PlantFiles: Hill Raspberry, Mysore Raspberry, Black Raspberry, Indian Raspberry
Rubus niveus

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rubus (ROO-bus) (Info)
Species: niveus (NIV-ee-us) (Info)

Edible Fruits and Nuts

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

By simple layering

By Metrosideros
Thumbnail #3 of Rubus niveus by Metrosideros

Positive robertbgillies On Sep 9, 2014, robertbgillies from Volcan
Panama wrote:

I live in Volcan, Chiriqui, the Republic of Panama at 1400 meters in elevation. This plant has naturalized in my area and I have quite a few plants on my property. I haven't tried to actually cultivate it but I protect the plants wherever they come up as they are pretty tasty. The plants are fairly common in my area but not really invasive. They seem to be mostly spread by seed as the birds like to eat them. There never seems to be enough of them to harvest very many but they bear throughout the year so there is often enough to eat out of hand. When it rains excessively they don't taste as good but otherwise they are not bad. Our area is frost-free but it never gets very hot because of the elevation. I think it helps to prune out the older canes.

Positive jebbroyles On Jul 4, 2013, jebbroyles from Baton Rouge, LA wrote:

I was a bit hesitant to grow these after a wide range of comments about the taste, as well as concerns about the invasiveness and thorns. I planted three of these 1 1/2 years ago. They are in slightly different locations, and it's interesting how the taste of the berries varies between the plants. Basically, the plant that gets the least amount of sun has the most, biggest, and sweetest berries. It gets probably 3-4 hours of morning sun. The other two get 5 and 7 hours. All three plants are in a raised bed with lots of peat, daily irrigation, and frequent fertilizer with 24-8-16. Everyone in our family likes the taste of these even better than the blackberries we are growing. I prune the large canes occasionally, and invasiveness has not been a problem (although I'll admit it's still a bit early for the assessment). This year, they produced from early April to mid June. We had a mild winter and the plants didn't have any freeze damage. I think the coldest it got was 28.

Negative lahomesteader On Apr 20, 2012, lahomesteader from Loranger, LA wrote:

I was looking for a raspberry that would grow in the humid SE Louisiana. Will it grow? Absolutely. But my conclusion , after two years, is "Don't Bother".
Fruits are - at best- insipid to tasteless. Not only not sweet, they essentialy have no flavor whatsoever.
This is the second year for them - First year was the same, but I figured I'd give them another year. Got a decent crop of berries, but the flavor did not improve. Gave the experiment a shot, but out they come.

Positive Metrosideros On Mar 27, 2012, Metrosideros from Keaau, HI wrote:

It is not a pest in Hawai'i.

The Rubus weed in Hawai'i is Rubus rosifolius, Thimbleberry.

The Mysore Raspberry, so far , stays where you put it!

It is a heavy producer.

Rubus ellipticus is established as a weed in upcountry areas.

The Mysore Raspberry is reproducing by suckers, but not by seed, and is a good garden addition in Hawai'i.

Negative punaheledp On Jul 11, 2004, punaheledp from Kailua, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

pest plant in Hawaii with major infestations on Maui & Big Is. Also known as "mysore raspberry".

Boca Raton, Florida