PlantFiles: Coral Bells, Alumroot, Coralbells, Alum Root
Heuchera 'Amber Waves'

Family: Saxifragaceae (saks-ih-frag-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Heuchera (HEW-ker-a) (Info)
Cultivar: Amber Waves
Additional cultivar information: (PP13348)
Hybridized by Heims; Year of Registration or Introduction: 2000

Thumbnail #6 of Heuchera  by keno

By tcfromky
Thumbnail #7 of Heuchera  by tcfromky

Positive Leehallfae On May 4, 2011, Leehallfae from Seattle, WA wrote:

Amber Waves is a vigorous grower. Planted a small one in 2009, by mid-summer of 2010, it had grown to at least 8 feet. It was placed close to the rhodendrons, for protection from the sun,

Neutral cathleenb On Aug 17, 2010, cathleenb from Amherst, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I've owned this plant for 5 years and have moved it from full intense sun (was fried to a crisp and leaves looked washed out) to full shade (resulted in very little growth) to part sun where it gets 2 hrs sun per day in afternoon. Seems to be doing well and has multiplied into 2 almost separate plants although is still rather small. But lovely. Think I'll leave well enough alone for now!

Positive stormyla On Dec 6, 2009, stormyla from Norristown, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I particularly like to color combination of the pale yellow blooms against the gold foliage. It is very striking in the garden.

Neutral Gabrielle On Sep 7, 2007, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is a patented plant.

Positive HiDesertGirl On Jun 27, 2007, HiDesertGirl from Reno, NV wrote:

I planted two small "Amber Waves" in front of my lace cap hydrangea. These plants have taken off and tripled in size during the last two months. The rusts, limey greens, and golds of the coral bell leaves complement the lavendar-blue flowers of my hydrangea nicely. The coral bells are in a spot where they receive morning sun until 11am. The summers here are very hot and dry and the afternoon sun can be brutal so I treat coral bells as a "part shade" plant. They are on a drip system so they receive regular watering. I found coral bells do well in this zone, surviving the cold, dry winters to come back as a dependent border filler in my garden.

Positive JanFRN On Jun 2, 2005, JanFRN from St. Albert

I live in north central Alberta, where the winters can be brutal. I was concerned that Amber Waves hadn't survived, but here it is, only the beginning of June and it's already double the size it was when I planted it last summer. The color is gorgeous!

Positive BUFFY690 On May 20, 2005, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I love mine it is a contrast to the green foilage in my stella daylilies, but is yellow like the flowers. Very interesting look in front of my bricks. Mine grows in full sun, and is sending up flower spikes now. I have only had luck in the sun with my hucheras, when I placed them in the shade they have died in the past.

Positive henryr10 On Apr 11, 2004, henryr10 from Cincinnati, OH (Zone 6b) wrote:

I purchased this plant at a show last April and after a year in an 8" container love it.
It wintered here in Cincinnati w/ only snow protection in temps to 0 degrees.
Stayed evergreen or should I say evergold! lol

There isn't a plant foliage in the garden this one doesn't complement!

If you like this plant also try Heucherella x 'Sunspot'.
A better flowerer and just about as brilliant in color.

Positive Karenn On Jun 23, 2003, Karenn from Mount Prospect, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I live in a Chicago, Il northwest suburb. Last year I planted one 'Amber Wave'in a bed on the northeast corner of my home. We had a horrible dry summer, followed by a dry fall and no snow-cover winter with zero degree weather. This translates to a freeze depth of 2 to 3 feet! Amber Waves not only made it through this, it flowered beautifully (just finished!) It came through so well, I have planted two more! I love the "jolt" of color it gives - so uncommon from almost all the other huchera hybrids recently developed.

Positive froghill On Jun 23, 2003, froghill from Eufaula, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

Overall, I have had a positive experience with coral bells. I first purchased a coral bells "Purple Palace" 3 years ago. On the plant tag it said full sun and living in lower Alabama, full sun is intense. Needless to say, it waned, so I moved it to partial shade where it has prospered since.It has purple to burgundy leaves and sends up many burgundy spikes with cream-colored flowers.I also had 3 coral bells, one of which died, the other 2 are green and growing but no flower spikes.They are in the same bed.

Positive Bug_Girl On Jun 22, 2003, Bug_Girl from San Francisco, CA wrote:

I have mine is a shady bed with plenty of organic matter and it loves it. If the color was not up to par, I would recommend composting, because sometimes certain nutrients that are lacking are the cause of a dull coloration. If you are not composting (using food scraps), then I would recommend a bagged compost with added nutrients and minerals. Things like bone meal, alfalfa meal, kelp and soil microbes are very benefiscal to the plants.

Positive jkom51 On May 22, 2003, jkom51 from Oakland, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Some people (like me) love the color of this plant; others think it looks too much like it's dying a slow death! Seems very reluctant to flower so far. Also, definitely prefers the shady moist bed. We had a recent hot spell -- short but fierce -- and I noticed some leaves crisped up already, and it's only May.

Eufaula, Alabama