Cherry Silverberry, Goumi
Elaeagnus multiflora

Family: Elaeagnaceae
Genus: Elaeagnus (el-ee-AG-nus) (Info)
Species: multiflora (mul-tih-FLOR-uh) (Info)

Edible Fruits and Nuts

Wynantskill, New York

Hillsboro, Oregon

Burlington, Vermont

On Jan 9, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

A large shrub (not a tree) flowering in early June. Flowers are not especially conspicuous but are sweetly fragrant and perfume the air.

The red fruits are sweet-and-tart---I find them tasty, and they remind me of sour cherries (P. cerasus) or cornelian cherries (Cornus mas). If you're thinking of harvesting fruit, there are cultivars selected for improved fruit quality and productivity. Goumi are self-fertile.

The leaves are green above and silver on the underside.

This is a tough easy shrub that's very adaptable about soil as long as it's well drained. It fixes atmospheric nitrogen and improves the soil.

According to BONAP, this species has rarely naturalized in N. America and unlike some of its relations it is not invasive.

On Jul 9, 2011, colluvial from Burlington, VT wrote:

I planted a Goumi that I bought from Burnt Ridge Nursery a year ago last spring. It's an attractive bush with foliage that's olive green on top and silver on the bottom. The twigs are reddish brown. It's been a moderate grower and bore a couple handfuls of berries this year in late June. The taste of the fruit is a balance of sweet and sour with a bit of astringency - not really comparable to any common fruits. It provides a pleasant nibble in the garden but would probably be more generally popular if prepared in jams, sauces, or juices. The seed is fairly large compared to the fruit, easy to spit out if eating fresh and, though I haven't tried it, probably easy to separate in a food mill if processing.

On Feb 4, 2011, skitdora from Wynantskill, NY wrote:

I bought this plant (I believe this plant) back in 2006 from Jung Seed under what they called Goumi Sweet Scarlet. I have seen Red Gem offered from One Green World, but my plant seems to bear enough berries on it's own without needing cross-pollination. I have read stories of people buying this and receiving an Autumn Olive. I can only assume what I have is what I agreed to buy.
I love this plant. It is on the far edge of my property so has grown up neglected by me. I watered it twice it's first year. It is robust and has withstood bitter cold winters without die back. It keeps it's leaves during droughts. The deer even leave it alone. It is my second favorite plant, just under my golden raspberries. It has fruited for me in late July. The berries just drop. I've read your suppose... read more

On May 16, 2010, sunnywan from Omaha, NE wrote:

I purchased this plant last year. It is about 3 ft high and very healthy, but I expected it to bloom and bear fruit, and it hasn't yet. If anyone has any experience with it, and how long it takes to produce, also if it needs a polinator, please let me know.