Pampas Grass

Cortaderia jubata

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cortaderia (kor-tuh-DEER-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: jubata (joo-BAH-tuh) (Info)

Ornamental Grasses and Bamboo

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Carlotta, California

Kingman, Kansas

Folsom, Louisiana

Saint Landry, Louisiana

On Sep 4, 2013, Gardeningman from Kingman, KS (Zone 6b) wrote:

I haven't found this plant to be invasive in my area. The only complaint I have is that it is planted too often.
However, it is graceful when blowing in the breeze and looks better than some things that people tend to over plant. It is a very durable plant and holds up to drought fairly well. It is one of those plant it and forget it kind of plants. So as far as the plant is concerned, I give it a positive rating.

On Jun 12, 2009, lehua_mc from Portland, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

With minimal research, I've decided I have the 'jubata' species due to the rangy looking plumes that come up. Pampas is a documented invasive plant in Oregon, but look at this thing! Major warfare will need to be waged. Nasty plant, you don't want to get near this thing, it will reach out and grab you. The hairs are not to be underestimated (again, think about mowing near it on a hot day). The only people who think it's pretty are those who don't have to live with it.

On Apr 22, 2003, Zanymuse from Scotia, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Extremely invasive this plant is taking over large areas as it crowds out native plants and is hindering the reforestation efforts here in Northern California. Difficult to irradicate due to it's tennacious root system and ability to spread by seeds born on the wind and by birds. The roots suevive underground after fires and send up new shoots in the next wet period. Efforts to irradicate it have been sporatic but seem to be increasing as the problem continues to grow.