Louisiana Iris 'Black Gamecock'

Family: Iridaceae (eye-rid-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Iris (EYE-ris) (Info)
Cultivar: Black Gamecock

Midseason (M)

Awards (if applicable):

Honorable Mention

Award of Merit

Mary Swords DeBaillon Medal (LA)

Flowers are good for cutting

Very high moisture needs; suitable for bogs and water gardens

Tucson, Arizona

Arlington, Virginia

Charlottesville, Virginia

Chesapeake, Virginia

On Jul 1, 2013, datagoodies from Stratford, CT wrote:

In the late fall of 2012, I planted 3 bareroot Black Gamecock Louisiana Iris here in Stratford, CT near the marshes of Long Island Sound. The site, about 6 inches from the side of our garage -- which doesn't have any guttering, had always been a wet, mossy mess. I amended the soil with a bag of manure from Home Depot and covered the site with large pine bark chunks that kept the soil from washing away.
Although the winter that followed was spectacularly cold and snowy and the site gets only afternoon sun, all plants produced beautiful blooms by the end of June 2013. I added dwarf rasberry astilbes ("Visions") in front of the plot. Happy to have swapped mossy puddles for these water lovers that seem to take care of themselves.

On May 30, 2012, WoodlandLisa from KILLINGWORTH, CT wrote:

I'm looking for some feedback re this plant. I received 3 free bulbs from a nursery vendor with an order I placed. I'm in CT and my house is in/surrounded by woodland. I get very little full sun, but happened to plant these bulbs (with roots and new growth) in a place with full direct sun from about 10 am to 3 pm. Though I'm concerned beause most of what I'm reading indicates these do best in a boggy/moist environment. Does anyone have any input or advice contrary to these circumstances? While I didn't buy these plants, they are pretty and would fit into my garden scheme and I'd like them to surive and thrive. Also, notes indicate they are deer resistant? Any input or feedback is appreciated.

On Apr 22, 2011, sunkissed from Winter Springs, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I bought this plant back in April of 2009 at a local nursery, it was in full bloom when I bought it. I planted it into the ground and by the end of summer it was looking pretty bad. Then I discovered it needed to stay moist and realizing in my hot sandy soil that wasn't going to happen, so I moved it to a big ceramic pot that stays pretty moist. All year in 2010 I had luscious green growth, but never any blooms, it tripled in size. Over wintered just fine with temps dipping into the upper twenties quite a few nights. Then this year I added some coffee grounds to it, read somewhere that they like them. At first they yellowed and I thought I made a mistake, but then greened up a deep dark green. And to my surprise I got lots of flowers for the first time the end of March through the first we... read more

On Apr 21, 2009, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

What a stunning display it makes. Mine is planted inground, part sun and while not in a very boggy area, I did take care to plant it where the sprinkler will hit it for sure.

It has been a fast multiplier, though I'm hoping that having it in less than full sun and not as moist will slow down its enthusiasm for spreading.

On Jul 12, 2008, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

A very regal shade of purple. Blooms in June in my garden.

On Jul 11, 2008, tosoiba from Las Vegas, NV wrote:

I am attempting to grow 5 gamecocks in the small flower bed right in front of my house. I have the moisture right, the full sunlight and the acidity. So far they aren't doing too bad.

Could someone advise me on how often to fertilize my plants.

On Apr 27, 2007, WUVIE from Hulbert, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

The Louisiana Iris is indeed a durable beauty.

We grow them in a natural pond, in pots, in the ground, all
over. True to form, they bloom best when grown in water.
Can be grown in a container with adequate watering or in
a pot with a tray of water beneath.

Endures the winter as if it didn't have a care in the world,
blooming in late spring to early summer.

On Jun 11, 2006, GeorgiaJo from Dallas, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Grows in the pond, alongside the pond, in pots, in tubs, in sun in part-sun.....

Blooms well and multiplies quickly.

On Mar 9, 2006, TBGDN from (Zone 5a) wrote:

BLACK GAMECOCK: (F. Chowning, R. 1978). Sdlg. FC77-12. LA 24" (61 cm) L. "Blue-black (RHS 103A) self; narrow gold line signal. Unknown parentage., Melrose Gardens 1980." Very hardy here in 5a/b. Easily grown in damp, boggy or consistently moist soil. Requires somewhat acidic conditions which can easily be achieved by addition of garden sulphur or Miracid commercial fertilizer.

On Dec 21, 2005, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

Awards: American Iris Society Honorable Mention '82, Award of Merit '86, Mary Swords Debaillon Award '89

On Apr 26, 2005, nevadagdn from Sparks, NV (Zone 7a) wrote:

I just added this to my pond this year. More as the year progresses.

On Oct 23, 2004, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

I have several of these iris in my iris bog next to my pond, and also planted in my front garden where it seems to do equally as well in spring moist/well drained soil. This is one of the few iris I can say reliably blooms each year. Flag iris, does, of course, but I haven't had as much luck with other types such as bearded.

On Nov 30, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

I bought mine from a local nursery in early Spring of 2003, and it flowered in May here in Northcentral Florida, zone 8b, and is now growing in a low, wet spot near a Brown Turkey fig tree with several other kinds of iris. It eventually had several flowers and three seed pods. I let the pods hang on the stalks for months--I eventually had to stake them--and when the pods started turning yellow, I opened them up and found seeds, despite the pods having several insect holes bored into them. I planted the seeds in light potting soil and late this summer I saw about a dozen little sprouts. I shared some of the sprouts with friends and planted the rest in my garden, where so far several have survived both dogs and squirrels. Next time I will let the seedlings stay in a pot for at least a y... read more

On Jun 27, 2003, ChefWil from Washington, CA (Zone 7b) wrote:

It grows well in my pond planted in 2" of clay pellets over a 4 inch layer of heavy clay soil submersed in 3 inches of water in full sun. I fertilize with houseplant stakes every month.

On Jun 14, 2003, fidler from La Verkin, UT wrote:

Hybridized from Louisiana, it grows very well in my southern Utah pond and bog gardens. It also does well in moist borders in partial shade gardens. Less light and higher alkalinity resualt in pailer color. Very hardy.