Curly Dock

Rumex crispus

Family: Polygonaceae
Genus: Rumex (ROO-meks) (Info)
Species: crispus (KRISP-us) (Info)

Pale Green

Direct sow as soon as the ground can be worked

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Seward, Alaska

Lake Dallas, Texas

Salt Lake City, Utah

Trenton, Utah

On May 21, 2014, tweeber from West Valley City, UT (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have a couple of these that I started from seed a few years ago. One is about 8' tall (see picture) and the other is only about 3' tall but has a couple different stalks. The main reasons I like this plant are that the seeds attract birds and the leaves are large and provide good shade for the soil so it doesn't dry out. You can grow it almost anywhere and it will thrive. It hasn't spread very much mainly because I think the birds eat the seeds or scatter them in areas away from my house. It doesn't seem to be a problem plant for me. My wife loves them and our cats do too.

On Feb 21, 2011, holeth from Corpus Christi, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

The PA Germans/"PA Dutch" taught me to call this plant "Indian Tobacco," although I know that common name is _also_ used locally to refer to dogbane. (Dogbane is a close kin to asclepias.)

Curly dock has one tough taproot. If I can't dig a plant when it's young, I can only manage to keep it trimmed on the surface & prevent seed. We have several growing entangled in our metal critter fencing. I can't dig them out without wrecking the fence.

On Jan 27, 2010, rockgardner from Billerica, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I know it's considered a weed to most people but I kind of like it. It's certainly not been a problem on my property, and the rusty colored seed stalks add a nice contrast to the parts of my yard where I just let grow wild. Considering how many seeds are on those stalks I'm surprised to see only a dozen or so plants come up every year. I pull them all up before the first snow or if they flop over as a precaution to keep them in check.

On Jul 8, 2008, olmpiad from Dallas, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

A common "weed" to many, Curly Dock has been used for quite a long time, for both it's leaves, and it's seeds. Early settlers would use the seeds as a substitute for flour. The leaves, when young, can be used to make salads, but care must be taken, as they contain oxalic acid, which can cause bladder/kidney stones in excess. This is avoided by boiling the leaves.

On Jul 13, 2006, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

An annoying weed with a gazillion seeds. Common in vegetable gardens, commercial crops, abandoned lots and barnyards.

The seeds are attractive to wildlife and that's a redeeming quality, but I still pull it out wherever it crops up on my property.