PlantFiles: Sessile Joyweed
Alternanthera sessilis

Family: Amaranthaceae
Genus: Alternanthera (al-ter-NANTH-ur-uh) (Info)
Species: sessilis (SES-sil-iss) (Info)

Vegetables

under 6 in. (15 cm)

By Happenstance
Thumbnail #1 of Alternanthera sessilis by Happenstance

Positive malihai On Jul 13, 2014, malihai from Destrehan, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

If anyone has this plant for sale or trade i would like to buy it.
Thanks.

Neutral frostweed On Nov 22, 2006, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Sessile Joyweed Alternanthera sessilis is naturalized in Texas and other States.

Positive dhaneshmeena On Sep 4, 2005, dhaneshmeena from North Royalton, OH wrote:

I am from India. Back in India we eat this plant. It is know to be very good for the eyes. I am now living in USA and trying to find this plant so I can grow in my garden and cook.
Thanks

Positive dolfcheng On Jan 10, 2005, dolfcheng from taipei
Taiwan wrote:

the plant alternanthera sessillis has been used in chinese medicine, this is added with aneilema keisak hassk also known as marsh dewflower, and wedelia chinensis also known as chinese wedelia to make a chinese medicinal concoction or a summer drink, i personally drink it when the heat is high) in the summer to lower the heat (yang) inside the body. This combination of 3 plants is boiled in low heat for 2 hours and then added with peppermint leaves that will give it extra coolness, is added with sugar to taste and then refrigerated. Mmm, tastes refreshing

Negative caron On Nov 25, 2004, caron from Woodland Park, CO (Zone 4b) wrote:

U. S. FEDERALLY LISTED NOXIOUS WEED.
Not allowed for import to the US and not allowed in any interstate or intrastate transportation without a specific permit from USDA APHIS PPQ (Plant Protection and Quarantine).

Positive suee On Dec 27, 2003, suee from Bull Shoals, AR wrote:

A small piece of this plant was potted with a pond plant that I bought. The nursery wanted to pull it from the pot, but I told her that I wanted it. I transplanted it to it's own pot and barely submersed the pot in my pond. It grew like crazy! I cut it back repeatedly and tossed the cuttings into my garden. Needless to say it sprouted in my garden! The red color of the leaves is a beautiful contrast to my other plants, but it can get out of control. By mid-summer it completely took over, I just keep cutting it back. It over winters well here, even with a cold winter that we had. I like this plant for it's color, but I think I'll put it where I don't mind it taking over. Grows well in pond and in the garden.

Bull Shoals, Arkansas