Tall Bearded Iris
Iris 'Immortality'

Family: Iridaceae (eye-rid-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Iris (EYE-ris) (Info)
Cultivar: Immortality
Hybridized by Zurbrigg
Registered or introduced: 1982

Class:

Tall Bearded (TB)

Midseason (M)

Reblooming (Re)

Flowers are good for cutting

Flowers are good for drying and preserving

Awards (if applicable):

Honorable Mention

Award of Merit

Houston, Alabama

Happy Jack, Arizona

Phoenix, Arizona (2 reports)

Tucson, Arizona

Lawton, Oklahoma

Baker City, Oregon

Gold Hill, Oregon

Roseburg, Oregon

Salem, Oregon (2 reports)

Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania

Garland, Texas

Greenville, Texas

Richmond, Virginia

Roanoke, Virginia

Vancouver, Washington (2 reports)

Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Little Suamico, Wisconsin

Madison, Wisconsin

On May 15, 2015, NJIrisGuy from Toms River, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

I found this Iris to grow rapidly and was not fussy about where it was planted. My only issue with this iris was that the flowers were MASSIVE! I'm not a fan of overly large iris flowers, and 'Immortality' was the largest flowered iris of any iris in my garden. I tend to favor the Historic Iris varieties which are a little more 'graceful' in appearance.

On Oct 22, 2014, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Even though it is rated as suitable for growing in z9, it did not do well for me. It was planted in well amended soil, partial sun, access to sprinkler. After 5 yrs or so, I had a nice clump of foliage but no blooms. I never fertilized . However. I planted a presently unidentified bearded iris which bloomed that same season...

Houston is generally not a good place for growing bearded irises but you do hear from time to time of a person who grow one successfully.

On May 23, 2014, WarwickDave from Warwick, RI wrote:

I have had the stunning and shimmering white Immortality in my garden for years. Once the clumps are established, generally after a year or two, they re-bloom with absolute consistency for me in late September/early October, sending up new stalks until freezing weather. The only other iris I have that is as reliable a re-bloomer as Immortality is 'Baby Blessed', a yellow dwarf iris that was also given to me years ago. Highly recommended.

On Dec 29, 2013, eolivas103 from Las Cruces, NM (Zone 8a) wrote:

Planted Fall 2012 and did not see bloom until December of 2013. Very impressed though that it bloomed even after we had light snow in November and freezing temps

On Jun 12, 2013, Sheltielovers13 from LITTLE SUAMICO, WI wrote:

I love these large fragrant flowers that bloom twice for me every year. I did have 2 small groups that did not bloom this year, but I think that might be from my taking babies from them too much. Not sure. Otherwise, tons of flowers twice a year.

On Jun 5, 2013, Irissimo from London/Kent
United Kingdom wrote:

This was worth waiting for !
I love the soft lilac buds sheathed in spathes and the promise of pure white flowers.
It has produced breathtakingly beautiful blooms on strong stems, which have not been weakened by heavy rain and winds. This is one of the worst English summers that I've experienced.

I'm hoping for an increase in the rhizomes so I can take some over to my mother's garden .

On Oct 23, 2012, violet_virginia from Richmond, VA wrote:

I love love Immortality Iris, I bought it in Ebay, I know some sellers may have mislabelled the plant they sell but I really dont mind as I am bound to forget all these names just like all the plants I bought. "From our yard and too over grown. I am selling what I have cleared. We are not experts cutting these roots but my kids wants extra money, they will box it and send you extras. I researched this and believe its **Immortality**. You wont be dissappointed if you like iris all the time. Buy more and save on large flat rate box shipping"...that was his winning ad. I almost wished I didnt bid beacause I **do not like white flowers**, but I did because we needed a contrast to this yellow iris we have the blooms from spring until some heavy snows snaps the flower stems. When my husband op... read more

On Sep 8, 2012, eukofios from Vancouver, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I grow Immortality in Vancouver WA zone 8. It increases well and doesnt have problems. Bloom is nice size. Not too big which is good for me. I think it rebloomed once for me in the past 7 years. It always puts on a great show in May.

On Oct 23, 2010, CreativeCountry from Petersburg, IN wrote:

Probably my favorite iris. It has rebloomed for me on even small new divisions. It is beautiful with roses and has a wonderful scent. If you are scared to pay the money for RB iris, this is the one to try. I have several pictures of it blooming on my blog.
~Brooke

On May 21, 2010, reefgeek from Island Lake, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

I planted two of these the beginning of May this year. One already has a beautiful bloom now. It has a faint purple tint.

On May 12, 2010, Kestris from Roanoke, VA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Immortality has bloomed once in the 3 years I've had it. The blooms were gorgeous, large and numerous.

The fans are strong and large, just no blooms lately. It's not quite large enough to split yet, but should by next year.

On May 19, 2009, emily_n from Williamston, MI wrote:

This iris is a reliable rebloomer for me, and a robust grower. I love its small scale (by iris standards). It reblooms in early September. However, the fall blooms end up covered with Japanese beetles.

On Mar 25, 2009, gypsysparrow from Colton, CA wrote:

Planted last spring, '08, and is blooming now, March 09. Surprised because it only gets 5 hours of sun!

On Jan 28, 2009, Mainer from Durham, ME (Zone 3a) wrote:

Had this plant before Linda gave me a piece and it died because it insisted on blooming in Oct not in the spring. I placed Linda's piece in a more sheltered spot and it bloomed in the spring and did not in Oct so it might live long enough to make babies. Lovely white flower and smells wonderful.

On Sep 1, 2007, amazar from Eau Claire, WI (Zone 4a) wrote:

Planted fall 2004. Rebloomed in 2006 and 2007 - in zone 4a. Amazing.

On May 24, 2007, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

Awards: Honorable Mention 1986; Award of Merit 1990

On May 17, 2007, mypetalpatch from Cloverdale, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Fantasic grower with great increase. Mine's in a lot of shade and still sends up multiple scapes and reblooms. Earlier and shorter than the majority of Talls - first bloom is right after the border beardeds. Flower is not impressive in size or form - a grey/green white, but would do well in landscape situations in large clumps. Haven't gotten mine to set a pod and no success as a pollen parent yet either -hmm.

On Jul 29, 2006, MikenMyrtle from Myrtle Beach, SC wrote:

Immortality grows in a bed beside a building where I work. It reblooms in July and August and is often in full flower in 95 degree plus heat.

On May 19, 2006, Cybrczch from Lincoln, NE (Zone 5b) wrote:

Grows quickly, have to divide every other year (but then I get to share the wealth with friends). Because of this I've only had it rebloom once for me in the past 5 years. Blooms early to mid-May in Nebraska (zone 5), before my other tall bearded iris.

On Mar 14, 2006, Margiempv from Oro Valley, AZ (Zone 9a) wrote:

Great grower! Reblooms in fall and winter here. Dependable rebloomer too.

On Jun 10, 2005, MaryE from Baker City, OR (Zone 5b) wrote:

I got a small tuber last fall, have a small plant this year but the bloom is huge! I'm looking forward to seeing it bloom again in the fall. Next year the plant will be larger.

On Jun 9, 2005, 33libra from Winnipeg, MB (Zone 3a) wrote:

Lots of blooms and GORGEOUS in Zone 3.

On May 19, 2005, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Beautiful and vigorous - pure white blooms with a yellowish beard.

On Mar 14, 2005, doss from Stanford, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Tall Bearded Iris 'Immortality' at 29" is a shorter Tall Bearded. It is a mid season bloomer and blooms again in the summer through fall. One of it's great points is that it reblooms pretty consistently across the US. It has been awarded The American Iris Society Honorable Mention '86; and the Award of Merit '90.

On Jan 29, 2005, SudieGoodman from Broaddus, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I searched a long time before finding the Tall Bearded Iris 'Immortality'. I recently planted same about 6" deep...in soil with a pH of I have mulched with pine straw. I'm so excited about getting Spring and then September blooms! I'm in Zone 8b with mild winters.

On May 30, 2004, Wandasflowers from Cedar Rapids, IA (Zone 5a) wrote:

I'm very pleased with the spring blooms & was delighted to find it blooming again in September in Iowa!