PlantFiles: Madeira Vine
Anredera cordifolia

Family: Basellaceae
Genus: Anredera (an-REE-der-uh) (Info)
Species: cordifolia (kor-di-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)

By kennedyh
Thumbnail #1 of Anredera cordifolia by kennedyh

By Zaragoza
Thumbnail #2 of Anredera cordifolia by Zaragoza

By palmbob
Thumbnail #3 of Anredera cordifolia by palmbob

Positive MTVineman On Aug 3, 2010, MTVineman from Helena, MT (Zone 5a) wrote:

I love this vine. It's very beautiful and grows oh so fast! I don't think I'll have any problems with it spreading and becoming a nuisance as described below in Australia. Since I live in the high Rockies of Montana, I'm sure it would freeze to death. So, I always bring it in before the cold and then keep it outside in the Spring and Summer. This is the first year is has really taken off and gone nuts. I'm just waiting for the beautifully fragrant flowers! Does this thing ever bloom??? It's just keeps climbing and making new growth as of now. I want flowers, dang it! I have started two new plants just by taking a leaf and setting it on top of wet potting soil. A new plant immediately rises from the base of the detached leaf. How easy it is to propagate. I see how it would be easy to propagate with the tubers it makes too. Mine is making some now. This thing grows a few feet in one day. I'm not kidding!

Negative geckoregen On Jul 14, 2008, geckoregen from Gold Coast
Australia wrote:

This plant is a menace and should not be considered as a garden plant. May not be a problem in colder areas, but with a warm climate and reliable water it will cause major issues.

Hundreds of thounsands of dollars are spent in NSW and Qld in Australia every year to control this weed.

Negative maryco On Jun 26, 2005, maryco wrote:

This plant is invasive, destructive and very difficult to eradicate. Introduce to your garden at your peril! In many parts of Australia it is responsible for the destruction of rainforests. It covers the canopy and even breaks trees under its weight. It thrives under a wide set of conditions. It reproduces via tubers and, if the vine is cut or pulled from the trees, it sprinkles the ground thousands of tubers. It is difficult to poison.

Strongly advise caution. You may not be doing someone a favour by giving them this plant.

Positive Maudie On Jun 2, 2003, Maudie from Harvest, AL wrote:

Maderia vine is a rapid growing vine with attractive heart-shaped leaves. The tuber grows with age but I do not find it invasive. ` The flowers are fragrant as well as attractive and loved by bees and butterflies. It is very easily grown given sufficient water and a trellis. This is a good plant to give to a child for his/her first plant experience. My grandmother gave me one when I was a child and I will always remember and treasure the memory.