Coral Bells, Alumroot, Hairy Alumroot, Maple Leaf Alumroot 'Autumn Bride'

Heuchera villosa

Family: Saxifragaceae (saks-ih-frag-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Heuchera (HEW-ker-a) (Info)
Species: villosa (vil-OH-suh) (Info)
Cultivar: Autumn Bride
» View all varieties of Heucheras

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Partial to Full Shade

Full Shade

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

Malibu, California

Christiana, Tennessee

Leesburg, Virginia

Lexington, Virginia

On Apr 27, 2012, jeanherlihy from Brunswick, ME wrote:

Awesome plant~late, extremely LONG bloom~thrives here in southern coastal Maine. I usually prefer heucheras for their foliage, but this one has fantastic flowers.

On May 13, 2011, burkgrow from Lancaster, PA wrote:

I planted one about two years ago without knowing much about it and have been pleasantly surprised. Its big, 2ft high in full shade under a pine tree so give it some room. It stays nice all winter even after harsh weather without getting too ragged. The only thing that was a little disappointing is that my first one was a boring green but I just bought three more that are I hope that adds more color. A great tough native.

On Jul 31, 2007, ifonly from Brookfield, CT wrote:

Autumn Bride was growing in a pot at the nursery when it caught my eye last year. It was huge, in full bloom, and of course it followed me home. Set my new treasure in its pot under a fir where dead lower branches had just been cut out. Terrific. So in went the shovel, but not very far - roots and rocks just where it needed to go. Undeterred, dug a not very generous hole & planted. It gets a bit of spotty sun morning and late afternoon. Evergreen last winter and happy as it can be. A shovelful of compost added a couple of weeks ago. Big, happy plant.

On Nov 9, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Flowers are pure white and bell-shaped and bloom from late summer to frost. Very tolerant of dry shade and not picky about soil conditions. Prefers shade, but likes diffused light. It also attracts hummingbirds.

On Mar 19, 2003, kimprice wrote:

I live on Delmarva about 7 miles from the ocean. Our soil is very acidic. Where I live you cannot cut trees larger than a 6" diam. unless they are dead so I have a great deal of shade. This plant did very well. I purchased two of them and they were quite small. We had a very bad drought this past summer and were not able to water at all for any reason. This plant did wonderfully - for the two of them to both bloom the first year during a draught was wonderful. They are evergreen and even the snow this past winter did not bother them. It was great to find something that did so well in the shade. The leaves are about 5" in diam. and very full of follage. The plants grew from about 4-5 leaves to 20 + leaves this past summer. The flower are on stalks about 18" high. The follage grows to about ... read more