PlantFiles: Manchurian Violet, Sumire
Viola mandshurica 'Fuji Dawn'

Family: Violaceae (vy-oh-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Viola (vy-OH-la) (Info)
Species: mandshurica (man-SHEU-ree-ka) (Info)
Cultivar: Fuji Dawn

Synonym:Viola mandschurica

Alpines and Rock Gardens

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Blue-Violet

Variegated

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

Thumbnail #5 of Viola mandshurica by Calif_Sue

Thumbnail #6 of Viola mandshurica by kniphofia

Thumbnail #7 of Viola mandshurica by kniphofia

Positive Kdee38 On May 2, 2013, Kdee38 from Apex, NC wrote:

I was so excited to find the posting on the Manchurian Violet "Fuji Dawn". I purchased a pot of Phlox "Laura" at a local garden store today and it had this unusual looking plant growing in with it. I have several years of experience growing and selling plants I knew that it was some type on violet by the seed heads, but I have never seen this before. Then after searching the internet I found the plant then came to the best sight for further information on this plant. Thank you so much Dave's Garden

Positive JenDion On Jul 19, 2012, JenDion from Litchfield, NH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I am in zone 5b. I've had Fuji Dawn in my front bed which faces west/southwest, right along my (stone-cold/hot) walkway. But the plants are shaded by a mid sized foundation shrub that grows there. The foliage/varigation in spring is nice, but they did not flower. (though they have put up pods and re-seeded). I moved some to a south facing location which gets shaded (midsummer) in the AM and PM, but gets full noon sun for a few hours. They have since flowered nicely!

Positive ericabelle On Apr 5, 2012, ericabelle from West Plains, MO (Zone 6b) wrote:

I grew these violets from seed last year and put them in my rock garden in the spring. They lost their variegation in the summer and never flowered, only put up pods and pods of seeds. I got mad at them and pulled half of them up. This spring they came up beautifully, with mostly white leaves and flowered like miniature bouquets! They self seeded moderately for me, even growing in some gravel nearby. So, I might get mad at them again in the summer; but they are such a show in the spring, I will definitely leave them in as part of the garden!

Positive kbaumle On May 20, 2008, kbaumle from Northwest, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

One vendor lists this as hardy to Zone 6. I'm in Zone 5b and this plant just overwintered in an open, wet clay location. Color me shocked! Not so much the zone as the location. I'd suggest updating the zone hardiness to at least 6 from my personal success here.
Yes, it does reseed prolifically, both all summer long and I've got new seedlings coming up around the main plant this spring a well. But I couldn't believe the blooms I had even before the foliage was very far out of the ground.

Neutral berrygirl On Mar 5, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Emerges in early spring with pink-tinged, variegated foliage. Variegation slowly turns to green and white, then later to uniform dark green, more intense the second season.

Neutral PurplePansies On Oct 6, 2004, PurplePansies from Deal, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

I just bought it ..... so I don't know anything else but That zone rating is wrong.... It is hardy to at least zone 6....... I've seen it sold alot around here (zone 6/7) as a hardy perennial and all reports say its much hardier....

Neutral Baa On Jan 9, 2003, Baa wrote:

Small growing perennial cultivar Viola.

Has broadly lance shaped leaves variegated with cream with a slight pink flush. Bears small blue to blue violet flowers.

Flowers mainly April - June

Enjoys a well drained position in sun or shade but needs shade during the hottest part of the day or in warm climates. Keep the area free from tall weeds that might out compete it, variegated plants are often weaker when faced with challenges.

Don't expect this one to always come true from shop bought or garden collected seed, some seedlings will be mid green leaved and offspring could be plain even from a much marbled parent.

Ashdown, Arkansas