Scarlet Gaura, Scarlet Beeblossum

Oenothera suffrutescens

Family: Onagraceae (on-uh-GRAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Oenothera (ee-no-THEE-ruh) (Info)
Species: suffrutescens (suf-roo-TES-kens) (Info)
Synonym:Gaura bracteata

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

Clarkdale, Arizona

Denver, Colorado

Carrabelle, Florida

Fort Lauderdale, Florida (2 reports)

Holiday, Florida

Falls Church, Virginia

Kent, Washington

Moxee, Washington

On Aug 4, 2014, Chillybean from Near Central, IA (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is not in my yard (at this time), but on the other side of the gravel road from us. "Oh, please County, do not mow this! I want to gather some seed first."

The reason for a positive without much experience is hummingbirds like this stuff! I planted Columbine, but they have no interest in that, so I want to have more of what these birds really want. Also in the winter, I saw Juncos eating the seeds. I already have a good spot in mind.

On May 5, 2012, NextToGone from Bandera, TX wrote:

This plant showed its existence to me this year in Bandera, TX due to the weed eater being broken. It is such a beautiful flower and I have it growing wild with some seedlings appearing. I plan to transplant the seedlings even though pink and white are not my colors.

On Oct 1, 2010, Jonella from Pond Eddy, NY wrote:

I am checking "Neutral" here because my experience has been both extremely positive - in that the flower is just lovely - I adore it! - but also negative in that I have never had a gaura plant last through the winter here in upstate New York - zone 5-6.
No matter how well it flourishes in the garden and seems to be well-established, it has never come back for me - so far. I keep trying, though.
I am writing to ask if anyone has any guidance to offer that might help me over-winter this lovely plant. I find it most enchanting and I'm so disappointed in the spring - and summer - when it simply does not reappear!
Many thanks.
Sullivan County (80 miles from NYC.)

On May 17, 2010, RxAngel from Stratford, TX (Zone 6b) wrote:

Another native plant that is going in my wildflower experimental bed. I was so excited to find some today to dig up...and even more pleasantly surprised to find it smells good as well! Follow my blog here on DG to see the progress...

The Lakota Sioux rubbed this plant on their hands to make them sticky to aid in catching horses, and the Navajo used a cold tea made from scarlet gaura to settle children's upset stomachs.