Canna Lily
Canna x generalis 'Wyoming'

Family: Cannaceae (kan-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Canna (KAN-uh) (Info)
Species: x generalis (jen-er-RAY-liss) (Info)
Cultivar: Wyoming

Ponds and Aquatics

Orange

Variegated

Blue-Green

Burgundy

Dark/Black

Bronze-Green

Very high moisture needs; suitable for bogs and water gardens

Arley, Alabama

Irvington, Alabama

Mesa, Arizona

Phoenix, Arizona (2 reports)

Queen Creek, Arizona

Clifton, Colorado

Clearwater, Florida

Lutz, Florida

Trenton, Florida

Braselton, Georgia (2 reports)

Canton, Georgia

Stafford, Virginia

White Center, Washington

West Bend, Wisconsin

On Jun 14, 2014, eolivas103 from Las Cruces, NM (Zone 8a) wrote:

I planted the original in too much shade but didn't care too much because I loved the foilage. Well, little by little it had babies that made their way to a sunnier area and those babies are all grown up and flowering. Definately a survivor and a beautiful treat for the eyes!

On Aug 30, 2012, Mike_W from Sterling, MA wrote:

I have been growing "Wyoming" cannas for at least 4 years here in zone 6 Massachusetts. I grow them in a flower bed about 12 inches from my foundation on the south side of my house. They usually sprout from the ground in March and by July they are about 6 feet tall. They usually die back in late October/ early November with the first frost/freeze. I then wait until early December for them to dry up and cut them down to 2 inch stumps and cover them with about an inch of grass clippings and they get through the winter just fine. They have done so well that they have been multiplying each year and have started to creep into other areas of my back yard.

On Feb 20, 2011, Gascoigne from Shawnee Mission, KS (Zone 5a) wrote:

I live in the Kansas City area, and this canna rhizome from A* e Hardware survived our winters under heavy mulching (10 inches of mulch) including the leaves pile upon it which I have seen a lot of other people do until last frost....so I would say they are hardy to Zone 6 with good mulching...so are Elephant ears. It created 12 divisions from one rhizome in one season, so this one gets an A in my book...love it! Going to try Humbert next---the giant red one, and Bengal Pretoria, the striped leaves one. Needs very little attention, reblooms with super color on foliage AND flowers ALL summer!

On Oct 27, 2010, coreny1 from Petersburg, IN wrote:

These plants grow like crazy! This is my second year for growing them from transplanted bulbs. this winter I will dig a few up to put in hibernation and cut the rest off and mulch to see if they can survive the Indiana winter. Does anybody else have to dig them up each year? How do you store the bulbs?

On Jul 15, 2009, GrowinEngrGirl from Pocatello, ID (Zone 5a) wrote:

I have these planted in a rather exposed area of my back yard. They receive full sun all day and put up with 100+ degree temps. On really hot days, the blooms will wilt some, but the plants don't seem to mind otherwise. Mine seem to have adjusted to the dry conditions I have. While I do water them more than my other plants, they've certainly gone bone dry more than once!This is the second summer I've had them and I'm having to really thin them out. I'll probably divide them in the fall to share with other parts of the yard.

Overall, I love them. They provide a nice privacy screen when they're full grown. My neighbor popped her head over the fence to ask what that beautiful tall flower was :-)

On Nov 26, 2008, njarratt from London + Italy
United Kingdom wrote:

Given plenty of water, this will multiply like crazy. It needs water more than it needs sun. I've had flowers from one I transplanted from Italy to the UK - plenty of rain there, but not much sun! In drought conditions it will survive but not multiply well or flower. Given loads of water and lots of sun, you have perfect conditions and it will continuously reproduce. From my original stock of 2 that I discovered in the garden in a dry zone with no water (they never grew well or flowered) I moved them and now have about 30 dotted around the place close to irrigation fonts.

What I call a great bargain plant ... I like things that give you free plants!

On Apr 27, 2007, Lhouselover from Arley, AL (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have both the green and the darker foliage and love both of them. They are multiplying pretty good but nothing like the Florence Vaughan.

On Apr 15, 2006, centralva from Richmond, VA wrote:

Transplanted one last year.Given as a surprise gift from
a friend.Continued to grow, though didnt produce flowers.
It had a natural mulch this winter.Hopefully it didnt freeze.
It still hasnt come up yet.Im hoping its just a lag due to cool soil conditions.

On Mar 31, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

One of the very best and darkest of the dark foliaged cannas, in my opinion. Really makes a statement.

On Feb 16, 2003, Abutilon from Coal Center, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Excellent canna for both foliage and bloom. Good as a specimen and background plant. One of my first cannas and always a favourite. Hard to beat 'Wyoming' for good performance, ease to grow, and good looks (o:

Heirloom canna dating to Leon Wintzer, 1906. Tall height.