PlantFiles: Prairie Smoke, 3-Flower Avens, Purple Avens, Old Man's Beard
Geum triflorum

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Geum (JEE-um) (Info)
Species: triflorum (TRY-flor-um) (Info)

USDA Zone 1: below -45.6 C (-55 F)

Purple

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

By kennedyh

By Kim_M
Thumbnail #6 of Geum triflorum by Kim_M

By Equilibrium
Thumbnail #7 of Geum triflorum by Equilibrium

Positive hitchingpost770 On Jan 30, 2014, hitchingpost770 from COTOPAXI, CO wrote:

Grows well here in full sun with drip irrigation once a week. Rabbits don't like--amazing! Flowers twice a year. Minimal care.

Positive hillfarm On Nov 27, 2010, hillfarm from Quesnel, BC (Zone 4a) wrote:

Lovely little wildflower in the dry central interior of British Columbia. This plant is often grown in gardens, but I enjoy it in the wild in its natural habitat; a good reason to take a walk & scout out what's blooming. The seedheads are my favourite thing - showy & long lasting. Great plant. Zone 2 for sure, probably Zone 1 with some snow cover.

Positive Purplegoat On Jan 20, 2010, Purplegoat from Ortonville, MI wrote:

I LOVE this plant. I am most familiar with it through a favorite vacation spot in SD, but I know that it does grow in MI (although now 'threatened'). I have always wanted to try some in our yard, and have finally gotten the courage to attempt germinating some. I know that it must have time in the fridge for awhile, as indicated. Any feedback on success stories would be most interesting to read.

Positive BeckyMcPherson On Feb 22, 2009, BeckyMcPherson from Valley, WA wrote:

We live between two small towns, Springdale and Valley, Washington. Our immediate area is evergreen forest, with space between for wildflowers. I first spotted the prairie smoke flowers several years ago, where the edge of the garden and woods meet. I was curious about it, and found it in a wildflower book. The deer seemed to shun this plant--until I started to prefer it, and pay attention to it--give it a little water. Then, it was eaten with relish by the deer. I've noticed this deer response over and over--if you like it, then they will come! Ha, ha.

This plant is definitely interesting, and I am glad to hear it can be transplanted.

Positive msbomar On Jun 17, 2007, msbomar from Gettysburg, PA wrote:

We garden in zone 6. I have 3 year old prairie smoke plants. They have never "poofed" much. They flower well and spread generously, but they don't get the "bad hair day" look that is so charming about them. Also, one plant which seems ok in other ways is a lighter green and droops more quickly in heat.

Positive CaptMicha On Apr 18, 2006, CaptMicha from Brookeville, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

I've successfully transplanted Geum triflorum into one of my mulched bed from a very generous plant trader.

The plants stayed evergreen throughout my zone 7b winter, successfully in our winter wet conditions. The foliage is a bit fuzzy and grows in a rosette.

This year they flowered and the buds seem to stay closed. The petals don't flare out. They started flowering in early spring, through spring frost and the flowers remain now, unfaded, which is April 18th.

I've found that the plants flower better and grow stronger in part sun, maybe even more sun, than the plants that were shaded by my Campanula.

Update 11/26/06

It's now fall and my plants are flowering again. Not as much as in the spring but I'm pretty happy about this added bonus.
Positive nevrest On Sep 20, 2004, nevrest from Broadview, SK (Zone 3a) wrote:

Beautiful early spring wildflower, that adds color for many weeks as first there are the deep pink flowers (as a kid we called them wild bleeding hearts), then the seed heads form and are pink and green then almost golden, they do indeed in a large group look like smoke over the land.

Positive julie88 On Sep 19, 2004, julie88 from Muscoda, WI (Zone 4b) wrote:

Prairie Smoke grows wild here in Zone 4b in the margins of the sandy, reforested pine areas along the Wisconsin River. In the spring, it's not uncommon to find large, mostly shaded, areas covered with the pink, airy, hair-like flowers of this plant. When a person finally notices them, one can't help but stop and smile at their appearance. They have that "bad hair day-look," something like the little "troll" dolls that once were so popular. Quite an eye-opening experience.

~julie~

Neutral Ehowell On Mar 27, 2001, Ehowell from Weyburn, SK wrote:

This pretty little wildflower is native to Saskatchewan. In the SE part it is protected and we are not supposed to even pick the flowers. As the area was settled and the land was broken for farming many of the native plants disappeared. Now there are certain areas set aside to remain in their natural state. There is one such preserve on the edge of the city wher I live.(Weyburn, Sask. Can) It is called Tatagwa Parkway and we can wander about and see the native plants. We called these plants crocuses when we were kids and always took a bouquet home to mother.

Palmer, Alaska