PlantFiles: Morning Glory, Grannyvine
Ipomoea tricolor 'Heavenly Blue'

Family: Convolvulaceae (kon-volv-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ipomoea (ip-oh-MEE-a) (Info)
Species: tricolor (TRY-kull-lur) (Info)
Cultivar: Heavenly Blue

Synonym:Ipomoea rubrocoerulea

Not Applicable

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Medium Blue
Blue-Violet

Late Fall/Early Winter

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed
Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

By Toxicodendron

Thumbnail #6 of Ipomoea tricolor by arsenic

By branka59
Thumbnail #7 of Ipomoea tricolor by branka59

Positive bearsarecool On Aug 23, 2013, bearsarecool from Kellogg, ID wrote:

I've got to buy some of these!

Positive Kim_M On Sep 11, 2012, Kim_M from Hamburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

This plant is absolutely gorgeous. I have never seen one in person until a couple days ago. I actually had to pause and LOOK! Very beautiful. I think I'll grow these this next year.

Positive ScarlettGardnr On May 12, 2011, ScarlettGardnr from Spring, TX wrote:

I have grown Heavenly Blues successfully in Edmond, OK and am now growing them in Spring, TX, Zone 8b. I have always grown mine on a privacy fence with great results. As long as you have them trained up, off the ground and get them to the top of the fence you are in good shape and they will mound up into a beautiful blue blanket and not invade your yard/flowerbeds, etc...

Gosh, they are so bright and refreshing to see in the heat of the summer!

I fertilized one year and got lots of leaves, no flowers. Learned the hard way. Here in Spring we have TERRIBLE soil. The vines are doing great!

I also have Morning Glory Scarlett O'Hara and Cardinal Creeper (also growing on my fences, trained around twine I nailed to the fence) and both varieties are also doing extremely well. All they need is soil and water and training.

I will ALWAYS grow Heavenly Blue! They are SO EASY to grow, they are CHEAP ($1 pkt from Wal-Mart) and they CONSTANTLY turn heads!!! Like someone said in an earlier post...

"If Heavenly Blue is invasive, let it invade!!!"

Negative klutzo On Mar 19, 2011, klutzo from Clearwater, FL wrote:

I am in zone 9b.
I thought I had a green thumb until I tried to grow Heavenly Blue morning glories. This year is my 4th (and last) try at it.
I nick the end opposite the "eye", then soak in warm water until they swell and start to germinate, then I plant 1/4-1/2 inch deep, in full sun to partial shade, and provide them with large chicken wire and wood pole trellises. I do not fertilize them, having read this is a bad idea and that they like the sandy soil in our area. I planted them on 2/19 this year.
This year I tried 3 locations, hoping at least one would work out. I have them planted on trellises near an east facing fence, a north facing fence and a south facing fence, and 2 of those locations are at the back of beds full of successful plantings.
I planted 50 seeds, but only 10 came up, and after a full month, they are only about 3 inches high. Even though most people say not to water them, the north facing location gets water from our sprinklers, and those have grown the most. I have lightly hand watered the others twice weekly, since the sun is so intense here in Florida that they are wilting, even though it's only March.
Last year, I got only 3 plants and only one bloomed, producing about 7 flowers before it wilted and died.
This year, some of them already look as if a pest is eating them, but I cannot find any pests on them. I have no idea what I am doing wrong, but with ample confederate jasmine all over my west facing fence and arbor, wedelia, bitter melon, and red passion vines that require zero care all thriving, I am not likely to do this again, even though I would love to have these gorgeous blue flowers in my garden.

Neutral tinabt On Aug 4, 2010, tinabt from (Zone 9b) wrote:

I love this vine except for it is very invasive. I bought one small plant it has gone every where. Up the down spouts for the gutters,over the roof of my house. Its on my fences( i live on 5 acres)ran under my deck to the other side of the house. Through the garden. BUT.. Its worth it. Those BIG blue flowers are so intense. I actually have small airplanes from the local airport doing circles around my property. I can only imagine what it must look like from the air. Not to mention that the hummers love the flowers to. I live in the Tampa area and it does exceptionally well here. It has come back every year, the heat, the draught, the cold has not killed it. Although it would be nice if it would slow down a little!

Neutral stephyloveflower On Jul 21, 2010, stephyloveflower from McKees Rocks, PA wrote:

Planted this in the ground at the front porch from seeds in May. Could be due the fertile soil, i'm getting plenty of huge leaf and no blooms. What can i do to get blooms? Will thinning of the leaf helps? Not getting morning sun either, only afternoon sun. Thanks in advance!

Positive SudieGoodman On Apr 3, 2010, SudieGoodman from Broaddus, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Zone 8b, Heat Zone 9, Lake Sam Rayburn, deep East, TX
4-4-2010 I planted seeds of Morning Glory, Grannyvine Ipomoea tricolor 'Heavely Blue'. After soaking seeds for 24 hours in warm water, I planted them in a 4" by 20" pot. I've placed a thin lattice for my vine to run up. I may use fishing wire to start the young vine towards the lattice.
I really appreciate all the good information you folks gave on Dave's Garden!
I previously grew the old Ipomea blue that was too aggresive. It was a hand-me-down from Grandmother. It had undergound roots, ran under the house & up through the deck floor. Spouse said "it must go or it will damage the entire dwelling......I hope to have better control of Heavenly Blue. With all your good info. I feel encouraged in trying Heavely Blue.
Have a blessed Easter 2010 everyone!

Positive gardenbugde On Feb 18, 2010, gardenbugde from Smyrna, DE (Zone 7a) wrote:

How could you NOT love this beauty? It is one of my favorites and this year it will be paired with Candy Pink! I can only imagine the offspring of those two! :-) My first experience with HB was in 1978 in Illinois- My mom had a mass of them growing on a trellis next to the porch. I fell in love with them at the age of 12! The next time we grew them was in 1980 in Georgia. My Mom ammended the Georgia clay and we got them to grow up the wrought iron fence at the patio. If you have room for these, you should grow them, as you won't be disappointed!

Positive nickyskye On Jul 25, 2008, nickyskye from New York, NY wrote:

Growing Morning Glories -and a few of their relatives in the Ipomoea family- the second year in a row in hanging flower boxes on my Hell's Kitchen fire escape, which gets the full blast of the summer sun and needs particularly feisty plants to survive. With the Morning Glories I just planted the seeds in April, directly into the soil.

This year I decided to plant Heavenly Blue Morning Glories along with with Cardinal Climber ( Ipomoea sloteri), which has charming, small but intensely red, trumpet flowers and lovely, digitate shaped leaves. The Cardinal Climber blossomed quickly in June. I also planted Moonflower (Ipomoea alba), which blooms rarely, about once a week from early July with a marvelously soft fragrance. Last but not least, Sweet Potato Vine (Ipomoea Blackie) with it's beautiful purple-pink-green leaves, no flowers. All of the vines twine together.

I asked the friendly upstairs neighbor to tie a couple of strings to their fire escape, which I tied to mine below. My plants, all of the Ipomoea family, have climbed the strings, blossoming prettily on two balconies, mine and theirs. I was a bit jealous because the Cardinal Climber seemed to bloom more on my neighbor's balcony upstairs than on mine, lol. Still waiting for the Morning Glories to bloom.

At the base of the vines I planted those wonderfully indestructible, beautiful Impatiens (Variegated Double Impatiens 'Pink Ice'), which is a profuse bloomer with little rose-like hot pink flowers, Portulaca grandiflora, Campanula persicifolia with its little bell-shaped flowersand red and pink Kalanchoe blossfeldiana ('Calandiva Pink'). A visual feast and joy every day of the summer.

Positive atrotasha On Jun 25, 2008, atrotasha from New Port Richey, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

These plants are neat in Pennsylvania because they bloom in the fall time when most other plants are done blooming. They grow wild here too so it provides color on the roadsides everywhere, especially next to farming fields. I have one growing in a pot on my balcony. I guess they can be an invasive vine to a nice flower bed. Mine is on a shelf where it is free to climb wherever it wants.

Neutral rebecca101 On Mar 14, 2008, rebecca101 from Madison, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

This did not look as nice as I had expected. It is an absolutely monstrous vine - 3 or 4 plants took over about 25' feet of fence and sprawled on the ground nearby as well, smothering everything in their path. It was mostly foliage with somewhat sparse bloom - maybe my soil is too rich for it. It did not bloom for me until fall, and was killed by frost so bloom period was very short. The blue color of the flowers was pretty, but I do not think I would plant it again.

Positive woofie On Sep 8, 2007, woofie from Chewelah, WA (Zone 5a) wrote:

I'd just like to add that I've had no trouble with transplanting the vines. I started them in my greenhouse in pony packs and every one that sprouted (nearly all) survived being transplanted outdoors with no difficulty. And even the ones that didn't get moved into larger pots (I started WAY too many) keep hanging in there and have produced a few blooms in those tiny little pots. Very easy to grow and just beautiful.

Positive blue1dela On Jul 26, 2007, blue1dela from Springtown, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I am a first time gardener and heavenly blue has got me all excited about gardening. I have had no problems from planting thru vining. Just an absolute beautiful plant and so easy to grow. If heavenly blue is truly invasive; let it invade.

Positive Niere On Jun 30, 2007, Niere from Chepachet, RI (Zone 5b) wrote:

This is a great flower--I absolutely adored having it in a large pot with a trellis last summer. I also had some basil growing in the pot as well--this helped hide the bare stems as the morning glories got older. This year I'm trying them in a bed with a large trellis and they are doing very nicely. I would say one thing--while it is true these plants aren't fond of being transplanted, I can tell you that they will do very well if you start them in two-inch soil blocks started in a cold frame. That is how I started mine this year and I had no transplanting issues whatsoever.

This is a flower I would highly recommend.

Positive John155 On Sep 18, 2006, John155 from Shakopee, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I planted a 3" container in May that I found in the herb section of my local nursery. I stuck it next to my trellised garden entrance, Zone 4, clay soil, morning shade & afternoon sun. Tendrils grew rapidly (6" a day or more) and by July the vine had covered everything it could reach. I just pinched off any lower leaves that turned yellow. Buds began opening in August and each morning there are over a hundred new blooms. First time I ever had a plant that made people stop and stare! It is still going growing new tendrils with new buds and going crazy in mid-September. On cloudy days the huge flowers are open all day. Even a hail storm did not damage it. I let it latch on to some tall zinnias nearby and the combination of blue flowers on pink zinnias is amazing. I don't believe it will re-seed itself in my zone, but I will certainly plant another next spring.

Positive 3marguerites On Aug 24, 2006, 3marguerites from Albuquerque, NM wrote:

I bought small plants at a nursery and planted them in a spot that is in shade some of the time. It is doing well, of course not as well as it would in the sun and planted directly but I am enjoying new heavenly blue flowers everyday nevertheless.

Neutral Samovila On Jul 23, 2006, Samovila from San Antonio, TX wrote:

I have two that are only a few feet apart. One started out real strong, bloomed for a short while (a week or so) while the other appeared to be sickly. Now the strong one is starting to turn brown and some leaves seem to be dying off-- it no longer blooms-- and the sickly one is thriving and green, but no blooms. What could be wrong?

Neutral carolschuman On Jun 4, 2006, carolschuman from Arlington, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

Gindee77, I also had the experience of these not coming true from seed...I now have about half dozen pink blooming vines that I am sure were parented by last years Heavenly Blues. And the plants I had last year had several blooms that were mottled blue with pink spots...very strange! I am considering pulling up the pink blooming vines after I get a few more seeds...I will start them some where in the shade next year because these are very agressive seeders in the sun where they are now. I may have bought cheaper seeds, can't remember for sure what brand they were.

Positive PrairieGirlZ5 On Feb 17, 2006, PrairieGirlZ5 from Thornton, IL wrote:

This is a favorite of my childhood since we could grow it everywhere we moved (Army brat)! It is called "early" because it opens early in the day, not because it come up earlier.

Positive philomel On Feb 4, 2006, philomel from Castelnau RB Pyrenťes
France (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is my favourite Morning Glory, the colour really is a heavenly blue and the bees love it. It needs warmth and sunshine to do well, but when happy it carries on flowering for an extended period.

Positive MalvaFan On Sep 21, 2005, MalvaFan from Morrice, MI wrote:

The name Grannywine is new to me since I know it as Clarke's Early Heavenly Blue. A consistant performer in the garden. As to the poster from Saskatchewan with the negative experience, I think trying to grow them in a hanging basket was the reason, not the variety of morning glory, plus the wind did not help. they like climbing on a trellis or twine or some other means of support.

Neutral jwmdyck On Sep 7, 2005, jwmdyck from Port Royal, SC wrote:

I have a lot of morning glory vines, all volunteers draped all over the sides of my home. However, I have yet to get one single blossom this summer. It is already the 7th of September.
The plants are vigorous. I train them to cotton string which I stretch from the eves to stakes in the ground.
In previous years I had a lot of heavenly blues that did flower. I had hundreds of blossoms.
Last year there were two kinds of blossoms: heavenly blue and another very small pale purple flower. The small flower looks exactly like a morning glory except for the small size. Perhaps it is a hybrid.
However, this year I haven't even had one of those.

Positive casadog On Sep 7, 2005, casadog from Ft. Worth, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is the first year that I have ever planted anything in the ground, and I am absolutely floored at how enjoyable it all is. The blue dawn that I have is growing every day and I love the time I spend fussing with it. I got 5 or 6 flowers the first weekend after I bought it and planted it w./ a 6' climbing trellis, but alas not many since. I believe it was getting too much shade during the hot Texas summers(which probably isn't all that bad, I guess), but I have cut back the tree that was covering it. I hope this helps as this is one very beautiful plant.

Positive ineedacupoftea On Sep 6, 2005, ineedacupoftea from Denver, CO wrote:

A couple additions:
Do not fertilize,
Do not lose your sympathetic gardener's wits if they wilt in 90-110 degree weather,
Do not overwater,
Do wake up early enough to see them,
Best growth is during heat,
Do not eat their seeds; silly, [I'm sure even landfill looks like Monet's garden after eating them. Sure, "Expand" your daft prune mind via cooking it.]
Growing them on a West fence/wall keeps the morning's flowers out of the sun longer,
Direct sowing when warm outside usually (always) works better than early-sowing indoors. {For reasons of seed-adaption and soil interface...}
and the true blue looks truer next to a red-impersonator like Ipo. Scarlett O'Hara.

That's all.

Positive flowercrazy39 On Sep 3, 2005, flowercrazy39 from Manchester, NH wrote:

What a gorgeous morning glory! Does close up early in the day though.

Positive ipomoeadude On Aug 20, 2005, ipomoeadude from Accokeek, MD wrote:

In reply to redjii, many newly-sprouted morning glories look "deranged" but grow up to be perfectly healthy plants. (There may be a parallel there with a few human infants I've seen!) Also, it is absolutely true that morning glories hate to be transplanted. They should be direct-sown, either in pots (which obviously can be moved) or in the ground. Transplanting--even with extreme care--is a recipe for disaster.

Heavenly Blue is my all-time favorite morning glory. (Some vendors sell it as "Clarke's Early Heavenly Blue," which may originally have been earlier but seems just the same now.) It has stunningly gorgeous flowers of considerable size, and it is way less aggressive/invasive than the purpurea varieties. Most or all of the other i. tricolor varieties apparently began as sports of this one.

Positive EmperorDragon On Jun 8, 2005, EmperorDragon from Elk Grove, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This is just a reply to Cnswift's comment. This is my fourth year growing morning glories, and I do have Heavenly Blue doing very well in my backyard.

The withered undergrowth at the foot of the vines is normal. This will not affect the vine's ability to grow and produce flowers. As the vine grows taller, the leaves at the bottom will eventually get old and die. If you want, you can plant a row of alyssum to screen the ugly stems. It works pretty well for me. Just make sure you don't water the morning glories too much. They prefer staying on the dry side. =)

And about the mottled growth, you may get mottled growth, again, near the foot of the vines. This is because you may have gotten dirt on the leaves when you were watering or if it was raining. The leaves are very fragile and are easily bruised. Any dirt left uncleaned on the leaves will cause them to change color. Again, this will not affect the vine's ability to bloom. It's just a matter of where you're having the vines grow and if it is attractive or not. However, if you have mottled growth on new leaves and leaves higher up on the vine, it may the work of insects or disease. Aphids will attack morning glories, bringing ants with them. You may also get powdery mildew if the leaves are not allowed to dry out completely; however, do not plant morning glories where they will be blown about by the wind. They will snap and new shoots will wither and die. =)

Overall, morning glories are very easy to grow. It also readily drops seeds, so you will get blooms next year too. With just a little care, it has never failed to impress me with its brilliant blooms every year.

Positive cissyb On Jun 4, 2005, cissyb from Woodbine, GA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I've never planted this plant, it just popped up in my yard one year and has continued to come back. It dies back during the winter but faithfully returns every year. I've dug it up and moved it to different areas in my yard. At first it looks like it will not make it, but with some daily water and a little TLC it looks great within a week or so.

Positive SergioLousame On Jun 3, 2005, SergioLousame from A CoruŮa
Spain (Zone 10a) wrote:

I live in Guernsey (United Kingdom), and i sow my seeds last month. They are going very good. Hope they start climbing soon.

Neutral darylmitchell On May 25, 2005, darylmitchell from Saskatoon, SK (Zone 3a) wrote:

Do not plant morning glory in a windy, exposed area. It will wither and die within days, like the three I planted in a hanging basket. After being bashed about by the wind for two days, they all went limp, shrivelled and dried up.

** UPDATE ** After moving into a new house, I had some better locations to try morning glories again. As in real estate, the key is location, location, location. This time I planted them in a sheltered location with a trellis to climb. They were much happier here, grew up the trellis and produced beautiful blue flowers.

The only issue now is the short growing season. I bought them as bedding plants and put them out in late May, after the danger of frost had passed. It took until early July for the vines to grow large enough to start flowering. By late August the temperatures had started cooling and that put the brakes on the flowers. Nonetheless I will try them again another year.

Positive cnswift On May 18, 2005, cnswift from San Diego, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

I have two vines growing on my side yard fence. They are beautiful, yet I seem to have a lot of dead undergrowth. Is this normal? My leaves also seem somewhat mottled in color. I'm pretty new to gardening, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :D

Neutral Gindee77 On May 18, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I planted this morning glory because of it's great color. It is very invasive and the seedlings that come back aren't true to the parent color.

Positive conniecola On Apr 9, 2005, conniecola from Lincoln, NE wrote:

This is in response to a comment by Pengdot, written 8/8/2004. He or she stated these seeds were poisonous when ingested. Why would any person with half a brain ingest them to start with!? This plant is made to be grown and LOOKED at, not eaten!!!

Positive Goochola On Apr 8, 2005, Goochola from Athens
Greece (Zone 9a) wrote:

I live in Athens, Greece and planted Heavenly Blue last year that my aunt sent me from New England. I sowed the seeds in March and they grew like mad all summer and bloomed right up through December! I collected the seeds and am again growing this year, sowing in January this time. So far, there are millions of them. This time around, I noticed the dirty leaf phenomenum (thanks, Marshmellow), along with the wretched aphids and gently scrape them off not to harm the new growth, where they like to gather. My last garden was very shady and didn't get any light from September to April, and in the summer only a few hours, so they can also grow in minimal light although probably only when they have been established already in sun.

Positive tech020 On Sep 10, 2004, tech020 from North Port, FL wrote:

I live in Florida, middle west coast. I germinated some Heavenly Blue and Pearly Gates seeds in a moist paper towel, took 24hours. I planted the seeds in small pots. The sprouts were 1.5 inches after just a couple of days, which was right before hurricane Charley. After the hurricane I planted them outside around this lamp post i have in my backyard, with additional bamboo sticks for climbing support. All together after 3.5 weeks from when they first sprouted they grew to 6inches tall! And then hurricane Frances came, and destroyed my plants leaving the stems with low damage. Now just a few days after, the stems are regrowing leaves! These plants really want to live, I haven't had them in any special soil, and I haven't fertilized them at all yet.
How long does it usually take, from the time they sprout for first bloom?
Overall, this plant is really low maintenance, as long as you you can get it to survive past 3 inches in height.

Positive Marshmellow On Jun 21, 2004, Marshmellow from Fitchburg, MA wrote:

I live in New England, planted 150 or so and love the plants. Iíve been experimenting with them and this is what Iíve found works.

Growing Tips:
1. Probably the single most helpful tip is with a spray bottle of just water, or your hose set to a fine mist keep the leaves clean. In particular after every rain go out there and clean any dirt & debris that sprayed on the leaves (until the plants are over two feet tall). The leaves, in particular the two first leaves that look like a butterfly have a bad reaction to dirt. If the leaf collects enough dirt and itís left on there (which isnít much) they begin to warp and deform. The leaves turn cup shaped, wrinkly, which makes it easier for it to collect more dirt and eventually the dirt burns through the leaf or splits the leaf in two leaving a mangled mess. In the best case the glory may shoot a leaf thatís taller and wonít get as dirty (since itís not as low to the ground), it will be set back a few weeks and upwards of a month and worse case they die. Iíve had more sprouts die from dirty leaves than any other cause, and those sprouts that donít get high off the ground before spreading leaves are obviously the most susceptible. So itís important to keep the leaves clean during the critical phase of their development and not cause them undue stressÖ you can stop when they reach about 2 feet tall or more, by that point the leaves near the ground are insignificant.

2. Mulch and watering the kills them. I can see mulching might work for extremely dry areas. The Morning glories I planted in sandy crappy soil and rarely watered are the healthiest. Keep them on the dry side, the ones I kept wet and mulched are all dead, and the ones I kept moist all the time arenít doing as well as the dry.

3. Something was eating mine, I'd see more & more holes & eaten leaves each day but couldn't find them. Forcing open the leaves that hadn't yet opened I found the buggers. Tiny, peach-fuzzed fluorescent green caterpillars my best guess after looking them up are the common plume moth caterpillars. Take care of them because they can do a lot of damage and kill off many sprouts in no time. I also had aphids attack, the leaves get very wavy and wrinkly very similar to their reaction to dirt collecting on them but Iíd been keeping them clean. Then, I found the fluorescent green aphids latched underneath and took care of them.

4. Do yourself a favor and grow Moon Flower with them. That way you have blooms day & night.

5. They like sun, which is one of the reasons the further north you are (or the shadier the location) the more important to keep the leaves clean so they can maximize sunlight. Makes a big difference, not only for their health but their growth rate (sick of me saying keep those leaves clean yet?) Grown in shade they hardly growÖmy glories in almost full shade are probably a full 2 months behind the rest. I wonder if theyíll even shoot a vine at allÖ they just keep throwing out a single leaf at a time. If you are going to grow them in shade, better plant them as soon as possible!

6. Donít fertilize, Iím an organic type and any fertilizer I use is rather insignificant compared to the chemical fertilizers and I didnít fertilize them but from what people say if you fertilize them you encourage vine growth and not flowers.

7. Have fun, when the vines form they twist clockwise around what they can. I donít believe they can wrap themselves around say a split rail fence, too wide but hang fishing string and theyíll twist themselves right up.

Neutral ladytigerlilly On Apr 10, 2004, ladytigerlilly from Springtown, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I grew these beautiful blue morning glories last year. They are definitely a joy to have in the garden. The only problem I had with them were the tiny little aphid-like bugs that love to eat them. The bugs swarmed my lovely flowers covering the back sides of the leaves. They made white spots on the leaves that eventually caused them to turn brown and fall off. I was very excited to see that they reseeded themselves and are about 2 in high now. The only thing is I am afraid of those nasty bugs comming back and taking over again. If anyone knows what they are and how to get rid of them please post it! I would be extremely grateful to hear any suggestions.

Positive rihannon On Apr 10, 2004, rihannon from birmingham
United Kingdom wrote:

this grows in birmingham uk

Positive WUVIE On Feb 8, 2004, WUVIE from Hulbert, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

We grow Heavenly Blue every year on our front chain
link fence, so I have acutally not had to re-seed,
as it drops plenty for next year.

Though we live on a country road where many people
drive entirely too fast, it never fails to amuse us
at the number of people who slow down when going by
our home. I can just hear it now...
"Oh, honey, slow down, would you just look at those
beautiful flowers!"

Funny thing is, we've become known around town for
our flowers, and folks we don't even know come up to
us in Wal Mart commenting on those beautiful flowers
of blue!

:-)

Neutral redjiii On Feb 7, 2004, redjiii wrote:

I began growing Ipomoea from the seed with very limited success. Being winter time in Zone 6, I began germinating them indoors. I soaked the seeds in water for 24 hours in an effort to soften up the tough husk. When I went to remove them from the water, they had already started to germinate! I was hopeful at this point. I planted about 6 or 7 spaced evenly in one 8" pot...only four of them took hold and managed to find their way through the soil after a shallow planting (actually a fifth poked through but looked quite deranged so I got rid of it). These four began growing rapidly and in a week, all four of them had reached about 1.5" in height. I put stakes next to the stalks to provide "climbing support". The plants never took hold though. They grew to about 3.5"-4" in height and I decided to seperate them into individual pots. After this transplanting, growth seemed to halt. The plants still refused to climb and eventually, at no more than 4" in height they began to slowly wither and utlimately fall over. I have heard these plants don't like being transplanted, but this may be nothing but myth. All I know is, I was quite excited about these plants vigorous growth and quite surprised at their swift demise. What went wrong?

Neutral vegasgardener On Feb 3, 2004, vegasgardener from Las Vegas, NV wrote:

I planted the Heavenly Blue in a small garden, mainly to cover an ugly cement block wall. It seemed that the hotter it got (temperatures exceeding 100F every day), the more the vine thrived. I had to cut it back vigorously. After I moved out and rented the house, I went back once a month to maintain the small yard. After a month the vines had grown into the grass, strangled all the plants in the flower beds, and almost covered the entire wall on both sides. I think this happened because it received water everyday via a sprinkler head.

So, my advice is to plant it where it has ample room to grow, and don't water it too much. But it is an excellent plant for color and foliage in a desert environment.

Also - beware of the vines and leaves. I picked up two or three huge armfuls of the cuttings and received a severe rash on my arms.

Positive LittleShima On Oct 16, 2003, LittleShima from Tucson, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

I planted several seeds I first "notched" (nicked) with a sharp knife and soaked in water for 24 hours. These seeds were planted on an east-facing trellis that I wanted to cover towards a west-facing trellis. They were hard to train to go west, as I didn't realize that they follow the sun. They were absolutely georgeous and with a few ties I got them trained and created an arbor.

They grew easily 12 feet and were by far the most beautiful flowers I ever saw. The flowers were about 6" across and there were hundreds of them. I planted them in March and finally in September I had to cut them down simply because the lower plant was woody and had too many dead leaves. I finally wound up with about 5 trunks about 1/2" in diamater. I cut them down to about 5" and it looks like they are going to come back. But just in case I planted some on the west side and within four days they were up. This time I didn't soak or "notch" the seeds.

I am experminting with these and want as many seeds as I can get. Now the other ones I have on another trellis have bloomed twice but I am not seeing good seeds and don't know why, yet the blooms last until about noon. I have however tried to keep the dead leaves pulled off, and I think that may have something to do with having so many bloom.

Positive berrygirl On Aug 25, 2003, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is my second year growing this plant. Last year it grew on my clothesline but didn't come back this year. However, it came back at my front porch railing - where I did not plant it. Go figure!!!! I hope it comes back next year in same spot - I love the true blue color; it's absolutely gorgeous and requires no care.

Positive Lenjo On Jul 20, 2003, Lenjo from Mount Angel, OR (Zone 8a) wrote:

Ipomoea 'Heavenly Blue' is one of the greatest annual vines, the clear bright blue color is so hard to beat. It grows easily here and I do not have the trouble with this particular variety throwing its seed everywhere and coming up the next year in unwanted places. I have grown it many many times.

Neutral PurplePansies On Jul 19, 2003, PurplePansies from Deal, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

The most beautiful sky blue on large trumpet flowers with a white throat. Tall vines. Easy to grow. Do not fertilize or over water. One of the earliest closing morning glories though. I've stopped growing them simply because I never get a chance to see them open.

Positive SunshineSue On May 24, 2003, SunshineSue from Mississauga, ON (Zone 6a) wrote:

Morning Glory's hard-shelled seeds should be soaked in moist paper towel (folded over to cover seeds), placed in a bowl, covered with plastic wrap & placed on top of your fridge for at least 24 hours. Do not allow paper towel to dry out; hence the plastic wrap. Within about 24 hours, the seeds will have sprouted and can be planted shallowly in garden or container in full sun. Some seeds may not sprout. Give them an extra bit of time, but if they do not sprout, discard them.

Provide support for germinated seeds to climb on as they mature. An obelisk works nicely, but a teepee made of bamboo sticks will work also as well as a trellis or wire fence. Place seedlings out after all danger of frost has passed & the temperature is warm during daytime and not below 10įC (50įF) at night. Takes full sun all day and will require frequent watering if in a container once - maybe twice - a day depending on conditions & size of container.

As with all plants, water at the roots where the water is needed, not at the foliage or flowers which can cause disease & damage. In my zone 5b/6a garden, Morning Glory begins to bloom by early to mid-August & continues until cold fall weather arrives. A stunning display of truly blue flowers. I use a triple mix soil with extra composted cattle manure added & fertilize every week with a water soluble fetilizer.

Positive jnaples On Mar 3, 2003, jnaples wrote:

Last summer was the first time I planted these beautiful flowers. I definately will be planting more this spring. They are beautiful, and they filled my trellis with gorgeous iridescent blue flowers. They were very easy to care for.

Positive Chamma On Jan 9, 2003, Chamma from Tennille, GA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is one of my all time favorite annuals. I usually plant them in pots with trellises. If I plant them in the ground they keep re-sowing themselves and take-over!

Gaylesville, Alabama
Pocahontas, Tennessee
Arlington, Texas
Brazoria, Texas
Bulverde, Texas
Dallas, Texas (2 reports)
Deer Park, Texas
Dickinson, Texas
Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)
Liberty Hill, Texas