PlantFiles: Bellyache Bush
Jatropha gossypifolia

Family: Euphorbiaceae (yoo-for-bee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Jatropha (JAT-roh-fuh) (Info)
Species: gossypifolia (gos-sip-ee-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Scarlet (Dark Red)

Bronze-Green

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Thumbnail #1 of Jatropha gossypifolia by Chamma

By sa_haiad
Thumbnail #6 of Jatropha gossypifolia by sa_haiad

By sa_haiad
Thumbnail #7 of Jatropha gossypifolia by sa_haiad

Positive TropicalPam On Aug 17, 2013, TropicalPam from Cooper City, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

I love the purple in this plant and mine just bloomed cute little flowers :) I just read that this plant is carnivorous???? Anyone know anything about that....is it the sticky hairs on the stems that get the bugs???? Like a sundew plants???? I love carnivorous plants so I love this one even more now LOL!!!! I keep mine in a pot so it doesn't spread.

Positive digforrestdig On Dec 7, 2011, digforrestdig from West Palm Beach, FL wrote:

I always called this plant a coffee plant, but I had a feeling it must of been something else. Every1 seems to adore this plant, I like it as well as it has a very cool look...

Positive claireblair On Jul 15, 2011, claireblair from St Eustatius
Netherlands Antilles wrote:

We have these growing wild in the Caribbean and we call them Pondu. They have traditionally been used here for skin conditions such as bites and stings. Today in fact one of my volunteers that works for me in the Botanical Gardens got stung by a Yellow Jacketed Hornet and I gave him some Pondu. It takes the pain away really quickly and it's a very painful sting!

Negative Z4golfer On Jul 11, 2011, Z4golfer from Houston, TX wrote:

Beautiful plant, but a weed, nevertheless! It shoots its seeds all over the place. It kind of sounds like caps being struck and the next thing, it is a hurling seeds through the air. I have been pulling this plant for 4 years and I still get one occasionally peeking its head through the mulch. I prefer a Jatropha tree over this plant that was originally given to me.

Positive Anjana On Apr 13, 2011, Anjana from Delhi
India wrote:

this plant grows in my delhi and rajasthan homes in india. in soil it can become a medium sized tree. i keep it outside my kitchen as my former housekeeper treated a deep cut from a knife to his hand with sap of this plant. it immediately stopped the spurting blood flow.

Positive IslandJim On Jun 5, 2004, IslandJim from Keizer, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

I first got one of these plants at a plant sale at the local cactus and succulent society. It was planted on the clubhouse grounds and I noticed it had seeded itself around. So I decided to keep it in a pot on the patio. It has not seeded itself anywhere in the 3 or 4 years I've had it. I really like the look of it.

Negative palmbob On Aug 29, 2003, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I love trying to grow Jatrophas in So Cal, and this is one that did better than expected. It turned into a gorgeous little tree about 3' tall and with 30+ little twisted branches... sort of like a big bonsai tree. Then it produced lots of little flowers and the next thing I know it's everywhere. It is a very easy weed to pull up, but it has become a weed, nontheless. And it's a really sticky, gooed plant to prune. It also doesn't take watering heavily in the winter (the main plant rotted about 4 years after growing)... but LOVES water in the summer (got a 3' tree from a seed in just 1 growing season)... and more weed spread from there. The garden is now hopeless inundated with this Jatropha, and though I still like it's looks, don't really want it everywhere. Careful when planting this in a warm climate.

Positive MotherNature4 On May 31, 2003, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is a container grown plant but lives outdoors in central Florida. It dropped some leaves when the temperature got down to 32 for a short time. It quickly recovered, and is blooming now (May and June).

Positive Monocromatico On May 30, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

Very beautiful plant. It grows spontaneously in an abandoned area near my home. The contrast between the purple leaves and green fruits is something special. It grows in aired, a bit salty and poor soil, I don't know if it does well in other conditions, though. It has glands all over its body and around the leaves (which has also a hairy texture)

Grenoble,