PlantFiles: Garden Loosestrife
Lysimachia vulgaris

Family: Primulaceae
Genus: Lysimachia (ly-si-MAK-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: vulgaris (vul-GAIR-iss) (Info)

Herbs

Very high moisture needs; suitable for bogs and water gardens

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

Thumbnail #6 of Lysimachia vulgaris by kennedyh

By stormyla
Thumbnail #7 of Lysimachia vulgaris by stormyla

Negative coriaceous On Feb 21, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

It is illegal to trade, transport, or plant this species in two states, because it has been known to invade natural areas and impoverish habitat.

According to the USDA, it's naturalized in 22 states and 5 provinces.

Positive lmelling On Dec 30, 2004, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

As with 'Gooseneck' loosestrife I have not had the problems with the Garden or 'Yellow' loosestrife being aggressive as others have. It may be the soil native to this patch of earth - a hard clay with a little loam on top. In the parts of the garden I've planted these particular plants they get at least 6 hours of sun during the summer and I've not amended the soil as I have in other parts of the garden. We also have many springs which tend to keep the garden well watered except in drought years, so I give little care to the loosestrife.

I have two patches of the yellow loosestrife about 40' apart and both act pretty much the same - growth has been moderate, they are a reliable plant to bloom, and neither try to bloom outside their borders much - if so, stragglers are easily removed.

Positive vavsie On Dec 26, 2004, vavsie from Corfu, NY wrote:

Positive-I found some in an overgrown part of my mother's garden (now mine). I hike regularly and have never seen it as an escapee in Western New York. Mine is covered with flowers and several stems but is quite contained. I have wetlands and it has not appeared there in 40 years. I think people panick at the word "loosestrife" even though this is in the primrose family, and is not in the same family as Purple Loosestrife.

Negative KCnoxiousweeds On Jun 28, 2004, KCnoxiousweeds from Seattle, WA wrote:

Aggressive wetland invader in the Pacific Northwest, specifically Western Washington. Seems to be out competing Purple Loosestrife. Spreads aggressively by rhizomes and seeds in this climate. Listed as a Noxious weed and is illegal for sale or to grow in Washington State.

Positive Jesusfish On Jul 14, 2003, Jesusfish from La Salle, IL wrote:

I adore this little guy. I took him from my grandmothers garden, (all of the grandchildren did, the week she was under hospice care). She died about 6 days later. We all (the cousins) thought that it would be a grand tribute not to let her gardens be forgotten. She loved them and tended them. I have about 20 plants, and this one I could never identify. Finally I found out what it was and was overjoyed just to know his name.

He needs little care and has the cutest little bell shaped flowers that grow up and down its stem. As long as he has water he's good to go.

Warning: can be invasive, not rapidly though...just cut off what has invaded and the problem is solved. It will stay where you want it with a little pruning around the sides.

Perennial that flowers several times a year, that needs little care is ok by me :)

Jesusfish

Neutral lupinelover On Feb 1, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

This species must be well-established before it flowers, sometimes for a few years.

In a few places, Garden Loosestrife seems to be out-competing Purple Loosestrife. It is considered to be an Invasive Alien in some US states, and as such, may be banned from commerce.

Lasalle, Illinois