Anchored Water Hyacinth, Peacock Hyacinth

Eichhornia azurea

Family: Pontederiaceae
Genus: Eichhornia (ike-HORN-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: azurea (a-ZOOR-ee-uh) (Info)

Ponds and Aquatics

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Pale Yellow

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Chula Vista, California

Houston, Pennsylvania

Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania

Harlingen, Texas

On May 26, 2010, Kiyzersoze from Coral Springs, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

I love this plant. The flower is amazing. But they do multiply quickly so please do not release these plants into any waterways. They can cause a major problem and we don't want them to restrict this plant into extinction.

On Aug 28, 2009, greenthum3 from Jacksonville, FL wrote:

We grow a few in our koi pond and they do wonderful until the first freeze. They create a nice green floating carpet and on occassion we get blooms

On Aug 6, 2009, napdognewfie from Cumberland, MD (Zone 6a) wrote:

I love it with it's little air bladders. Spreads nicely, pretty lavender flowers & not at all invasive here. Turns to mush at the first good freeze. I have tried to overwinter a few plants inside in an aquarium under fluorescents but they don't make it so I buy new plants each year.

On Nov 21, 2008, pajaritomt from Los Alamos, NM (Zone 5a) wrote:

This beautiful plant is a major problem to navigation in Louisiana and Mississippi at a minimum. They grow so fast and so tightly that waterways often have to be dredged to get rid of them. As I understand, this plant was imported for the World's Fair decades ago and escaped. It thrives in southern waters.

On Sep 26, 2007, denisejonz from Chula Vista, CA wrote:

I grow it as an annual in my small water pot in full sun. For some reason, it only blooms when the weather here gets very hot (which is rare). Will not tolerate cool daytime temps, when it doesn't get much over 70. Turns to mush when it isnlt hot enough. Good (for me, in the above conditions) ONLY from June-early September.

On Jun 26, 2007, parrotma32578 from Niceville, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

Although this plant can cause chaos when left unchecked, it is quite spectacular when in bloom. The plants that I have anchored in my bog reward me with beautiful blooms. Plants that are allowed to float freely in my pond have never bloomed. The Hyacinths took a pounding this winter from the freeze, but even though they looked dead, they revived with leaps and bounds. CAUTION: When thinning out, make sure to dispose of unwanted plants in a closed container for trash pickup. Do not, under any circumstances, allow the plant to grow outside of your supervision; they can completely suffocate ponds and lakes.

On Dec 27, 2006, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Anchored Water Hyacinth, Peacock Hyacinth Eichhornia azurea is naturalized in Texas and other States and is considered an invasive noxious plant. It is prohibited in Texas.

On Oct 2, 2005, trois from Santa Fe, TX (Zone 9b) wrote:

These plants have volunteered in our Lily pond. They are growing in competition with the Cattails. These are over 3 feet tall, and very lush. We have a berm all the way around the pond, and none can escape on their own. We suspect some portion of one of these plants was attached to a purchased Water Lily.

On Nov 25, 2004, caron from Woodland Park, CO (Zone 4b) wrote:

Not allowed for import to the US and not allowed in any interstate or intrastate transportation without a specific permit from USDA APHIS PPQ (Plant Protection and Quarantine).