PlantFiles: Dudaim Melon, Apple Melon, Queen Anne's Pocket Melon, Vine Pomegranate, Plum Granny, Wild Muskmelon
Cucumis melo var. dudaim

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucumis (KOO-koo-mis) (Info)
Species: melo var. dudaim

Synonym:Cucumis odoratissimus
Synonym:Cucumis dudaim var. aegyptiacus
Synonym:Cucumis aromaticus

Not Applicable

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

Thumbnail #1 of Cucumis melo var. dudaim by gardenwife

Thumbnail #5 of Cucumis melo var. dudaim by zarcanat

By gotpeace91
Thumbnail #6 of Cucumis melo var. dudaim by gotpeace91

Positive grandmary38 On Aug 2, 2011, grandmary38 from Florence, AL wrote:

We planted pocket melon seed saved last year. A friend gave me a melon,(he called it a pomegranate) and I was intrigued by the fragrance. It was new to me, but I've found that many others had them growing up.
We have a bumper crop from 5 prolific plants, and we give them away to anyone who wants one.
It's not flavorful to eat, but is interesting to have in the garden or on a trellis just for the lovely fragrance.

Positive dabneyrose On Apr 13, 2009, dabneyrose from Greensboro, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

I ordered seed when I read they were 'very aromatic' and when it riped, sitting around, it perfumed my whole kitchen. Being a flower/frangrance distiller, I threw it in the still pot and distilled it. Now I have the fragrance as a liquid hydrosol I can drink or spray on my skin. :)

Positive eastpiney2000 On Mar 18, 2009, eastpiney2000 from Nashville, TN wrote:

I grew these 50+ years ago in Dickson, TN where they were called pomegranites. They taste OK when you put a little lemon juice on them.

Positive bekados On Mar 4, 2008, bekados from Pensacola, FL wrote:

I remember this plant growing wild behind my parents' house when I was a child. Twenty years later, not a scrap of it can be found. I didn't know what it was and always imagined it to be a miniature watermelon. What a great addition to a child's or fairy garden!

Neutral gardenwife On Aug 11, 2005, gardenwife from Newark, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I've been told it is nasty-tasting, so its value comes from the scent. When mine ripens, I'll be brave and try a bite. Stay tuned!

Update 10/6/2006: I tasted it, but was unimpressed. It's really pretty bland, nothing I'd grow for consumption. For me, it was a novelty and I didn't end up growing it again this season.

Positive Terry On Jun 14, 2003, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Considered a weed and competitor to cultivated melons by commercial growers, this plant's fragrant fruit were carried in past times in ladies' pockets to provide a pleasing scent.

Florence, Alabama
Gravette, Arkansas
Clearlake, California
Pensacola, Florida
Cumming, Georgia (2 reports)
Dayton, Kentucky