Alfilaria, Red-stemmed Filaree, Pin Clover, Pin Grass, Wild Musk, Common Storksbill

Erodium cicutarium

Family: Geraniaceae (jer-ay-nee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Erodium (er-OH-dee-um) (Info)
Species: cicutarium (kik-u-tar-ee-um) (Info)
» View all varieties of Hardy Geraniums

De Leon, Texas

Hereford, Texas

Spokane, Washington

On Mar 24, 2009, texasflora_com from De Leon, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

This plant is extremely invasive in my area. It grows in lawns, ditches, around buildings, in cracks in concrete slabs, you name it. But since it's entirely edible, I still view it positively. Smiln32 said it had a strong pungent smell but I've handled it and even tasted it and it's not strong at all but a very faint smell. To me, the root has a very slight carrot flavor. Not bitter at all, at least in March. The leaves have a sort of sharp parsley flavor.

On Jun 18, 2008, Sherlock_Holmes from Rife, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I am not currently growing this plant, but I have gathered a large number of seeds for it. I plan to grow it in the future. Here is info I have on its edibility.

"Edible Wild Plants of Eastern North America" by Fernald & Kinsey has this to say about Alfilaria, also known as Storksbill:

"The Storksbill is an occasional weed around towns and especially in the neighborhood of woolen-mills, whence its seeds have been brought from the Southwest entangled in wool. The plant is extensively naturalized in the southwestern states and several writers say that the young foliage is eaten raw or cooked by the Indians. In our Southwest it is raised as an important winter-forage under the name Alfileria."

"Edible Wild Plants: A North American Field Guide... read more

On Mar 4, 2008, bgrumbin from Barstow, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

one of the most common ground cover plants in the Great American Desert, I have been delighting in its tiny blooms for many years now and was pleased to find that the most numerous ground cover on my recently purchased land was in fact this pretty plant

On Dec 4, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

This plant is also called Heron bill Filaree. It is native to the U.S. It produces blooms profusely for many weeks in the spring. The finely divided, fern-like leaves and deep roots have a strong pungent smell.