Madeira Vine

Anredera cordifolia

Family: Basellaceae
Genus: Anredera (an-REE-der-uh) (Info)
Species: cordifolia (kor-di-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)

Camilla, Georgia

Naalehu, Hawaii

On Oct 10, 2015, 1ainaboy from Naalehu, HI wrote:

In my experience as a gardener in the tropical and subtropical environments of Hawai'i, I find Madeira Vine to be highly invasive and challenging to eradicate. Doing so would require commitment and perseverance. I find it fast growing, smothering and dangerously prolific. It is a wet vine and heavy. It's aerial tubers can grow in to a large mass and when barely touched break apart in to seemingly dozens of viable 'seeds'. I have seen it not respond for very long to chemical herbicides. Hand removal is the best and surest approach.

On Apr 15, 2015, janelp_lee from Toronto, ON (Zone 6a) wrote:

It is a common leafy veggie in Asia, it is also medicinal.

On Oct 11, 2014, Larkie from Camilla, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I love this great smelling vine. Blooming now for me and mine is huge as I have had it in the ground for over 10 year.. Never have had it to spread at all to other places..Hardy for me in zone 8..

On Aug 3, 2010, MTVineman from Helena, MT (Zone 5a) wrote:

I love this vine. It's very beautiful and grows oh so fast! I don't think I'll have any problems with it spreading and becoming a nuisance as described below in Australia. Since I live in the high Rockies of Montana, I'm sure it would freeze to death. So, I always bring it in before the cold and then keep it outside in the Spring and Summer. This is the first year is has really taken off and gone nuts. I'm just waiting for the beautifully fragrant flowers! Does this thing ever bloom??? It's just keeps climbing and making new growth as of now. I want flowers, dang it! I have started two new plants just by taking a leaf and setting it on top of wet potting soil. A new plant immediately rises from the base of the detached leaf. How easy it is to propagate. I see how it would be easy to propag... read more

On Jul 14, 2008, geckoregen from Gold Coast
Australia wrote:

This plant is a menace and should not be considered as a garden plant. May not be a problem in colder areas, but with a warm climate and reliable water it will cause major issues.

Hundreds of thounsands of dollars are spent in NSW and Qld in Australia every year to control this weed.

On Jun 26, 2005, maryco wrote:

This plant is invasive, destructive and very difficult to eradicate. Introduce to your garden at your peril! In many parts of Australia it is responsible for the destruction of rainforests. It covers the canopy and even breaks trees under its weight. It thrives under a wide set of conditions. It reproduces via tubers and, if the vine is cut or pulled from the trees, it sprinkles the ground thousands of tubers. It is difficult to poison.

Strongly advise caution. You may not be doing someone a favour by giving them this plant.

On Jun 2, 2003, Maudie from Harvest, AL wrote:

Maderia vine is a rapid growing vine with attractive heart-shaped leaves. The tuber grows with age but I do not find it invasive. ` The flowers are fragrant as well as attractive and loved by bees and butterflies. It is very easily grown given sufficient water and a trellis. This is a good plant to give to a child for his/her first plant experience. My grandmother gave me one when I was a child and I will always remember and treasure the memory.