Morning Glory, Grannyvine
Ipomoea tricolor 'Heavenly Blue'

Family: Convolvulaceae (kon-volv-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ipomoea (ip-oh-MEE-a) (Info)
Species: tricolor (TRY-kull-lur) (Info)
Cultivar: Heavenly Blue
Synonym:Ipomoea rubrocoerulea

Not Applicable

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Medium Blue

Blue-Violet

Late Fall/Early Winter

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

Gaylesville, Alabama

Pocahontas, Tennessee

Arlington, Texas

Brazoria, Texas

Bulverde, Texas

Dallas, Texas (2 reports)

Deer Park, Texas

Dickinson, Texas

Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)

Liberty Hill, Texas

Madison, Wisconsin

Racine, Wisconsin

negative

On Oct 26, 2014, Sherilou from Panhandle Gulf Coast, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is one of the most "true blue" flowers that I've ever seen.
Easy to grow.

On Aug 23, 2013, bearsarecool from Kellogg, ID wrote:

I've got to buy some of these!

On Sep 11, 2012, Kim_M from Hamburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

This plant is absolutely gorgeous. I have never seen one in person until a couple days ago. I actually had to pause and LOOK! Very beautiful. I think I'll grow these this next year.

On May 12, 2011, ScarlettGardnr from Spring, TX wrote:

I have grown Heavenly Blues successfully in Edmond, OK and am now growing them in Spring, TX, Zone 8b. I have always grown mine on a privacy fence with great results. As long as you have them trained up, off the ground and get them to the top of the fence you are in good shape and they will mound up into a beautiful blue blanket and not invade your yard/flowerbeds, etc...

Gosh, they are so bright and refreshing to see in the heat of the summer!

I fertilized one year and got lots of leaves, no flowers. Learned the hard way. Here in Spring we have TERRIBLE soil. The vines are doing great!

I also have Morning Glory Scarlett O'Hara and Cardinal Creeper (also growing on my fences, trained around twine I nailed to the fence) and both varieti... read more

On Mar 19, 2011, klutzo from Clearwater, FL wrote:

I am in zone 9b.
I thought I had a green thumb until I tried to grow Heavenly Blue morning glories. This year is my 4th (and last) try at it.
I nick the end opposite the "eye", then soak in warm water until they swell and start to germinate, then I plant 1/4-1/2 inch deep, in full sun to partial shade, and provide them with large chicken wire and wood pole trellises. I do not fertilize them, having read this is a bad idea and that they like the sandy soil in our area. I planted them on 2/19 this year.
This year I tried 3 locations, hoping at least one would work out. I have them planted on trellises near an east facing fence, a north facing fence and a south facing fence, and 2 of those locations are at the back of beds full of successful plantings. ... read more

On Aug 4, 2010, tinabt from (Zone 9b) wrote:

I love this vine except for it is very invasive. I bought one small plant it has gone every where. Up the down spouts for the gutters,over the roof of my house. Its on my fences( i live on 5 acres)ran under my deck to the other side of the house. Through the garden. BUT.. Its worth it. Those BIG blue flowers are so intense. I actually have small airplanes from the local airport doing circles around my property. I can only imagine what it must look like from the air. Not to mention that the hummers love the flowers to. I live in the Tampa area and it does exceptionally well here. It has come back every year, the heat, the draught, the cold has not killed it. Although it would be nice if it would slow down a little!

On Jul 21, 2010, stephyloveflower from McKees Rocks, PA wrote:

Planted this in the ground at the front porch from seeds in May. Could be due the fertile soil, i'm getting plenty of huge leaf and no blooms. What can i do to get blooms? Will thinning of the leaf helps? Not getting morning sun either, only afternoon sun. Thanks in advance!

On Apr 3, 2010, SudieGoodman from Broaddus, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Zone 8b, Heat Zone 9, Lake Sam Rayburn, deep East, TX
4-4-2010 I planted seeds of Morning Glory, Grannyvine Ipomoea tricolor 'Heavely Blue'. After soaking seeds for 24 hours in warm water, I planted them in a 4" by 20" pot. I've placed a thin lattice for my vine to run up. I may use fishing wire to start the young vine towards the lattice.
I really appreciate all the good information you folks gave on Dave's Garden!
I previously grew the old Ipomea blue that was too aggresive. It was a hand-me-down from Grandmother. It had undergound roots, ran under the house & up through the deck floor. Spouse said "it must go or it will damage the entire dwelling......I hope to have better control of Heavenly Blue. With all your good info. I feel encouraged in trying Heavely Blue.... read more

On Feb 18, 2010, gardenbugde from Smyrna, DE (Zone 7a) wrote:

How could you NOT love this beauty? It is one of my favorites and this year it will be paired with Candy Pink! I can only imagine the offspring of those two! :-) My first experience with HB was in 1978 in Illinois- My mom had a mass of them growing on a trellis next to the porch. I fell in love with them at the age of 12! The next time we grew them was in 1980 in Georgia. My Mom ammended the Georgia clay and we got them to grow up the wrought iron fence at the patio. If you have room for these, you should grow them, as you won't be disappointed!

On Jul 25, 2008, nickyskye from New York, NY wrote:

Growing Morning Glories -and a few of their relatives in the Ipomoea family- the second year in a row in hanging flower boxes on my Hell's Kitchen fire escape, which gets the full blast of the summer sun and needs particularly feisty plants to survive. With the Morning Glories I just planted the seeds in April, directly into the soil.

This year I decided to plant Heavenly Blue Morning Glories along with with Cardinal Climber ( Ipomoea sloteri), which has charming, small but intensely red, trumpet flowers and lovely, digitate shaped leaves. The Cardinal Climber blossomed quickly in June. I also planted Moonflower (Ipomoea alba), which blooms rarely, about once a week from early July with a marvelously soft fragrance. Last but not least, Sweet Potato Vine (Ipomoea Blackie) w... read more

On Jun 25, 2008, atrotasha from New Port Richey, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

These plants are neat in Pennsylvania because they bloom in the fall time when most other plants are done blooming. They grow wild here too so it provides color on the roadsides everywhere, especially next to farming fields. I have one growing in a pot on my balcony. I guess they can be an invasive vine to a nice flower bed. Mine is on a shelf where it is free to climb wherever it wants.

On Mar 14, 2008, rebecca101 from Madison, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

This did not look as nice as I had expected. It is an absolutely monstrous vine - 3 or 4 plants took over about 25' feet of fence and sprawled on the ground nearby as well, smothering everything in their path. It was mostly foliage with somewhat sparse bloom - maybe my soil is too rich for it. It did not bloom for me until fall, and was killed by frost so bloom period was very short. The blue color of the flowers was pretty, but I do not think I would plant it again.

On Sep 8, 2007, woofie from Chewelah, WA (Zone 5a) wrote:

I'd just like to add that I've had no trouble with transplanting the vines. I started them in my greenhouse in pony packs and every one that sprouted (nearly all) survived being transplanted outdoors with no difficulty. And even the ones that didn't get moved into larger pots (I started WAY too many) keep hanging in there and have produced a few blooms in those tiny little pots. Very easy to grow and just beautiful.

On Jul 26, 2007, blue1dela from Springtown, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I am a first time gardener and heavenly blue has got me all excited about gardening. I have had no problems from planting thru vining. Just an absolute beautiful plant and so easy to grow. If heavenly blue is truly invasive; let it invade.

On Jun 30, 2007, Niere from Chepachet, RI (Zone 5b) wrote:

This is a great flower--I absolutely adored having it in a large pot with a trellis last summer. I also had some basil growing in the pot as well--this helped hide the bare stems as the morning glories got older. This year I'm trying them in a bed with a large trellis and they are doing very nicely. I would say one thing--while it is true these plants aren't fond of being transplanted, I can tell you that they will do very well if you start them in two-inch soil blocks started in a cold frame. That is how I started mine this year and I had no transplanting issues whatsoever.

This is a flower I would highly recommend.

On Sep 18, 2006, John155 from Shakopee, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I planted a 3" container in May that I found in the herb section of my local nursery. I stuck it next to my trellised garden entrance, Zone 4, clay soil, morning shade & afternoon sun. Tendrils grew rapidly (6" a day or more) and by July the vine had covered everything it could reach. I just pinched off any lower leaves that turned yellow. Buds began opening in August and each morning there are over a hundred new blooms. First time I ever had a plant that made people stop and stare! It is still going growing new tendrils with new buds and going crazy in mid-September. On cloudy days the huge flowers are open all day. Even a hail storm did not damage it. I let it latch on to some tall zinnias nearby and the combination of blue flowers on pink zinnias is amazing. I don't believe it ... read more

On Aug 24, 2006, 3marguerites from Albuquerque, NM wrote:

I bought small plants at a nursery and planted them in a spot that is in shade some of the time. It is doing well, of course not as well as it would in the sun and planted directly but I am enjoying new heavenly blue flowers everyday nevertheless.

On Jul 23, 2006, Samovila from San Antonio, TX wrote:

I have two that are only a few feet apart. One started out real strong, bloomed for a short while (a week or so) while the other appeared to be sickly. Now the strong one is starting to turn brown and some leaves seem to be dying off-- it no longer blooms-- and the sickly one is thriving and green, but no blooms. What could be wrong?

On Jun 4, 2006, carolschuman from Arlington, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

Gindee77, I also had the experience of these not coming true from seed...I now have about half dozen pink blooming vines that I am sure were parented by last years Heavenly Blues. And the plants I had last year had several blooms that were mottled blue with pink spots...very strange! I am considering pulling up the pink blooming vines after I get a few more seeds...I will start them some where in the shade next year because these are very agressive seeders in the sun where they are now. I may have bought cheaper seeds, can't remember for sure what brand they were.

On Feb 17, 2006, PrairieGirlZ5 from Thornton, IL wrote:

This is a favorite of my childhood since we could grow it everywhere we moved (Army brat)! It is called "early" because it opens early in the day, not because it come up earlier.

On Feb 4, 2006, philomel from Castelnau RB Pyrenťes
France (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is my favourite Morning Glory, the colour really is a heavenly blue and the bees love it. It needs warmth and sunshine to do well, but when happy it carries on flowering for an extended period.

On Sep 21, 2005, MalvaFan from Morrice, MI wrote:

The name Grannywine is new to me since I know it as Clarke's Early Heavenly Blue. A consistant performer in the garden. As to the poster from Saskatchewan with the negative experience, I think trying to grow them in a hanging basket was the reason, not the variety of morning glory, plus the wind did not help. they like climbing on a trellis or twine or some other means of support.

On Sep 7, 2005, jwmdyck from Port Royal, SC wrote:

I have a lot of morning glory vines, all volunteers draped all over the sides of my home. However, I have yet to get one single blossom this summer. It is already the 7th of September.
The plants are vigorous. I train them to cotton string which I stretch from the eves to stakes in the ground.
In previous years I had a lot of heavenly blues that did flower. I had hundreds of blossoms.
Last year there were two kinds of blossoms: heavenly blue and another very small pale purple flower. The small flower looks exactly like a morning glory except for the small size. Perhaps it is a hybrid.
However, this year I haven't even had one of those.

On Sep 7, 2005, casadog from Ft. Worth, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is the first year that I have ever planted anything in the ground, and I am absolutely floored at how enjoyable it all is. The blue dawn that I have is growing every day and I love the time I spend fussing with it. I got 5 or 6 flowers the first weekend after I bought it and planted it w./ a 6' climbing trellis, but alas not many since. I believe it was getting too much shade during the hot Texas summers(which probably isn't all that bad, I guess), but I have cut back the tree that was covering it. I hope this helps as this is one very beautiful plant.

On Sep 6, 2005, ineedacupoftea from Denver, CO wrote:

A couple additions:
Do not fertilize,
Do not lose your sympathetic gardener's wits if they wilt in 90-110 degree weather,
Do not overwater,
Do wake up early enough to see them,
Best growth is during heat,
Do not eat their seeds; silly, [I'm sure even landfill looks like Monet's garden after eating them. Sure, "Expand" your daft prune mind via cooking it.]
Growing them on a West fence/wall keeps the morning's flowers out of the sun longer,
Direct sowing when warm outside usually (always) works better than early-sowing indoors. {For reasons of seed-adaption and soil interface...}
and the true blue looks truer next to a red-impersonator like Ipo. Scarlett O'Hara.

That's all.

On Sep 3, 2005, flowercrazy39 from Manchester, NH wrote:

What a gorgeous morning glory! Does close up early in the day though.

On Aug 20, 2005, ipomoeadude from Accokeek, MD wrote:

In reply to redjii, many newly-sprouted morning glories look "deranged" but grow up to be perfectly healthy plants. (There may be a parallel there with a few human infants I've seen!) Also, it is absolutely true that morning glories hate to be transplanted. They should be direct-sown, either in pots (which obviously can be moved) or in the ground. Transplanting--even with extreme care--is a recipe for disaster.

Heavenly Blue is my all-time favorite morning glory. (Some vendors sell it as "Clarke's Early Heavenly Blue," which may originally have been earlier but seems just the same now.) It has stunningly gorgeous flowers of considerable size, and it is way less aggressive/invasive than the purpurea varieties. Most or all of the other i. tricolor varieties apparently began as... read more

On Jun 8, 2005, EmperorDragon from Elk Grove, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This is just a reply to Cnswift's comment. This is my fourth year growing morning glories, and I do have Heavenly Blue doing very well in my backyard.

The withered undergrowth at the foot of the vines is normal. This will not affect the vine's ability to grow and produce flowers. As the vine grows taller, the leaves at the bottom will eventually get old and die. If you want, you can plant a row of alyssum to screen the ugly stems. It works pretty well for me. Just make sure you don't water the morning glories too much. They prefer staying on the dry side. =)

And about the mottled growth, you may get mottled growth, again, near the foot of the vines. This is because you may have gotten dirt on the leaves when you were watering or if it was raining. The leaves a... read more

On Jun 4, 2005, cissyb from Woodbine, GA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I've never planted this plant, it just popped up in my yard one year and has continued to come back. It dies back during the winter but faithfully returns every year. I've dug it up and moved it to different areas in my yard. At first it looks like it will not make it, but with some daily water and a little TLC it looks great within a week or so.

On Jun 3, 2005, SergioLousame from A CoruŮa
Spain (Zone 10a) wrote:

I live in Guernsey (United Kingdom), and i sow my seeds last month. They are going very good. Hope they start climbing soon.

On May 25, 2005, darylmitchell from Saskatoon, SK (Zone 3a) wrote:

Do not plant morning glory in a windy, exposed area. It will wither and die within days, like the three I planted in a hanging basket. After being bashed about by the wind for two days, they all went limp, shrivelled and dried up.

** UPDATE ** After moving into a new house, I had some better locations to try morning glories again. As in real estate, the key is location, location, location. This time I planted them in a sheltered location with a trellis to climb. They were much happier here, grew up the trellis and produced beautiful blue flowers.

The only issue now is the short growing season. I bought them as bedding plants and put them out in late May, after the danger of frost had passed. It took until early July for the vines to grow large enough to... read more

On May 18, 2005, cnswift from San Diego, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

I have two vines growing on my side yard fence. They are beautiful, yet I seem to have a lot of dead undergrowth. Is this normal? My leaves also seem somewhat mottled in color. I'm pretty new to gardening, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :D

On May 18, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I planted this morning glory because of it's great color. It is very invasive and the seedlings that come back aren't true to the parent color.

On Apr 9, 2005, conniecola from Lincoln, NE wrote:

This is in response to a comment by Pengdot, written 8/8/2004. He or she stated these seeds were poisonous when ingested. Why would any person with half a brain ingest them to start with!? This plant is made to be grown and LOOKED at, not eaten!!!

On Apr 8, 2005, Goochola from Athens
Greece (Zone 9a) wrote:

I live in Athens, Greece and planted Heavenly Blue last year that my aunt sent me from New England. I sowed the seeds in March and they grew like mad all summer and bloomed right up through December! I collected the seeds and am again growing this year, sowing in January this time. So far, there are millions of them. This time around, I noticed the dirty leaf phenomenum (thanks, Marshmellow), along with the wretched aphids and gently scrape them off not to harm the new growth, where they like to gather. My last garden was very shady and didn't get any light from September to April, and in the summer only a few hours, so they can also grow in minimal light although probably only when they have been established already in sun.

On Sep 10, 2004, tech020 from North Port, FL wrote:

I live in Florida, middle west coast. I germinated some Heavenly Blue and Pearly Gates seeds in a moist paper towel, took 24hours. I planted the seeds in small pots. The sprouts were 1.5 inches after just a couple of days, which was right before hurricane Charley. After the hurricane I planted them outside around this lamp post i have in my backyard, with additional bamboo sticks for climbing support. All together after 3.5 weeks from when they first sprouted they grew to 6inches tall! And then hurricane Frances came, and destroyed my plants leaving the stems with low damage. Now just a few days after, the stems are regrowing leaves! These plants really want to live, I haven't had them in any special soil, and I haven't fertilized them at all yet.
How long does it usually take, fr... read more

On Jun 21, 2004, Marshmellow from Fitchburg, MA wrote:

I live in New England, planted 150 or so and love the plants. Iíve been experimenting with them and this is what Iíve found works.

Growing Tips:
1. Probably the single most helpful tip is with a spray bottle of just water, or your hose set to a fine mist keep the leaves clean. In particular after every rain go out there and clean any dirt & debris that sprayed on the leaves (until the plants are over two feet tall). The leaves, in particular the two first leaves that look like a butterfly have a bad reaction to dirt. If the leaf collects enough dirt and itís left on there (which isnít much) they begin to warp and deform. The leaves turn cup shaped, wrinkly, which makes it easier for it to collect more dirt and eventually the dirt burns through the leaf or split... read more

On Apr 10, 2004, ladytigerlilly from Springtown, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I grew these beautiful blue morning glories last year. They are definitely a joy to have in the garden. The only problem I had with them were the tiny little aphid-like bugs that love to eat them. The bugs swarmed my lovely flowers covering the back sides of the leaves. They made white spots on the leaves that eventually caused them to turn brown and fall off. I was very excited to see that they reseeded themselves and are about 2 in high now. The only thing is I am afraid of those nasty bugs comming back and taking over again. If anyone knows what they are and how to get rid of them please post it! I would be extremely grateful to hear any suggestions.

On Apr 10, 2004, rihannon from birmingham
United Kingdom wrote:

this grows in birmingham uk

On Feb 8, 2004, WUVIE from Hulbert, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

We grow Heavenly Blue every year on our front chain
link fence, so I have acutally not had to re-seed,
as it drops plenty for next year.

Though we live on a country road where many people
drive entirely too fast, it never fails to amuse us
at the number of people who slow down when going by
our home. I can just hear it now...
"Oh, honey, slow down, would you just look at those
beautiful flowers!"

Funny thing is, we've become known around town for
our flowers, and folks we don't even know come up to
us in Wal Mart commenting on those beautiful flowers
of blue!

:-)

On Feb 7, 2004, redjiii wrote:

I began growing Ipomoea from the seed with very limited success. Being winter time in Zone 6, I began germinating them indoors. I soaked the seeds in water for 24 hours in an effort to soften up the tough husk. When I went to remove them from the water, they had already started to germinate! I was hopeful at this point. I planted about 6 or 7 spaced evenly in one 8" pot...only four of them took hold and managed to find their way through the soil after a shallow planting (actually a fifth poked through but looked quite deranged so I got rid of it). These four began growing rapidly and in a week, all four of them had reached about 1.5" in height. I put stakes next to the stalks to provide "climbing support". The plants never took hold though. They grew to about 3.5"-4" in height and... read more

On Feb 3, 2004, vegasgardener from Las Vegas, NV wrote:

I planted the Heavenly Blue in a small garden, mainly to cover an ugly cement block wall. It seemed that the hotter it got (temperatures exceeding 100F every day), the more the vine thrived. I had to cut it back vigorously. After I moved out and rented the house, I went back once a month to maintain the small yard. After a month the vines had grown into the grass, strangled all the plants in the flower beds, and almost covered the entire wall on both sides. I think this happened because it received water everyday via a sprinkler head.

So, my advice is to plant it where it has ample room to grow, and don't water it too much. But it is an excellent plant for color and foliage in a desert environment.

Also - beware of the vines and leaves. I picked up two ... read more

On Oct 16, 2003, LittleShima from Tucson, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

I planted several seeds I first "notched" (nicked) with a sharp knife and soaked in water for 24 hours. These seeds were planted on an east-facing trellis that I wanted to cover towards a west-facing trellis. They were hard to train to go west, as I didn't realize that they follow the sun. They were absolutely georgeous and with a few ties I got them trained and created an arbor.

They grew easily 12 feet and were by far the most beautiful flowers I ever saw. The flowers were about 6" across and there were hundreds of them. I planted them in March and finally in September I had to cut them down simply because the lower plant was woody and had too many dead leaves. I finally wound up with about 5 trunks about 1/2" in diamater. I cut them down to about 5" and it looks like the... read more

On Aug 25, 2003, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is my second year growing this plant. Last year it grew on my clothesline but didn't come back this year. However, it came back at my front porch railing - where I did not plant it. Go figure!!!! I hope it comes back next year in same spot - I love the true blue color; it's absolutely gorgeous and requires no care.

On Jul 20, 2003, Lenjo from Mount Angel, OR (Zone 8a) wrote:

Ipomoea 'Heavenly Blue' is one of the greatest annual vines, the clear bright blue color is so hard to beat. It grows easily here and I do not have the trouble with this particular variety throwing its seed everywhere and coming up the next year in unwanted places. I have grown it many many times.

On Jul 19, 2003, PurplePansies from Deal, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

The most beautiful sky blue on large trumpet flowers with a white throat. Tall vines. Easy to grow. Do not fertilize or over water. One of the earliest closing morning glories though. I've stopped growing them simply because I never get a chance to see them open.

On May 24, 2003, SunshineSue from Mississauga, ON (Zone 6a) wrote:

Morning Glory's hard-shelled seeds should be soaked in moist paper towel (folded over to cover seeds), placed in a bowl, covered with plastic wrap & placed on top of your fridge for at least 24 hours. Do not allow paper towel to dry out; hence the plastic wrap. Within about 24 hours, the seeds will have sprouted and can be planted shallowly in garden or container in full sun. Some seeds may not sprout. Give them an extra bit of time, but if they do not sprout, discard them.

Provide support for germinated seeds to climb on as they mature. An obelisk works nicely, but a teepee made of bamboo sticks will work also as well as a trellis or wire fence. Place seedlings out after all danger of frost has passed & the temperature is warm during daytime and not below 10įC (50įF) at ni... read more

On Mar 3, 2003, jnaples wrote:

Last summer was the first time I planted these beautiful flowers. I definately will be planting more this spring. They are beautiful, and they filled my trellis with gorgeous iridescent blue flowers. They were very easy to care for.

On Jan 9, 2003, Chamma from Tennille, GA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is one of my all time favorite annuals. I usually plant them in pots with trellises. If I plant them in the ground they keep re-sowing themselves and take-over!