PlantFiles: Climbing Hempweed, Climbing Hempvine, Climbing Boneset
Mikania scandens

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Mikania (mik-KAY-nee-uh) (Info)
Species: scandens (SKAN-dens) (Info)

Synonym:Mikania angulosa

Thumbnail #6 of Mikania scandens by Jeff_Beck

By MotherNature4
Thumbnail #7 of Mikania scandens by MotherNature4

Negative durhamdave On Jul 8, 2012, durhamdave from Durham, NC wrote:

I live next to a 10-acre lake in Durham, NC. I first noticed Mikania scadens growing on an alder along the shore roughly 4 years go and decided to let it grow to see what type of flower it would produce. I know view my decision to let it go to seed as a major mistake. It is now growing in multiple wet areas along the shore as well as in dry soils elsewhere in the neighborhood. It grows very rapidly in moist soil. Within a month it can go from a sprig to multiple runners 4-6 ft long. I've come to view it as aquatic kudzu and have been hand pulling and trying to remove it roots (a fiberous mat growing in the water). I ended up at Dave's Garden after googling looking for suggestion for control. HELP if you have any experience!

Neutral AnaM149 On Nov 20, 2011, AnaM149 from Casselberry, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

This one came out of nowhere and it sure grows fast. It took me a few days to figure out what it was. Thankfully, the winds have been out of the East so that the seeds are all blowing to the neighbors' yards and I shouldn't have too many sprouting soon. It smells pretty and sweet, the critters love it attracting the wasp moth, too. If anything, I'll deadhead it until I get tired of it. Still too early to think negative or just neutral.

Positive jcpmii On Aug 22, 2011, jcpmii from Evendale, OH wrote:

This was a volunteer addition that started growing along a hedge row last year. The blooms are AMAZING for attracting all sorts of butterflies, dragonflies, and insects.

As a photographer, I have enjoed having this in my yard , both for its own beauty,a nd for the photo opportunities it has provided. The scent is very sweet.

It will grow and spread quickly, so you do have to trim it back, or it will try to take over.

My friend is going to try to grow some vines from the seed pods I am collecting

Negative LadySmith94 On Sep 27, 2010, LadySmith94 from Roby, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

While I find this plant quite lovely, it is growing wild in my yard- covering shrubs and rosebushes and growing on a fence where it is not wanted. I have pulled some of it out and will be removing more. I may try to put it in an area that it would be wanted. I do not know how it came to be here. It was here when I moved here.

Positive Beach_Barbie On Dec 24, 2009, Beach_Barbie from Kure Beach, NC (Zone 9a) wrote:

i've been growing this for several years. The one I originally planted still comes back every year, as do some volunteers. I don't find it to be invasive, I just pull up the ones that start where I don't want them and the others, I've let grow.

Neutral MotherNature4 On Sep 25, 2004, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

M. scandens festoons large shrumbs and trees with clouds of smoky white flowers in autumn. It is found in the swamps & sunny, wet areas throughout most of the peninsula of Florida.

Indian Springs Village, Alabama