PlantFiles: Tall Bearded Iris
Iris 'Immortality'

Family: Iridaceae (eye-rid-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Iris (EYE-ris) (Info)
Cultivar: Immortality
Hybridized by Zurbrigg; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1982

Class:
Tall Bearded (TB)

Midseason (M)
Reblooming (Re)

Flowers are good for cutting
Flowers are good for drying and preserving

Awards (if applicable):

Thumbnail #6 of Iris  by loic

By Equilibrium
Thumbnail #7 of Iris  by Equilibrium

Positive WarwickDave On May 23, 2014, WarwickDave from Warwick, RI wrote:

I have had the stunning and shimmering white Immortality in my garden for years. Once the clumps are established, generally after a year or two, they re-bloom with absolute consistency for me in late September/early October, sending up new stalks until freezing weather. The only other iris I have that is as reliable a re-bloomer as Immortality is 'Baby Blessed', a yellow dwarf iris that was also given to me years ago. Highly recommended.

Positive eolivas103 On Dec 29, 2013, eolivas103 from Las Cruces, NM (Zone 8a) wrote:

Planted Fall 2012 and did not see bloom until December of 2013. Very impressed though that it bloomed even after we had light snow in November and freezing temps

Positive Sheltielovers13 On Jun 12, 2013, Sheltielovers13 from LITTLE SUAMICO, WI wrote:

I love these large fragrant flowers that bloom twice for me every year. I did have 2 small groups that did not bloom this year, but I think that might be from my taking babies from them too much. Not sure. Otherwise, tons of flowers twice a year.

Positive Irissimo On Jun 5, 2013, Irissimo from London/Kent
United Kingdom wrote:

This was worth waiting for !
I love the soft lilac buds sheathed in spathes and the promise of pure white flowers.
It has produced breathtakingly beautiful blooms on strong stems, which have not been weakened by heavy rain and winds. This is one of the worst English summers that I've experienced.

I'm hoping for an increase in the rhizomes so I can take some over to my mother's garden .

Positive violet_virginia On Oct 23, 2012, violet_virginia from Richmond, VA wrote:

I love love Immortality Iris, I bought it in Ebay, I know some sellers may have mislabelled the plant they sell but I really dont mind as I am bound to forget all these names just like all the plants I bought. "From our yard and too over grown. I am selling what I have cleared. We are not experts cutting these roots but my kids wants extra money, they will box it and send you extras. I researched this and believe its **Immortality**. You wont be dissappointed if you like iris all the time. Buy more and save on large flat rate box shipping"...that was his winning ad. I almost wished I didnt bid beacause I **do not like white flowers**, but I did because we needed a contrast to this yellow iris we have the blooms from spring until some heavy snows snaps the flower stems. When my husband opened the box, he said I just bought a lot of irises to get tired of. OMG, it was more than what we wanted to work on for that afternoon. The plants were so so fresh they seemed freshly dugged, dirt shooked, boxed and shipped. It is now 10/23/2012 I have blooms and flower stems on almost each root the ebayer sold me.What made me sign in to this site- is to let you know what the ebayer didnt mention, this is fragrant !!! I placed this beautiful glowing white iris in our foyer buffet, it filled the entrance with this delicate scent. Another plus that was not mentioned was the color is not flat white, its has a very light hint of lavender and stripes that make the flower seem to glow in our foyer, then the yellow beard!!! So pretty!!!! Thanks to the comments I read on this site, I found another iris of a different color that is truly delightful. Can anyone recommend a fragrant and reblooming TB iris that is not white or yellow as I have both already?

Positive eukofios On Sep 8, 2012, eukofios from Vancouver, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I grow Immortality in Vancouver WA zone 8. It increases well and doesnt have problems. Bloom is nice size. Not too big which is good for me. I think it rebloomed once for me in the past 7 years. It always puts on a great show in May.

Positive CreativeCountry On Oct 23, 2010, CreativeCountry from Petersburg, IN wrote:

Probably my favorite iris. It has rebloomed for me on even small new divisions. It is beautiful with roses and has a wonderful scent. If you are scared to pay the money for RB iris, this is the one to try. I have several pictures of it blooming on my blog.
~Brooke

Positive reefgeek On May 21, 2010, reefgeek from Island Lake, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

I planted two of these the beginning of May this year. One already has a beautiful bloom now. It has a faint purple tint.

Neutral Kestris On May 12, 2010, Kestris from Roanoke, VA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Immortality has bloomed once in the 3 years I've had it. The blooms were gorgeous, large and numerous.

The fans are strong and large, just no blooms lately. It's not quite large enough to split yet, but should by next year.

Positive emily_n On May 19, 2009, emily_n from Williamston, MI wrote:

This iris is a reliable rebloomer for me, and a robust grower. I love its small scale (by iris standards). It reblooms in early September. However, the fall blooms end up covered with Japanese beetles.

Positive gypsysparrow On Mar 25, 2009, gypsysparrow from Colton, CA wrote:

Planted last spring, '08, and is blooming now, March 09. Surprised because it only gets 5 hours of sun!

Neutral Mainer On Jan 28, 2009, Mainer from Durham, ME (Zone 3a) wrote:

Had this plant before Linda gave me a piece and it died because it insisted on blooming in Oct not in the spring. I placed Linda's piece in a more sheltered spot and it bloomed in the spring and did not in Oct so it might live long enough to make babies. Lovely white flower and smells wonderful.

Positive amazar On Sep 1, 2007, amazar from Eau Claire, WI (Zone 4a) wrote:

Planted fall 2004. Rebloomed in 2006 and 2007 - in zone 4a. Amazing.

Neutral Joan On May 24, 2007, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

Awards: Honorable Mention 1986; Award of Merit 1990

Positive mypetalpatch On May 17, 2007, mypetalpatch from Cloverdale, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Fantasic grower with great increase. Mine's in a lot of shade and still sends up multiple scapes and reblooms. Earlier and shorter than the majority of Talls - first bloom is right after the border beardeds. Flower is not impressive in size or form - a grey/green white, but would do well in landscape situations in large clumps. Haven't gotten mine to set a pod and no success as a pollen parent yet either -hmm.

Positive MikenMyrtle On Jul 29, 2006, MikenMyrtle from Myrtle Beach, SC wrote:

Immortality grows in a bed beside a building where I work. It reblooms in July and August and is often in full flower in 95 degree plus heat.

Positive Cybrczch On May 19, 2006, Cybrczch from Lincoln, NE (Zone 5b) wrote:

Grows quickly, have to divide every other year (but then I get to share the wealth with friends). Because of this I've only had it rebloom once for me in the past 5 years. Blooms early to mid-May in Nebraska (zone 5), before my other tall bearded iris.

Positive Margiempv On Mar 14, 2006, Margiempv from Oro Valley, AZ (Zone 9a) wrote:

Great grower! Reblooms in fall and winter here. Dependable rebloomer too.

Positive MaryE On Jun 10, 2005, MaryE from Baker City, OR (Zone 5b) wrote:

I got a small tuber last fall, have a small plant this year but the bloom is huge! I'm looking forward to seeing it bloom again in the fall. Next year the plant will be larger.

Neutral 33libra On Jun 9, 2005, 33libra from Winnipeg, MB (Zone 3a) wrote:

Lots of blooms and GORGEOUS in Zone 3.

Positive smiln32 On May 19, 2005, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Beautiful and vigorous - pure white blooms with a yellowish beard.

Positive doss On Mar 14, 2005, doss from Stanford, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Tall Bearded Iris 'Immortality' at 29" is a shorter Tall Bearded. It is a mid season bloomer and blooms again in the summer through fall. One of it's great points is that it reblooms pretty consistently across the US. It has been awarded The American Iris Society Honorable Mention '86; and the Award of Merit '90.

Positive SudieGoodman On Jan 29, 2005, SudieGoodman from Broaddus, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I searched a long time before finding the Tall Bearded Iris 'Immortality'. I recently planted same about 6" deep...in soil with a pH of I have mulched with pine straw. I'm so excited about getting Spring and then September blooms! I'm in Zone 8b with mild winters.

Positive Wandasflowers On May 30, 2004, Wandasflowers from Cedar Rapids, IA (Zone 5a) wrote:

I'm very pleased with the spring blooms & was delighted to find it blooming again in September in Iowa!

Houston, Alabama
Happy Jack, Arizona
Phoenix, Arizona (2 reports)
Tucson, Arizona
Belfield, North Dakota
Lawton, Oklahoma
Baker City, Oregon
Gold Hill, Oregon
Salem, Oregon (2 reports)
Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania
Garland, Texas
Greenville, Texas
Richmond, Virginia
Roanoke, Virginia
Vancouver, Washington (2 reports)
Eau Claire, Wisconsin