Coral Bells, Alumroot, Coralbells, Alum Root
Heuchera sanguinea 'Firefly'

Family: Saxifragaceae (saks-ih-frag-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Heuchera (HEW-ker-a) (Info)
Species: sanguinea (san-GWIN-ee-a) (Info)
Cultivar: Firefly
Additional cultivar information:(aka Leuchtkafer)
» View all varieties of Heucheras

Lakewood, Washington

Spokane, Washington

negative

On Jun 18, 2014, Clancy2012 from Mentone, CA wrote:

I have had several of these plants used as a border. I am in a hot, dry area with sandy soil in southern California. I love the flowers, they are truly beautiful in the early summer. The plant needs a little shade in the hottest, windy areas. My problem is that they are hard to find in nurseries which carry numerous hybrids for foliage only.

On Jan 27, 2013, DonnaMack from Elgin, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is the only heuchera that grows in my yard, and it's a champ. I have had seven of them for several years. They take abuse and drought, and repeat bloom for me. I do water them.

On Oct 1, 2007, mbhoakct76 from Winsted, CT wrote:

Very easy to grow, and flower throughout the summer ...
But the display of flowers is not very large and nothing spectacular, i use them mostly for fillers, and enjoy the foliage. Easy to divide , and can make a nice plant to fill a problemed area.
I was surprised to hear someone say this plant wasnt flourishing, mine grow and spread wonderfully doubling size almost every year, in CT zone 5- these stay green right through the first snow. some of my other coral bells have had years where their growth and flowering is minimal - maybe they are just taking a break but they always make a nice comeback.

On Feb 7, 2007, Bellisgirl from Spokane, WA wrote:

This plant has done little in my garden, which is unusual since all of my other coral-bells are doing woderfully. Ive had this plant for about five years. The first couple of years it did fine. It is now very small and does not get many flowers. The flowers I do get tend to topple over constantly. Its a shame...its a really pritty plant. I dont know what went wrong.

On Sep 17, 2002, jkom51 from Oakland, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

We live in coastal Nor.Cal. but on the sunnier edge. Heucheras here need quite a bit of shade and water; mulching helps immensely. They object to being watered on the leaves -- like lambs' ears (Stachys byzantina) it's better to water the ground by drip irrigation rather than using a sprinkler. They are evergreen here and bloom in April-May.

On Sep 16, 2002, yons from bandon, OR (Zone 9a) wrote:

my coral bells are outstanding. The slugs do hide under them but the foliage is wonderful if kept fairly moist. Bloom time here is in June and throughout the summer here and there. I love these plants.