Two-row Stonecrop 'Tricolor'

Sedum spurium

Family: Crassulaceae (krass-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Sedum (SEE-dum) (Info)
Species: spurium (SPUR-ee-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Tricolor

Spokane, Washington

Fairmont, West Virginia

West Bend, Wisconsin

On Aug 9, 2009, Marlina from Blaine, MN (Zone 4b) wrote:

Most of mine has reverted back to green after 15 years or so but is still a good ground cover.

On May 21, 2008, SMT170 from Middle Island, NY wrote:

I am new to this gardening thing, But I saw this & loved it. I bought it & planted in the ground. I don't have great soil but some things seem to do okay out there. It's been about 1 month now & it has almost doubled in size. Out of all the plants/bushes I planted out there (Flox, various Evergreens and Boxwood) last month this little plant took the best and is by far doing the best. I love it and can't wait to see how it grows.

On Feb 18, 2007, Photographer from Moxee, WA (Zone 4a) wrote:

Sedum Tricolor is a "natural" for this area in Central Washington. It thrives here. Our garden soil is poor at best. I now have more than 15 varieties of Sedum and this one comes in second to the Blue Spruce Sedum when ranked for thrive factor. It is highly recommended. I bought it at the end of season for half price cost of $2.00. Very well spent in my opinion. I have flushed close to $100 buying plants that die in just 5 seasons. Call me a slow learner or persistent. Since we have -21 f winter days I now err seldom and am cautious with our flower garden plant choices. I make certain our plants purchases are zones 4 or lower any more.

On Aug 31, 2005, Scorpioangel from Gold Hill, OR (Zone 7a) wrote:

A great colored plant. The more sun the more pink. However it can revert back to a solid green. The deer like to munch on this variety over 'Dragon's Blood' which I have growing together.

On Jun 20, 2005, BingsBell from SC, MT (Zone 5a) wrote:

I live in Z5a and I have had this sedum in my raised beds for 5 years. It is there all winter, snow or not and is quick to perk up in early spring.

It is a spreader but I wouldn't consider it invasive. I have had many compliments on it and have given bunches of it to friends who say it takes readily to where ever they put it.

It is a sun lover but does well even when shaded by plants around it. A tough and pretty little plant.

On Oct 21, 2004, jsandco from West Bend, WI (Zone 5b) wrote:

The foliage is pretty all summer, but interesting as the temperatures cool down in autumn, when the plant becomes a deep pink.

On Jul 27, 2004, kbads from Kirksville, MO (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is by far the easiest plant to grow that I have tried. Mine has the true tri-colors, and in it's first season grew from a smallish little snippit purchased in a 4" pot to a large clump measuring almost 24". THEN, this year, I got TONS of blooms. I bought two more small pots of this earlier this spring, and they have already spread to 3-4x their original size. EASY, pretty plant!

On Jul 23, 2004, hanna1 from Castro Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I love it. Rapid grower. Plant in full sun 12" apart, but mine is in partial shade doing well.

On Sep 13, 2003, Happenstance from Northern California, CA wrote:

This is a good grower, great color variance, some sprigs will revert to plain green, which only adds additional interest. Easily started from cuttings which will root if thrown on top of the soil.

On Apr 24, 2003, beckykay from Godfrey, IL (Zone 6a) wrote:

I have several plants of the tri colored sedum and I am completly happy with them. They are easy to divide. I have some in a rock garden and some in my general flower beds. Thx. Beckykay

On Jan 22, 2003, poppysue from Westbrook, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

I started my plant from a tiny sprig that was given to me. The foliage is attractive on it's own but the rosey pink flowers are an added bonus in mid summer. It's a great plant for hot sun and dry soils.

On Aug 25, 2001, KatBaxter from Feeding Hills, MA (Zone 5a) wrote:

Creeping groundcover and is also used in rock gardens.
Foilage is faded jade green, white and pink. Flowers are not showy and should be deadheaded after bloom to promote foilage growth. Perennial.