Field Bindweed
Convolvulus arvensis

Family: Convolvulaceae (kon-volv-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Convolvulus (kon-VOLV-yoo-lus) (Info)
Species: arvensis (ar-VEN-sis) (Info)

Pale Pink

Woodland Park, Colorado

Wilmington, Delaware

Boise, Idaho

Westchester, Illinois

Indianapolis, Indiana (2 reports)

Derby, Kansas

Colville, Washington

Spokane, Washington

Menasha, Wisconsin

On Oct 12, 2014, drke from Albuquerque, NM wrote:

I gave up vegetable gardening due to bindweed. I work 50 hours a week and then would come home and spend 8 hours on the weekend pulling bindweed in a small garden. God forbid that I would miss a weekend. Bindweed won, hands down, no contest. Those who say that if you are diligent it can be controlled are wrong - it cant. If you are willing to never water it can be controlled it will go semi-dormant. I've read that it does well in hot humid regions, in cold dry regions, in cold wet regions and I can assure you that it thrives and out competes any other plant in hot dry regions. Interestingly enough, its only been recognized in New Mexico since 1890 not long ago. Now it is in every county in NM.

On Jun 30, 2014, mountainviewer from Fort Collins, CO wrote:

One of the worst weeds ever. I have tried to kill it many ways - but without complete success. Cutting it down to the ground and then putting a large rock over where it was may slow down its growth. I have tried putting diseased-looking bindweed clippings in it hoping that "bindweed mites" will transfer from the diseased bindweed to the other bindweed.

On Jun 4, 2012, hermioneann from Indianapolis, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

It is a pity that this plant is so terribly invasive, because the flowers are quite beautiful. Still, seeing how it reacts (or rather, doesn't) react to the chemicals the landscapers at work use on it, I can't justify intentionally planting it anywhere.

On Oct 22, 2010, stantonslb from Long Beach, CA wrote:

I have this weed in my garden, here in Long Beach, CA. Everywhere I travel in the Southern California area; I see this weed taking gardens over. Recently I went to a Home Depot and found them selling it!! It's highly invasive and I have tried everything to ride my garden of this plant.

On Sep 29, 2009, purplesun from Krapets
Bulgaria (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is as pestilent a plant as it gets. I think it is native here, in Bulgaria. The bulk of the time I spend weeding my garden here in Northeastern Bulgaria is occupied with unwinding the stems of this plant from my ornamentals. Truly a disgusting plant.

On Aug 11, 2008, philomel from Castelnau RB Pyrenes
France (Zone 8a) wrote:

I can only think that the vitriole with which most people are writing about this plant comes from confusion with the larger growing and white (or, rarely, completely pink) flowered Calystegias.
Convolvulus arvensis has striped pink and white flowers, less than an inch across. Here in its native territory it tries to scramble through the lavender (and looks very pretty), but it is easily dug out as the root system is by no means extensive.

I fought against the thuggish Calystegia sepium in the UK, and if C. arvensis grows atypically to become invasive in the US I sympathise. However, here in Europe it is only mildly invasive if at all, and an attractive part of the wild flora in my opinion.

On Jun 24, 2008, hildaham from Helena, MT (Zone 4a) wrote:

I have my lawn sprayed every year to control bindweed - notice I said "control" - it's impossible to eradicate. It has invaded my gardens, and I am very tempted to move. It's enough to make any gardener cry. I have also read that the leaves of this plant are poisonous, so I have to be careful when harvesting lettuce so bindweed doesn't sneak in with it.

On Jan 20, 2008, Fledgeling from Huron, SD wrote:

Worst weed ever, its not just A weed, its THE weed. I have pulled and ripped for years, and roundup did nothing im going to use brush killer next year. It grows through all my plants and shades them out. If I dont keep on it - it will smother everything some areas here are bindweed wastelands it smothers even the weedy smooth brome. I never use chemicals but im at the end of my rope and might just have to find a left-over coldwar weapon and NUKE it.

On Sep 12, 2007, snowcapedcactus from mountian springs, NV wrote:

very very very persistant plant.......... very arid conditions here......at 6000 ft.....summers are hot (100) and dry.........winters are cold (0) and dry.........almost never give it water and it still rambles on and on and on...........i allowed it to grow as a ground cover to fill in the disturbed areas around the property........it finds no trouble doing so........definatly vines more than bushes........i cannot say if it is poisonous to any animal but i have never seen the birds eating seed from it.....nor the deer grazing it..........it doesnt get out of control here becuase of the aridity..........but it still rides through the worst of our droughts without ever succumbing...........loads of white flowers in the morning.........

On Jul 8, 2007, bigcityal from Menasha, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

Very much a dry summertime weed in lawns. Suppressed better by thicker growing turf.

On Jun 24, 2007, amandaemily from Gulf Coast
United States (Zone 9a) wrote:

Very invasive plant!!! Do not even think of planting this

Only way I can even grow anything in my back garden is to pull the vines as I see them on a weekly basis. Roundup will kill it for a few weeks in the outlying areas, but it will return with a vengeance.

On Jun 2, 2007, spidra from Berkeley, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Ev0l, evil plant! Not my most hated weed because at least I don't have to pick the seeds out of the soil as with Spanish burclover and Cleavers, but not even a heavy sheetmulch will stop this opportunist. While I can admire its evolution to be this successful, I could bludgeon whoever introduced this to our state.

On May 30, 2007, NoxiousWeedsRUs from Salt Lake City, UT wrote:

For heaven's sakes, how anyone could not rate this plant negative is beyond me. I think Dave's Garden ought to consider a special category for plants like this. It would immediately warn people about the plants' noxiousness by a red circle with a slash through it or something like that. As one of the other posters noted, most states have officially designated this plant as noxious and many of us have had terrible experiences with it. I can't imagine it's as bad as Kudzu, from what I saw when visiting Atlanta, but it's bad!

To put this plant in perspective, I have a number of noxious plants in my garden (thanks to the previous owners and/or several years of neglect before I moved in), including bamboo, myrtle spurge, mint, crabgrass, black medic, clover, and Virginia cree... read more

On Dec 19, 2006, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Field Bindweed Convolvulus arvensis is naturalized in Texas and other States and is considered an invasive noxious plant in Texas.

On Feb 8, 2006, raisedbedbob from Walkerton, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

A noxious weed for sure; however it's worth noting that, in European folk use, a tea made from the flower, leaf and root was used as a laxative. Tea made from the flower alone was used to heal fevers and wounds. Root tea was a strong purgative.

On Jan 18, 2006, ineedacupoftea from Denver, CO wrote:

Downright evil. Rototilling can divide and propagate to roots, seeds can be dormant for decades, and they climb over competitors. The methods I suggest in the garden for killing the rascal: Religious application of herbicidal cocktail with a paintbrush, and immediate and continued pulling.

On Jan 2, 2006, davefr from Tallassee, AL wrote:

It started last year. Given the arrow-shaped leaves and slight purple color, I thought it was some over wintered sweet potato. So I let it grow. What a mistake! It took over three 4X20 raised beds, while I was on a two week vacation in July.

Today, January 2nd, 2006, I started the cleanup of these beds and the eradication of the bindweed. The bindweed has all died with the killing frost, but underground is another story! It has a pencil thick tap root which will break about 4-5 inches deep when pulled. It also has numerous thinner cross roots that radiate out in every direction and depth. I pulled about two buckets of bindweed roots and probably only got 65-75% of them.

I will continue to pull and destroy as I see them while planting in these beds or cultiva... read more

On Dec 3, 2004, TuttiFrutti from Spokane Valley, WA (Zone 5b) wrote:

Extremely invasive! Runners turned up in our newly cleared and tilled 18'x20' garden plot within three months; pulling it out encouraged its return in denser clumps. Clipping the vines at their base seemed the only way to keep it from choking out many of our vegetables this past summer!

On Nov 12, 2004, cherishlife from Pocola, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Several states have this plant listed with the USDA as a noxious weed.

Alaska:
Arizona:
field bindweed Prohibited noxious weed
field bindweed Regulated noxious weeds
Arkansas:
California:
field bindweed C list (noxious weeds)
Colorado:
Hawaii:
Idaho:
Iowa:
European morning glory, field bindweed Primary noxious weed
Kansas:
field bindweed No... read more

On Sep 29, 2004, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Field bindweed is one of the worst weeds to try to eradicate because it has an extensive root system. In fact, the roots can grow down more than ten feet. If it is cut or dug, the remaining rhizomes in the ground will send up new shoots. In addition, bindweed seeds can remain viable for up to fifty years. It is considered one of the ten worst weeds.

On Aug 12, 2004, BingsBell from SC, MT (Zone 5a) wrote:

This very invasive weed can raise 4 inches of asphalt to reach the sun. Mind you the asphalt was laid HOT over the plant and didn't kill it. It aptly named bindweed because it binds what ever it touches. It will crawl under trucks waiting for harvest time and literally invade the engines, drive lines, wheels, It comes up where ever it pleases and doesn't need light to do it. It chokes good plants to death. It is next to impossible to kill off.

On Jun 20, 2004, CaptMicha from Brookeville, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

I changed my rating to neg.

It's every where and when you remove it, it just pops back up. Using weed killers doesn't seem to affect it.

On Jun 13, 2004, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

This plant adores our hot, humid summers and little seems to put a halt to it.

I have pulled it,chopped it, poisoned it and burned it to no avail. I burn my vegetable garden off each fall to destroy at least part of the seeds that drop there. Since I won't use chemicals around my vegetables, I just have to rely on old fashioned sweat to keep it under control.

I have a moderate infestation, but just one season of carelessness would have me over run by the stuff. I think it's worse than Kudzu.

On May 30, 2004, joannajayne from East Meadow, NY wrote:

This is the WORST weed I have ever encountered. It spreads its roots underground and pops up everywhere in my perennial bed. It has spread into my rhododendrums and requires pulling out every three to four days. It is now traveling underground towards my vegetable garden, popping up in the lawn en route. When it gets there I'm moving!

On May 22, 2003, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

I have been fighting this forever it seems. I tried digging it out, but the roots seem to go way, way deep. I have resorted to using roundup and other chemicals on it for the past 5 years. I've cut the amount down, but it takes more than one application to kill it. After the first dose, it just looks like it has the flu, then puts out more flowers and seeds. Nasty, nasty weed here. I've also read that the seeds can stay dormant in the soil for up to 50 years, then start growing again.

This plant is listed on the North Dakota invasive/troublesome list and this information is being distributed in a guide developed by the ND Weed Control Association and other agencies.

Plant Features
Perennial, creeping twining stems up to 6 feet
Variabl... read more

On Jan 25, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

This plant has been declared a noxious weed in almost every state in the US as well as in many other countries. The roots can spread to 20', with new growing points appearing from them. It can best be controlled by repeatedly removing the stems, or by continued application of chemical herbicides.