Canna Lily 'Tropicanna'

Canna x generalis

Family: Cannaceae (kan-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Canna (KAN-uh) (Info)
Species: x generalis (jen-er-RAY-liss) (Info)
Cultivar: Tropicanna
Additional cultivar information:(PP10569; Tropicanna series, aka Phaison, Orange Durban, Tropicanna)
Hybridized by Potgieter

Casa Grande, Arizona

Goodyear, Arizona

Litchfield Park, Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Phoenix, Arizona (3 reports)

Queen Creek, Arizona

Scottsdale, Arizona (2 reports)

Tucson, Arizona (3 reports)

Sherwood, Arkansas

Ukiah, California

Vista, California

Clifton, Colorado

Loveland, Colorado

Granby, Connecticut (2 reports)

Apopka, Florida

Oxford, North Carolina

Canton, Ohio

New Concord, Ohio

Tallmadge, Ohio

Elk City, Oklahoma (2 reports)

Hulbert, Oklahoma

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (2 reports)

Alsea, Oregon

Ashland, Oregon

Oakland, Oregon

Portland, Oregon (2 reports)

Salem, Oregon

Copperas Cove, Texas

Elgin, Texas

Elkhart, Texas

Fate, Texas

Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)

Freeport, Texas

Plano, Texas

Princeton, Texas

Rowlett, Texas

San Angelo, Texas

San Antonio, Texas (3 reports)

Spring, Texas

Spring Branch, Texas

Manassas, Virginia

Roanoke, Virginia

Virginia Beach, Virginia

Cathan, Washington

Concrete, Washington

Kirkland, Washington (2 reports)

Puyallup, Washington

Shoreline, Washington

Vancouver, Washington

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (2 reports)

West Bend, Wisconsin

On May 3, 2015, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Multiple positive reviews cover all that is to be said about this beautiful canna. I will always grow it in my garden.

On Oct 23, 2013, realityfaery from Delano, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Cannas love our climate here and almost every other house you see a different variety of this beautiful plant. We just got 3 different varieties from my grandmother a few months ago and they seem to love the sandy flowerbed we put them in, this Tropicanna variety is wonderful to see in person. The foliage is just as fascinating as the blooms themselves.

On Jun 27, 2013, Cville_Gardener from Clarksville, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Also known as or spelled 'Phasion'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canna_'Phasion'

On Aug 12, 2012, FountainMan from McKinney, TX wrote:

I'm in North Texas where few plants can survive the droughts we see.

I got this and planted in a redesigned garden area and is really the focal point. I wanted more color variations and I liked the darker leaves and red leaves add the color sceme I was looking for.

Growing can be tricky. I don't water it more than once every 2 weeks but the clay soil we have holds water well so we don't have to worry about that but it seems to take the heat well also.

On Dec 6, 2011, Sandwichkatexan from Copperas Cove, TX wrote:

Sailed through this Texas drought with only one drawback , it only reached 3 feet instead of the usual six . flowered like mad due to drought stress no doubt . It was a hummingbird magnet in my drought stricken yard .

On Sep 26, 2011, PennySmith2011 from Oklahoma City, OK wrote:

This is my first attempt at growing Cannas in Okla. City, Ok.
I have the solid green leaf variety with 3 colors, orange, red and yellow. Love the idea that I can divide the plant bulb shoots and spread them out since some bulbs purchased did not sprout.

As for the bulbs that did not sprout, is it possible they will come up next year if I leave them alone or should I remove them?

On Sep 26, 2011, onemoreshot from Kissimmee, FL wrote:

This is a great plant, I live in Central Florida just south of Kissimmee. I started with a few plants and now have hundreds, I could have thousands if I had the room and the time.

I have yellow, red, a mixed color from the yellow and red flowers and I just purchased one orange colored one this year. Here is an example, that one orange canna I purchased this Spring has been split twice and I now have almost a dozen. I am in zone 9 so I will be splitting them again mid October.

I cut the seed heads off and once a plant has provided me with three flowers I cut that plant down to the ground. I chop up the plant and drop the cuttings on the ground. That is it, no bugs, no disease and blooms all season if only all plants could be like this.

On Sep 26, 2011, luvblooms from Saint Louis, MO wrote:

The original one I grew in a pot bloomed beautifully, but the replacement (also grown in a pot) has not had blooms at all (two seasons). It has recently added new leaves that are striped as they should be.
I love the plant but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Could it have a fungus or something? I live in mid eastern Missouri.

On Sep 26, 2011, zelisheva from jerusalem
Israel wrote:

I'm in Jerusalem Israel-zone 10. My canna ia 2 years old, gets about 4 hours sun and water but it hasn't grown much and no flowers! can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong? Thanks

On May 20, 2010, braun06 from Peoria Heights, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

Most awesome canna to me and some years survives winter in the ground of zone 5A if there is snow. This aside I had to dispose mine due to canna viruses that are going global. My plants got distorted and odd colors in the leaves. The virus is spread by insects and all of my neighbors have the same problem. New plants from the store will still likely carry the disease so I am not planting cannas in general anymore.

On Aug 31, 2009, gdthorst from Granby, CT (Zone 6a) wrote:

In 2008, a single three-foot Canna was given to me in a two-gallon pot without flowers. I removed it from the pot in October, dried out, and hung in onion bag in cellar for the winter at 54 degrees. In April of 2009, I split apart the five rhizomes and planted them in rich soiled one-gallon starter pots. New England had a wet, cold spring in 2009. I lost three rhizomes due to rot. My Cannas did not start to grow until outside temperature reached the 60's in May. When I saw the shoots growing, I transferred the Cannas to five-gallon pots in rich fertilized soil. They grew to 54 inches tall. The first red flower buds didn't show them selves until the 28th of August, however they have beautiful green/red healthy leaves. Next year I will be sure to start them in a warm place to insure a jump o... read more

On Jul 2, 2009, WillowWasp from Jones Creek, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

One of the prettier canna's, leaves are impressive and blooms are sooooo pretty and bright. A real keeper in my book.

On Oct 27, 2008, wolfboi1970 from Reading, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I love this site and ALOT of great tips from fellow gardeners are posted...HOWEVER I read a comment about NOT placeing cannas in ponds...they can drowned??? Cannas ARE water plants...I had 2 stalks measure out at 13.5 feet and the ones in the ground in front of house went up to the 2nd story windows

Also, cannas are invasive weeds in Florida wetlands...they LOVE water. So if you have a pond, please don't shy away from using them in the back of ponds or the dwarf ones in the foreground...thats how I was introduced to cannas...by pond owners....

I started planting in dirt 2 yrs later and the ones up to my 2 story windows...my trick...I watered EVERY MORNING...I put hose into center of clump and let water run while I weeded my beds....and fed them with fertilizer... read more

On Aug 23, 2008, babygrl from La Porte, IN wrote:

i was given four root pieces which turned into about thirty roots,, i have just dug it all up and im planting it elsewhere in my yard and i live in indiana zone 5 and im leaving it in the ground all winter to see what happens. if it lives, thats great, if not i have a bucket load of roots.

On Jun 25, 2008, Tir_Na_Nog from Houston
United States (Zone 9b) wrote:

I saw this plant at a Home Depot and was so impressed with it's height and vivid bold colors! I hope to add some but the plants were $15 just for one.

On Mar 19, 2008, TropiTiki from Murrells Inlet, SC (Zone 8b) wrote:

This variety has been adored for decades all over the world. It was not developed by Tesselaar, but merely patented by them and given a new trademarked name. The only difference is the higher price for Tesselaar's.

On Mar 17, 2008, MsDepp from Murfreesboro, TN wrote:

I have a canna which blooms red and yellow. A friend's husband got it to me about 6 years ago. I have split it and planted in different areas in my yard. Also shared with family and friends. It is beautiful and blooms all summer until frost .

On Oct 26, 2007, Just_Grow_It from Manassas, VA wrote:

It's beautiful and easy to grow. One of the best Cannas. It is perennial in my area (zone 6b/7a) WITHOUT digging the bulbs up, but only if planted up next to the house where the ground stays a little warmer then usual. It never sets seeds, but is easily divided.

On Mar 24, 2007, fly_girl from The Woodlands, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Cannas are susceptible to the Canna Leafroller or the Brazilian Skipper butterfly. The larva can do extensive damage by rolling up the leaves and feeding on them.
Other than this drawback, I love the Tropicanna.

On Jul 23, 2006, sangeline from Opa Locka, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

I love my cannas but something has eaten all the leaves.

On Apr 28, 2006, allisaw from Springfield, OR (Zone 7b) wrote:

I purchased my Tropicanna from a store in Portland last summer. I was uncertain about planting them outside, so they are still potted. I kept the pot outside on my covered front patio so they got partial sun - but I had to water every day. They grew like crazy all summer long and were just gorgeous! So far it has been my favorite tropical plant. It was also a lot of fun to bring them inside for a tropical touch when I had guests. I'm not a big fan of the color orange. However, the flowers are simply BEAUTIFUL - a bright show of orange against the large leaves of the plant that are filled with various multi-color stripes of red, purple and green. It is just amazing - I can't say enough! The blooms are long lasting but when they died, I did cut them off the plant. During winter, I ... read more

On Apr 17, 2006, flipper83 from Victoria

Beautiful easy to grow plant! I picked it up at a local discount garden center (yes, the real Tropicanna) & dropped it in my garden. It was in an irrigated zone, so it received a decent amount of water. It grew to about 5 feet in year one and bloomed like crazy. In the late fall, I chopped it right down, threw some of the leaves on top of it for mulch, some soil,, and let it sit. I looked today, and it's coming back up. Amazing, but I think it may take over the garden. I will have to divide and give to some friends.
Update, August 06, this thing grows in BC very well, and I never took it in.

On Apr 1, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

One of my top five favorite cannas. Medium height, foliage has scrumptious, almost surrealistic multi-coloration.

On Nov 17, 2005, admodeva from Dutton, AL (Zone 7a) wrote:

This one is beautiful to me, it's held up well over this past summer's drought, even when neglected somewhat. Dust and dirt really show on the foliage though.

On Oct 18, 2005, Moonglow from Corte Madera, CA wrote:

Many thanks to SoCal (Donna), I now have this beautiful plant. This cultivar is BREATHTAKING. Truly the backbone of my small tropical corner.

I received Donna's gift late June 2005, and by the end of summer, I was able to give away two more divisions. One for my mom in San Diego, and another for my godmother (San Jacinto). Imagine, from a 2g pot!

It has also bloomed for me during that short period of time.

On Oct 14, 2005, gingern from Irvine, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Really adds a tropical look, but requires LOTS of water and, in here in Zone 9, can be quite invasive. The clump gets much larger very quickly - fine if you're willing to regularly (twice per year) dig up and divide. However, this is a large, heavy plant so digging up and dividing is not the easiest chore in the garden! Leaves look ratty if plant doesn't get enough regular water. Great for a trouble spot that remains constantly wet yet receives full sun.

On Jul 13, 2005, chunx from San Diego, CA wrote:

I bought a one gallon container of the 'Tropicanna' last Spring (2004) from Lowe's for about $10. Within a week, it had another stalk coming up before I even planted it in the ground. I divided it and put the smaller cutting in a large pot and planted the larger stalk in the ground. A year later, I have over 25 of these, all over 4 feet tall, some around 6 feet, and all are blooming. They are probably the best looking tropical I own.

Here in Southern California, they grow in our clay soil very well with a lot of water and even more fertilizer. They have filled in a totally bare spot on the side of my house. The tropical effect of the different colors in the leaves is an eye-catcher. I've had several neighbors ask for cuttings, and they're pretty surprised when I jus... read more

On May 27, 2005, tropicalfreak from Hollywood, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

I have always heard people sink their cannas in ponds. I wouldn't recommend this. These guys do love water, but they could drown.

On Mar 8, 2005, xyris from Sebring, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

A note on flowering time ...my 'Tropicanna' started flowering on March 1 this year. In this climate it will be in almost continuous flower from now until November or December. Most cannas here seem to shut down flowering for the "winter' months. They are real heat lovers.

On Mar 7, 2005, mikib from Austin, TX wrote:

Just bought my first 3-gal. Tropicanna and read it was okay to sink it my koi pond (see "wnstarr, Oct. 26,2003") . Has been there over a week and we have had more rain days than not, temps 50's-70's. Leaves are starting to curl up, plant is submerged about 1 1/2" below water level. Just wondered if anyone else had experience with this one in a pond.

On Sep 21, 2004, jkom51 from Oakland, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This canna does well also in partial shade. In frost-free zones it will exceed 7' in a single season. Extremely vigorous, almost to the point of invasiveness. Divide regularly to keep in check.

On Sep 20, 2004, ladyannne from Merced, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

A stunning plant, with a gorgeous rainbow leaf and hot orange flowers. We put the pot away for the winter and bring it back out again in spring when the leaves explode with colour. This does well no matter where we put it, sun or shade.

On Sep 3, 2004, Toxicodendron from Piedmont, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

I have not yet grown this particular cultivar, but I grow many other cannas. To overwinter cannas in colder zones, wait until a frost has blackened the leaves. Dig the plants up (the rhizomes can be large, so dig generously so you don't chop them in pieces), cut the tops back to 12 inches, wash off all the soil, and lay out to dry in a dark, airy place for a couple of weeks, turning occasionally.

When fairly dry (don't dry them too much, they should not shrivel), cut off the tops to 2 inches and store. I store mine in loosely closed plastic (Walmart) bags for the winter, without any packing material and have had better results than with sand, peat moss, sawdust, etc. I store them in the dark in the coolest bedroom under a dresser at about 60 to 70 degrees.

... read more

On Aug 20, 2004, KSunfl0wer from Coatesville, PA wrote:

I bought a bag of these at a discount store this spring, popped them into the flower bed, and waited with not very high expectations. But I have over a dozen gorgeous cannas growing now, blooming with great enthusiasm -- we've had a fairly wet summer, and apparently they've decided they like Pennsylvania. How do I make sure they survive the winter?

On Aug 1, 2004, katiehoke from Granby, CT wrote:

I am a new gardener and have been awed by this beautiful plant. I live in CT so I keep it in a pot. What is the best way to save it for next year?

On Jul 8, 2004, sshop34 from Jasper, GA wrote:

I am in zone 7B in the North Georgia mountains and planted Tropicana Canna in 5-gallon pots on my deck. They have done great. Carolyn

On May 31, 2004, nick89 from Tallahassee, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

A popular canna cultivar with stunning red striped foliage. The large flowers are bright orange. I find it easy to propagate by root division. This cultivar is less vigorous than some other cannas but I believe it is well worth the effort.

On Oct 26, 2003, wnstarr from Puyallup, WA (Zone 5a) wrote:

Edgewood, Washington
This Canna has grown for years in my garden. It has survived many winters where there were freezing temps and lots of rain. It will rot from the constant water over the winter if not planted in a well drained location. The foliage is every bit as exciting as the bloom if not more so. Propagation is best by division. I have them planted in the ground and also have them in pots sunk into the koi pond. Wonderful addition to tropical look in a temperate zone. Try one and you too will be a convert to this beautiful plant.

On Oct 26, 2003, clantonnaomi from Iredell, TX wrote:

Even if this canna never did bloom, the foliage would certainly make having the plant worthwhile. Such gorgeous colored leaves! I started with one bulb several years ago and it has multipled into many, many more. I have dug many for friends - so easy to grow in central Texas.

On Oct 25, 2003, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

San Antonio, Tx.
In my opinion, this is the showiest of all the cannas. It is especially noteworthy when planted in a location where the morning and afternoon sunlight can backlight it. Providing exquisite color, it practically jumps out from among the other plants and says, "Look at me!" It is super easy to grow and would provide a beginner gardener instant gratification.

On Aug 4, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

I love cannas and they usually love growing in my climate, Northcentral Florida, zone 8b, as we get about 60 inches of rain a year. However, nearing the end of this rainy, cool summer we have already had 60 inches of rain, and if the promised La Nina doesn't come this fall, we may wind up with close to 80 or 90 inches. My cannas still love all the rain, and I have masses of foliage, but not many flowers.

My "Tropicana" was a gift last year from a neighbor, and I planted the baby plant in a raised flower bed last November. We had an unusually cold winter, but the "Tropicana" sprouted beautifully this spring, only to be hit hard by a very late frost. It had a harder time rebounding from the frost than any of my other cannas, possibly due to it's being so young. Only now ... read more

On Jun 8, 2003, CannaGrwr wrote:

Canna "Tropicanna" is very easy to grow. Good soil,sun and generous amounts of water will suffice. Very good looking foliage and orange flowers. Put canna in your front yard and your neighbors will want to have a tuber or two for theirs.

On Apr 3, 2003, DDsPOTLUCK from convent, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

My past experience with Cannas shows me root division is the way to go to get more of these. I could be wrong about this one, so check it out with other people first. I would love to have this variety in my garden.

On Jan 13, 2003, Jerome from Beer-Sheva
Israel wrote:

This is a canna with brilliantly coloured foliage, purple with pink veins fading to orange. The flowers are orange, and they are a bonus to the beautifull foliage. It grows very well in a soil which is high in organic matter. The plant prefers to grow at about pH6.5.