Dudaim Melon, Apple Melon, Queen Anne's Pocket Melon, Vine Pomegranate, Plum Granny, Wild Muskmelon
Cucumis melo var. dudaim

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucumis (KOO-koo-mis) (Info)
Species: melo var. dudaim
Synonym:Cucumis odoratissimus
Synonym:Cucumis dudaim var. aegyptiacus
Synonym:Cucumis aromaticus

Not Applicable

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

Florence, Alabama

Gravette, Arkansas

Clearlake, California

Pensacola, Florida

Cumming, Georgia (2 reports)

Dayton, Kentucky

Westmoreland, Tennessee

Santa Fe, Texas

Marinette, Wisconsin

On Aug 2, 2011, grandmary38 from Florence, AL wrote:

We planted pocket melon seed saved last year. A friend gave me a melon,(he called it a pomegranate) and I was intrigued by the fragrance. It was new to me, but I've found that many others had them growing up.
We have a bumper crop from 5 prolific plants, and we give them away to anyone who wants one.
It's not flavorful to eat, but is interesting to have in the garden or on a trellis just for the lovely fragrance.

On Apr 13, 2009, dabneyrose from Greensboro, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

I ordered seed when I read they were 'very aromatic' and when it riped, sitting around, it perfumed my whole kitchen. Being a flower/frangrance distiller, I threw it in the still pot and distilled it. Now I have the fragrance as a liquid hydrosol I can drink or spray on my skin. :)

On Mar 18, 2009, eastpiney2000 from Nashville, TN wrote:

I grew these 50+ years ago in Dickson, TN where they were called pomegranites. They taste OK when you put a little lemon juice on them.

On Mar 4, 2008, bekados from Pensacola, FL wrote:

I remember this plant growing wild behind my parents' house when I was a child. Twenty years later, not a scrap of it can be found. I didn't know what it was and always imagined it to be a miniature watermelon. What a great addition to a child's or fairy garden!

On Aug 11, 2005, gardenwife from Newark, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I've been told it is nasty-tasting, so its value comes from the scent. When mine ripens, I'll be brave and try a bite. Stay tuned!

Update 10/6/2006: I tasted it, but was unimpressed. It's really pretty bland, nothing I'd grow for consumption. For me, it was a novelty and I didn't end up growing it again this season.

On Jun 14, 2003, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Considered a weed and competitor to cultivated melons by commercial growers, this plant's fragrant fruit were carried in past times in ladies' pockets to provide a pleasing scent.