Showy Stonecrop 'Vera Jameson'

Family: Crassulaceae (krass-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Sedum (SEE-dum) (Info)
Cultivar: Vera Jameson

Cactus and Succulents

Flowers are good for cutting

Flowers are good for drying and preserving

Magenta (Pink-Purple)

Spokane, Washington

Beverly, West Virginia

Casper, Wyoming

On Aug 5, 2013, glfbama from Albany, OR wrote:

I planted three of these as small starts several years ago. They've made small mounds (~18-inches wide by ~8-inches tall). I neglect them shamefully, yet they thrive!

The foliage is blue-green with some reddish tints. The blooms are typical for sedums -- it's the foliage that's the standout for me.

On Feb 6, 2009, Kaelkitty from Adelaide
Australia (Zone 10a) wrote:

I found the following parentage information on the Michigan State University Plant Encyclopedia (
"This cultivar appeared in the garden of the lady of the same name around 1970 as a hybrid of a dark form of Sedum telephium subsp. maximum cv. Atropurpureum x Sedum cv. Ruby Glow (Sedum cauticola x Sedum telephium)."

Also note that the Royal Horticultural Society accepts the splitting off of the "showy stonecrops" into their own genus (Hylotelephium).
If you wish to follow this usage, the name becomes Hylotelephium cv. Vera Jameson and the parentage is thus Hylotelephium telephium subsp. maximum cv. Atropurpureum x Hylotelephium cv. Ruby Glow (Hylotelephium cauticolon x Hylotelephium telephium)

Editor's Note
The Royal Horticu... read more

On Apr 27, 2008, WombatFamily from Brenham, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Such a great color counterpoint in the sunny spot. The bees love it and so far it's doing great.

On Aug 4, 2007, mystic from Ewing, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Received the Royal Horticultural Society (RHS), 1993 Award of Garden Merit. Reconfirmed in 2006.

On Jul 17, 2006, ifonly from Brookfield, CT wrote:

Vera looks beautiful in a rocky spot of my garden. Original planting of two plants. This year I pinched off several stems & stuck them in the ground where the soil is not deep enough to put in an entire plant - I'm thinking the new plants will adjust, but we'll see. The original plants do lay across the rocks, a very nice effect. The blue green leaves and maroon stems are gorgeous next to a sieboldii and several others - one with teeny-tiny leaves & two with small leaves.

On Apr 21, 2005, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is a very different shape and color to add in with my autumn joy and my matrona and my soon to add autumn fire.

On Mar 12, 2005, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

The foliage is such a lovely deep burgundy color. Flowers in September. Loves the sun. Doesn't get very tall - 12" or so.

On Dec 29, 2004, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

I got a little start of Vera Jameson 5 years ago, and it just gets better every year. I divided it and transplanted it several times and it always takes right off.

On Aug 26, 2003, onegoodmommy from Rock Hill, SC wrote:

I've had my vera Jameson for three seasons and I love it more now than ever. It's hardy, very easy to care for and is the only flowering perennial in our bed(out of 4)that survived our S. Carolina, zone 7 winter.
The pretty, blueish green color of the foliage is eyecatching. It looks almost like a succulent. It really stands out against our other plants. It would work very well in a rock garden I imagine.
The blooms are very tiny flowers that form nice sized clumps at the end of the stem. The flowers are pink and fairly quickly turn a dark burgundy. These make gorgeous dried flowers. This year I put them in a tall aluminim pot with eucalyptus behind. Gorgeous!
The only drawback is, if placed by themselves in a bed, they will begin to lay flat because they cannot sup... read more