Dollar Plant, Jade Plant, Jade Tree, Money Tree
Crassula ovata 'Hobbit'

Family: Crassulaceae (krass-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Crassula (KRASS-oo-la) (Info)
Species: ovata (oh-VAY-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Hobbit

Medford, Oregon

Lenoir City, Tennessee

Sugar Land, Texas

On Sep 12, 2011, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Started from cutting will post more when I have more experience with this plant :O)

On May 11, 2011, RxAngel from Stratford, TX (Zone 6b) wrote:

My Lord of the Rings collection is now complete! But now I see that there is an 'E.T.'s Fingers' that I need. Will it ever stop? Or better yet, can I stop?

Jade plants are one of my favorites...easy to grow, easy to propagate (just snip off a piece, remove the leaves, let the bottom cut callous over, and plant 1/2 to 1" deep, and wallah! New plant! They can be grown as a bush, or grown as a tree, bonsaied or grown as large as you can find a pot. And if you're very lucky, it will bloom with beautiful, tiny pink flowers all over the plant!

From the :

"Crassula argentea cv. 'Hobbit' is considered to be a monstrose form of the popular jade plant (Crassula argentea). The leaves, unlike the flattened leaves of regular Jade, form odd "spoon" shap... read more

On May 11, 2011, Rubyredvett from Chaska, MN wrote:

I have had my Jade Tree for almost 20 years now...It has really branched out. I have never taken any shoots off of it because I am not sure about the best way to do it without harming the "balance" of the plant. It was about 5 inches when I bought it. I turn it a little every few days and is at least 24 inches or higher. I am new to this website and still finding my way around. Would like to find an article on propagating Jade Plants/Trees. If anyone knows how or knows where the articles are please feel free to share with me.

On Dec 6, 2010, Alexwtf_93 from Susanville, CA wrote:

i really like this succulent, i got cuttings from a friend a few years back, they started to rot shortly after i got them, i did all i could to save them, by that time they were reduced to about 5 inches, then when they decided to grow, they got mealy bugs.. after i got rid of those, the plant needed to be repotted, its now over a foot tall and has had no problems surviving in hot/cold, wet/dry conditions :)

On Jul 12, 2008, squinj from Sugar Land, TX wrote:

I've had this plant now for several years. I got it in an itty bitty pot from Wal-Mart and it is getting huge. I love the name of it, and I love the fact the ends of it look like Shrek's ears. It hasn't been too hard for me to grow, just add water to it once in a blue moon and it keeps going. I have it inside my home next to the windows with all my other plants and it seems to like it. Its a good plant to have.

On Jun 18, 2007, Lenny59 from Medford, OR (Zone 8a) wrote:

Bought a year ago as a 4" plant in a 2" pot (for $1.00!), mine has at least doubled in size to a lovely 8" by 8" with many branches. Deep green leaves, with reddish-purple end clefts are numerous, and some are almost 3" long. It lives in a 10" by 10" by 4" deep pot. Outdoors in shade/filtered sun in summer, indoors in a westerly window in winter, near a heater vent. Watered moderately once a week, year-round. Very easy culture, no pests known, except tiny spiders love to spin webs in it when it's outside. Zone 7a. I'll post a picture.

On Jun 29, 2006, stressbaby from Fulton, MO wrote:

Undemanding little tree with cylindrical or tubular leaves, a stout, thick trunk, and no pest problems.

On Jun 29, 2004, nazgul from Boulder, CO wrote:

Starting as a ~3 inch sprout bought in a hardware store several years ago, this strange plant has sprawled into a draping, branching, elegant beast. It loves the sun, and seems to take little moisture for a plant of its size (although it is being grown in standard indoor potting soil in a small pot with no drain holes). It seems to be committed to continued, lively growth and branching. I have not seen it flower, but new branch-forming growth tips appear from both the seams between the barky segments and the seams in the still-green sections, generally above the leaf. I will attempt to post an image or two of this terrific plant when I get a chance, as my variety seems to lack the purple spots of the image of the small plant shown on the Plants Database, in favor of a hue blending. Al... read more