PlantFiles: Canna Lily
Canna x generalis 'Tropicanna'

Family: Cannaceae (kan-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Canna (KAN-uh) (Info)
Species: x generalis (jen-er-RAY-liss) (Info)
Cultivar: Tropicanna
Additional cultivar information: (PP10569; Tropicanna™ series, aka Phaison, Orange Durban, Tropicanna®)
Hybridized by Potgieter; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1998

USDA Zone 7b: to -14.9 °C (5 °F)
USDA Zone 8a: to -12.2 °C (10 °F)
USDA Zone 8b: to -9.4 °C (15 °F)
USDA Zone 9a: to -6.6 °C (20 °F)
USDA Zone 9b: to -3.8 °C (25 °F)
USDA Zone 10a: to -1.1 °C (30 °F)
USDA Zone 10b: to 1.7 °C (35 °F)
USDA Zone 11: above 4.5 °C (40 °F)

Orange

Thumbnail #5 of Canna x generalis by Kell

Thumbnail #6 of Canna x generalis by Kell

By mystic
Thumbnail #7 of Canna x generalis by mystic

Positive realityfaery On Oct 23, 2013, realityfaery from Delano, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Cannas love our climate here and almost every other house you see a different variety of this beautiful plant. We just got 3 different varieties from my grandmother a few months ago and they seem to love the sandy flowerbed we put them in, this Tropicanna variety is wonderful to see in person. The foliage is just as fascinating as the blooms themselves.

Positive Cville_Gardener On Jun 27, 2013, Cville_Gardener from Middle TN
United States (Zone 7a) wrote:

Also known as or spelled 'Phasion'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canna_'Phasion'

Positive FountainMan On Aug 12, 2012, FountainMan from McKinney, TX wrote:

I'm in North Texas where few plants can survive the droughts we see.

I got this and planted in a redesigned garden area and is really the focal point. I wanted more color variations and I liked the darker leaves and red leaves add the color sceme I was looking for.

Growing can be tricky. I don't water it more than once every 2 weeks but the clay soil we have holds water well so we don't have to worry about that but it seems to take the heat well also.

Positive Sandwichkatexan On Dec 6, 2011, Sandwichkatexan from Copperas Cove, TX wrote:

Sailed through this Texas drought with only one drawback , it only reached 3 feet instead of the usual six . flowered like mad due to drought stress no doubt . It was a hummingbird magnet in my drought stricken yard .

Positive PennySmith2011 On Sep 26, 2011, PennySmith2011 from Oklahoma City, OK wrote:

This is my first attempt at growing Cannas in Okla. City, Ok.
I have the solid green leaf variety with 3 colors, orange, red and yellow. Love the idea that I can divide the plant bulb shoots and spread them out since some bulbs purchased did not sprout.

As for the bulbs that did not sprout, is it possible they will come up next year if I leave them alone or should I remove them?

Positive onemoreshot On Sep 26, 2011, onemoreshot from Kissimmee, FL wrote:

This is a great plant, I live in Central Florida just south of Kissimmee. I started with a few plants and now have hundreds, I could have thousands if I had the room and the time.

I have yellow, red, a mixed color from the yellow and red flowers and I just purchased one orange colored one this year. Here is an example, that one orange canna I purchased this Spring has been split twice and I now have almost a dozen. I am in zone 9 so I will be splitting them again mid October.

I cut the seed heads off and once a plant has provided me with three flowers I cut that plant down to the ground. I chop up the plant and drop the cuttings on the ground. That is it, no bugs, no disease and blooms all season if only all plants could be like this.

Neutral luvblooms On Sep 26, 2011, luvblooms from Saint Louis, MO wrote:

The original one I grew in a pot bloomed beautifully, but the replacement (also grown in a pot) has not had blooms at all (two seasons). It has recently added new leaves that are striped as they should be.
I love the plant but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Could it have a fungus or something? I live in mid eastern Missouri.

Neutral zelisheva On Sep 26, 2011, zelisheva from jerusalem
Israel wrote:

I'm in Jerusalem Israel-zone 10. My canna ia 2 years old, gets about 4 hours sun and water but it hasn't grown much and no flowers! can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong? Thanks

Negative braun06 On May 20, 2010, braun06 from Peoria Heights, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

Most awesome canna to me and some years survives winter in the ground of zone 5A if there is snow. This aside I had to dispose mine due to canna viruses that are going global. My plants got distorted and odd colors in the leaves. The virus is spread by insects and all of my neighbors have the same problem. New plants from the store will still likely carry the disease so I am not planting cannas in general anymore.

Positive gdthorst On Aug 31, 2009, gdthorst from Granby, CT (Zone 6a) wrote:

In 2008, a single three-foot Canna was given to me in a two-gallon pot without flowers. I removed it from the pot in October, dried out, and hung in onion bag in cellar for the winter at 54 degrees. In April of 2009, I split apart the five rhizomes and planted them in rich soiled one-gallon starter pots. New England had a wet, cold spring in 2009. I lost three rhizomes due to rot. My Cannas did not start to grow until outside temperature reached the 60's in May. When I saw the shoots growing, I transferred the Cannas to five-gallon pots in rich fertilized soil. They grew to 54 inches tall. The first red flower buds didn't show them selves until the 28th of August, however they have beautiful green/red healthy leaves. Next year I will be sure to start them in a warm place to insure a jump on the growing season.

Positive WillowWasp On Jul 2, 2009, WillowWasp from Jones Creek, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

One of the prettier canna's, leaves are impressive and blooms are sooooo pretty and bright. A real keeper in my book.

Positive wolfboi1970 On Oct 27, 2008, wolfboi1970 from Reading, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I love this site and ALOT of great tips from fellow gardeners are posted...HOWEVER..I must say this...not in a negative way, but not all comments are set in stone...maybe the comment written applies to the poster but is not nessarily true to others. For instance, I read a comment about NOT placeing canna's in ponds...they can drowned??? Canna's ARE water plants...and the height max of 8-10' is also false...in water i had 2 stalks measure out at 13' and 13.5' and the ones in the ground in front of house went up to the 2nd story windows...bottom...didn't measure in time before frost shriveled them....I could not bear to cut them pre-maturely like my water cannas. Also on the water post...canna's are invasive weeds in florida wetlands...they LOVE water. So if you have a pond...I have 2...please don't shy away from using them in the back of ponds or the dwarf ones in the foreground...thats how I was introduced to cannas...by pond owners....I started planting in dirt 2 yrs later....and the ones up to my 2 story windows...my trick...I watered EVERY MORNING...I put hose into center of clump and let water run while I weeded my beds....and fed them with fertilizer spikes....so my point I guess is this...there are ALOT of new gardeners on here and I hope you all will try and test new methods and limit what you do with "tips" mine included...the best gardens are the ones you develop based on whats best for you and your region...

On a semi-related note I am looking for some perennial bananna plants for zone 6....I have come across 1 variety that dies down to ground and re-grows in spring....I was curious if anyone has seen more varieties for my climate...SE Pa....I have a green leaf variety...oh 6'-8' maybe...I would LOVE a red leaf cold hardy one. Thanks again...

Positive babygrl On Aug 23, 2008, babygrl from La Porte, IN wrote:

i was given four root pieces which turned into about thirty roots,, i have just dug it all up and im planting it elsewhere in my yard and i live in indiana zone 5 and im leaving it in the ground all winter to see what happens. if it lives, thats great, if not i have a bucket load of roots.

Positive Tir_Na_Nog On Jun 25, 2008, Tir_Na_Nog from Houston
United States (Zone 9b) wrote:

I saw this plant at a Home Depot and was so impressed with it's height and vivid bold colors! I hope to add some but the plants were $15 just for one.

Positive TropiTiki On Mar 19, 2008, TropiTiki from Murrells Inlet, SC (Zone 8b) wrote:

This variety has been adored for decades all over the world. It was not developed by Tesselaar, but merely patented by them and given a new trademarked name. The only difference is the higher price for Tesselaar's.

Positive MsDepp On Mar 17, 2008, MsDepp from Murfreesboro, TN wrote:

I have a canna which blooms red and yellow. A friend's husband got it to me about 6 years ago. I have split it and planted in different areas in my yard. Also shared with family and friends. It is beautiful and blooms all summer until frost .

Positive Just_Grow_It On Oct 26, 2007, Just_Grow_It from Manassas, VA wrote:

It's beautiful and easy to grow. One of the best Cannas. It is perennial in my area (zone 6b/7a) WITHOUT digging the bulbs up, but only if planted up next to the house where the ground stays a little warmer then usual. It never sets seeds, but is easily divided.

Positive fly_girl On Mar 24, 2007, fly_girl from The Woodlands, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Cannas are susceptible to the Canna Leafroller or the Brazilian Skipper butterfly. The larva can do extensive damage by rolling up the leaves and feeding on them.
Other than this drawback, I love the Tropicanna.

Neutral sangeline On Jul 23, 2006, sangeline from Opa Locka, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

I love my cannas but something has eaten all the leaves.

Positive allisaw On Apr 28, 2006, allisaw from Springfield, OR (Zone 7b) wrote:

I purchased my Tropicanna from a store in Portland last summer. I was uncertain about planting them outside, so they are still potted. I kept the pot outside on my covered front patio so they got partial sun - but I had to water every day. They grew like crazy all summer long and were just gorgeous! So far it has been my favorite tropical plant. It was also a lot of fun to bring them inside for a tropical touch when I had guests. I'm not a big fan of the color orange. However, the flowers are simply BEAUTIFUL - a bright show of orange against the large leaves of the plant that are filled with various multi-color stripes of red, purple and green. It is just amazing - I can't say enough! The blooms are long lasting but when they died, I did cut them off the plant. During winter, I brought them inside when the temprature in our area dropped to below 40 degrees. Initially they had a hard time adjusting even though I had placed them by some large windows in our house. However, the plant did amazingly well considering the lack of sunshine all winter. Recently, I did have to cut back the original plants which were dying - but already there are lots of new shoots emerging. Since I purchased them, I have seen lots of cannas in my area that are being grown outside. So this summer, I think I am going to try to transplant one of them and see how it goes. I am so excited to enjoy them all over again this summer!

Positive flipper83 On Apr 17, 2006, flipper83 from Victoria

Beautiful easy to grow plant! I picked it up at a local discount garden center (yes, the real Tropicanna) & dropped it in my garden. It was in an irrigated zone, so it received a decent amount of water. It grew to about 5 feet in year one and bloomed like crazy. In the late fall, I chopped it right down, threw some of the leaves on top of it for mulch, some soil,, and let it sit. I looked today, and it's coming back up. Amazing, but I think it may take over the garden. I will have to divide and give to some friends.
Update, August 06, this thing grows in BC very well, and I never took it in.

Positive Suze_ On Apr 1, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

One of my top five favorite cannas. Medium height, foliage has scrumptious, almost surrealistic multi-coloration.

Positive admodeva On Nov 17, 2005, admodeva from Dutton, AL (Zone 7a) wrote:

This one is beautiful to me, it's held up well over this past summer's drought, even when neglected somewhat. Dust and dirt really show on the foliage though.

Positive Moonglow On Oct 18, 2005, Moonglow from Corte Madera, CA wrote:

Many thanks to SoCal (Donna), I now have this beautiful plant. This cultivar is BREATHTAKING. Truly the backbone of my small tropical corner.

I received Donna's gift late June 2005, and by the end of summer, I was able to give away two more divisions. One for my mom in San Diego, and another for my godmother (San Jacinto). Imagine, from a 2g pot!

It has also bloomed for me during that short period of time.

Neutral gingern On Oct 14, 2005, gingern from Irvine, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Really adds a tropical look, but requires LOTS of water and, in here in Zone 9, can be quite invasive. The clump gets much larger very quickly - fine if you're willing to regularly (twice per year) dig up and divide. However, this is a large, heavy plant so digging up and dividing is not the easiest chore in the garden! Leaves look ratty if plant doesn't get enough regular water. Great for a trouble spot that remains constantly wet yet receives full sun.

Positive chunx On Jul 13, 2005, chunx from San Diego, CA wrote:

I bought a one gallon container of the 'Tropicanna' last Spring (2004) from Lowe's for about $10. Within a week, it had another stalk coming up before I even planted it in the ground. I divided it and put the smaller cutting in a large pot and planted the larger stalk in the ground. A year later, I have over 25 of these, all over 4 feet tall, some around 6 feet, and all are blooming. They are probably the best looking tropical I own.

Here in Southern California, they grow in our clay soil very well with a lot of water and even more fertilizer. They have filled in a totally bare spot on the side of my house. The tropical effect of the different colors in the leaves is an eye-catcher. I've had several neighbors ask for cuttings, and they're pretty surprised when I just stick a spade in the ground, cut one in half and hand it to them. The orange flowers are beautiful, but they don't self-clean like Spitfire. If you have snails and slugs, bait, because they love them. I haven't had any trouble with insects on these cannas.

BEWARE of some sellers promoting 'Tropicana' cannas. (Notice the different spelling and it is a totally different variety.) I have seen them at Home Depot and they are not 'Tropicanna'. There is also a variety of 'Tropicanna' that is now called a 'Gold'. It is more like a 'Bengal Tiger' and not nearly as colorful as the original. Both of these varieties were developed by Anthony Tesselaar (visit their website). When buying, if it doesn't say Tesselaar, it's an illegal division from the original. There are a lot of bogus ones on eBay.

These also look great in large pots in an entryway. The older leaves will fade a bit in full sun, but the emerging leaves are a dark burgundy and then the stripes are predominate. You may limit the amount of sun during the day for a darker color. I think you will be more than pleased with this variety.

Positive tropicalfreak On May 27, 2005, tropicalfreak from Hollywood, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

I have always heard people sink their cannas in ponds. I wouldn't recommend this. These guys do love water, but they could drown.

Positive xyris On Mar 8, 2005, xyris from Sebring, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

A note on flowering time ...my 'Tropicanna' started flowering on March 1 this year. In this climate it will be in almost continuous flower from now until November or December. Most cannas here seem to shut down flowering for the "winter' months. They are real heat lovers.

Neutral mikib On Mar 7, 2005, mikib from Austin, TX wrote:

Just bought my first 3-gal. Tropicanna and read it was okay to sink it my koi pond (see "wnstarr, Oct. 26,2003") . Has been there over a week and we have had more rain days than not, temps 50's-70's. Leaves are starting to curl up, plant is submerged about 1 1/2" below water level. Just wondered if anyone else had experience with this one in a pond.

Positive jkom51 On Sep 21, 2004, jkom51 from Oakland, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This canna does well also in partial shade. In frost-free zones it will exceed 7' in a single season. Extremely vigorous, almost to the point of invasiveness. Divide regularly to keep in check.

Positive ladyannne On Sep 20, 2004, ladyannne from Merced, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

A stunning plant, with a gorgeous rainbow leaf and hot orange flowers. We put the pot away for the winter and bring it back out again in spring when the leaves explode with colour. This does well no matter where we put it, sun or shade.

Neutral Toxicodendron On Sep 3, 2004, Toxicodendron from Piedmont, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

I have not yet grown this particular cultivar, but I grow many other cannas. To overwinter cannas in colder zones, wait until a frost has blackened the leaves. Dig the plants up (the rhizomes can be large, so dig generously so you don't chop them in pieces), cut the tops back to 12 inches, wash off all the soil, and lay out to dry in a dark, airy place for a couple of weeks, turning occasionally.

When fairly dry (don't dry them too much, they should not shrivel), cut off the tops to 2 inches and store. I store mine in loosely closed plastic (Walmart) bags for the winter, without any packing material and have had better results than with sand, peat moss, sawdust, etc. I store them in the dark in the coolest bedroom under a dresser at about 60 to 70 degrees.

It is a good idea to check them occasionally during the storage period...if too wet (moldy) dry them out a bit...if too dry (shriveling up) give them a light sprinkling of water. And don't pile up a whole bunch of them...put the bags in a single layer with the tops slightly opened for air circulation. Put a cardboard box under them in case they leak or rot and your sack has a hole in it.

The rhizomes can be divided into smaller clumps next spring, but make sure each division has at least one eye (bud). I start mine indoors in a warm place in late March to get a jump on the season. Water the potted rhizomes once and then only slightly until new growth emerges, then give full sun and plenty of water, but do not leave outside until danger of frost is past.

Sometimes I leave the more common cannas all winter in the ground here in zone 6. If the area has good drainage, they don't rot. They need a good mulch to keep from freezing solid. The more expensive ones I always dig because a really cold winter could certainly be fatal. This may not be the official method for saving cannas, but it has worked for me. Hope this helps!

May 2005: I finally got one of these. The leaves are so dramatic!

Positive KSunfl0wer On Aug 20, 2004, KSunfl0wer from Coatesville, PA wrote:

I bought a bag of these at a discount store this spring, popped them into the flower bed, and waited with not very high expectations. But I have over a dozen gorgeous cannas growing now, blooming with great enthusiasm -- we've had a fairly wet summer, and apparently they've decided they like Pennsylvania. How do I make sure they survive the winter?

Positive katiehoke On Aug 1, 2004, katiehoke from Granby, CT wrote:

I am a new gardener and have been awed by this beautiful plant. I live in CT so I keep it in a pot. What is the best way to save it for next year?

Positive sshop34 On Jul 8, 2004, sshop34 from Jasper, GA wrote:

I am in zone 7B in the North Georgia mountains and planted Tropicana Canna in 5-gallon pots on my deck. They have done great. Carolyn

Positive nick89 On May 31, 2004, nick89 from Tallahassee, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

A popular canna cultivar with stunning red striped foliage. The large flowers are bright orange. I find it easy to propagate by root division. This cultivar is less vigorous than some other cannas but I believe it is well worth the effort.

Positive wnstarr On Oct 26, 2003, wnstarr from Puyallup, WA (Zone 5a) wrote:

Edgewood, Washington
This Canna has grown for years in my garden. It has survived many winters where there were freezing temps and lots of rain. It will rot from the constant water over the winter if not planted in a well drained location. The foliage is every bit as exciting as the bloom if not more so. Propagation is best by division. I have them planted in the ground and also have them in pots sunk into the koi pond. Wonderful addition to tropical look in a temperate zone. Try one and you too will be a convert to this beautiful plant.

Positive clantonnaomi On Oct 26, 2003, clantonnaomi from Iredell, TX wrote:

Even if this canna never did bloom, the foliage would certainly make having the plant worthwhile. Such gorgeous colored leaves! I started with one bulb several years ago and it has multipled into many, many more. I have dug many for friends - so easy to grow in central Texas.

Positive htop On Oct 25, 2003, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

San Antonio, Tx.
In my opinion, this is the showiest of all the cannas. It is especially noteworthy when planted in a location where the morning and afternoon sunlight can backlight it. Providing exquisite color, it practically jumps out from among the other plants and says, "Look at me!" It is super easy to grow and would provide a beginner gardener instant gratification.

Positive suncatcheracres On Aug 4, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

I love cannas and they usually love growing in my climate, Northcentral Florida, zone 8b, as we get about 60 inches of rain a year. However, nearing the end of this rainy, cool summer we have already had 60 inches of rain, and if the promised La Nina doesn't come this fall, we may wind up with close to 80 or 90 inches. My cannas still love all the rain, and I have masses of foliage, but not many flowers.

My "Tropicana" was a gift last year from a neighbor, and I planted the baby plant in a raised flower bed last November. We had an unusually cold winter, but the "Tropicana" sprouted beautifully this spring, only to be hit hard by a very late frost. It had a harder time rebounding from the frost than any of my other cannas, possibly due to it's being so young. Only now in early August has it finally gotten to some height, but it has never flowered, probably due to so little sun this summer. We are in the high 60's at night and the middle 80's during the day--unheard of here in August.

June 1, 2004

My tropicana has finally bloomed--a beautful light-orange flower--I am just thrilled with it and think that it is my favorite canna, both for the red foilage and the beautiful flower. I moved it to a much sunnier spot late last fall, along with several of my other canna varieties, and they make a very pretty flower bed, with the different colors of leaves and flowers. I also have yellow day lilies and red crocosmias in this bed, along with several Louisiana iris.

Positive CannaGrwr On Jun 8, 2003, CannaGrwr wrote:

Canna "Tropicanna" is very easy to grow. Good soil,sun and generous amounts of water will suffice. Very good looking foliage and orange flowers. Put canna in your front yard and your neighbors will want to have a tuber or two for theirs.

Neutral DDsPOTLUCK On Apr 3, 2003, DDsPOTLUCK from convent, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

My past experience with Cannas shows me root division is the way to go to get more of these. I could be wrong about this one, so check it out with other people first. I would love to have this variety in my garden.

Positive Jerome On Jan 13, 2003, Jerome from Beer-Sheva
Israel wrote:

This is a canna with brilliantly coloured foliage, purple with pink veins fading to orange. The flowers are orange, and they are a bonus to the beautifull foliage. It grows very well in a soil which is high in organic matter. The plant prefers to grow at about pH6.5.

Arley, Alabama
Casa Grande, Arizona
Goodyear, Arizona
Litchfield Park, Arizona
Mesa, Arizona
Phoenix, Arizona (3 reports)
Queen Creek, Arizona
Scottsdale, Arizona
Tucson, Arizona (3 reports)
Sherwood, Arkansas
Ukiah, California
Vista, California
Clifton, Colorado
Loveland, Colorado
Granby, Connecticut (2 reports)
Apopka, Florida
Oxford, North Carolina
Canton, Ohio
New Concord, Ohio
Tallmadge, Ohio
Elk City, Oklahoma (2 reports)
Hulbert, Oklahoma
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (2 reports)
Alsea, Oregon
Ashland, Oregon
Oakland, Oregon
Portland, Oregon (2 reports)
Salem, Oregon
Copperas Cove, Texas
Elgin, Texas
Elkhart, Texas
Fate, Texas
Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)
Freeport, Texas
Plano, Texas
Princeton, Texas
Rowlett, Texas
San Angelo, Texas
San Antonio, Texas (3 reports)
Spring, Texas
Spring Branch, Texas
Manassas, Virginia
Roanoke, Virginia
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Cathan, Washington
Concrete, Washington
Kirkland, Washington (2 reports)
Puyallup, Washington
Shoreline, Washington
Vancouver, Washington
Milwaukee, Wisconsin (2 reports)
West Bend, Wisconsin