PlantFiles: Ornamental Corn
Zea mays 'Quadricolor'

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Zea (ZEE-uh) (Info)
Species: mays (maze) (Info)
Cultivar: Quadricolor

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Ornamental Grasses and Bamboo

Thumbnail #4 of Zea mays by growin

By mgarr
Thumbnail #5 of Zea mays by mgarr

Positive coloradogirl On Jul 24, 2011, coloradogirl from Walsenburg, CO wrote:

I have 12 x 12 x 12 inch pots spaced along the main garden path, each holding a solar light. Normally these get planted with flowers, but I wanted to try something different. I found seeds labeled "Ribbon Corn" this spring in a local Livingston Seed Co. display rack. I planted 3 seeds in each pot, then placed a small white garbage bag over each pot, to hold in moisture during germination (We had such a dry windy spring) Within 2 weeks, all the seeds had germinated. I had one seedling that had all white leaves and it did not survive. The remaining seedlings did great. They are now about 4 foot tall and such lovely variegated colors of burgundy, pink, white and green.

Visitors always ask me about the plants growing in my walkway pots. My husband likes the look of the corn, better than the usual flowers. He says they look so tropical. They do look fabulously lush and colorful. My only complaint, is that I have had to move the solar lights out of the pots, because the tall foliage blocks the sun and the lights can not charge. I think that I need to put the solar lights on taller metal pipe stakes.

The corn plants are just now starting to grow tassels. I am not sure if I should cut the tassels off, to prolong the life of the leaves. The seed packet states, that you can use the foliage and pastel cobs in dried arrangements and wreaths. I do not care about harvesting the cobs, but would rather enjoy the gorgeous leaves till the end of the season. If all goes well, I will certainly plant these again next year.

Walsenburg, Colorado