PlantFiles: iKhalana
Aloe tenuior

Family: Aloaceae
Genus: Aloe (AL-oh) (Info)
Species: tenuior (ten-yoo-ee-or) (Info)

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Cactus and Succulents

Thumbnail #7 of Aloe tenuior by palmbob

Positive baiissatva On Feb 14, 2010, baiissatva from Dunedin
New Zealand wrote:

Coastal Otago, 9b NZ

I picked up a small specimen from a local hardware shop not knowing what it was, and left it outside through a cold dull soggy winter (potted) since I wasn't that impressed after reading up on the species.

But! I have to say, this plant has (not literally) grown on me. Mine is a little stockier than the willowy, viney ones that people complain of, perhaps because of our cooler conditions. Dark forest green. It has not rocketed away, but kept up a steady pace and is now around double the size it was two years ago. No flowers yet, but more stalks coming away from the base will make it a nice looking, upright and atypical element in my succulent collection.
In its favour are the facts that it's not bothered by hail, or seemingly by being drenched all winter. It wants a larger root run than many aloes it's size, and I think I'll plant it out in my rockery this autumn to see how it fares in the ground.
Looking at the pics here and on other sites, I'm wondering if it's a hybrid or a certain clone of this species, since it is more 'ornamental', less stringy and darker than is typically described. I'll take pics one day!
Mine has been quite tough and undemanding.

Positive SudieGoodman On Feb 27, 2005, SudieGoodman from Broaddus, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Mine is in the greenhouse for the winter. While checking on plants in pots, I noticed my Aloe tenuior has this red bloom spiral. It is a pass-along plant from friend which I was unable to identify until I saw the pictures here.

Positive palmbob On Mar 10, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is a 'rambling' sort of vining aloe that has flowers that bloom most if not all year here in So Cal (somewhat unusual for the aloe world). Flowers usually yellow, but can be red, too. I had one in the cactus garden for 9 years and had to be clipped back frequently since it tended to grow all over everything. Reminiscent of Aloe ciliaris and gracilis but with narrower leaves.

Freeze in southern California in mid 20s did significant damage to this species, so probably not really that hardy a zone 9b plant- boardering on a 10a species.

El Macero, California
Reseda, California
San Marino, California
Spring Valley, California
Thousand Oaks, California
Vista, California (2 reports)
Lenoir City, Tennessee