Ardisia or Jet Berry (Ardisia elliptica) is extremely invasive in central and southern Florida, from coastal central Florida (Brevard County, zone 9a) south through the Keys. It is a shrub or small, upright tree. It spreads rapidly by seed and forms dense, shrubby stands and thickets, pushing out native vegetation. The seeds are dispersed by birds, and this plant tolerates a wide range of soil and spreads rapidly in natural areas, habitats and ecosystems. The flowers are small and purple to violet or pink-white, which distinguishes it from the extremely similar (but very beneficial, wildlife-benefiting and superb native) Marlberry, which is native to central and southern Florida in many of the same habitats, south through the Keys. Also, the leaves of this species are generally ... read more