PlantFiles: Hybrid Tea Rose
Rosa 'Peace'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Peace
Additional cultivar information: (PP591, aka Bke, Fredsrosen, Gioia, Gloria Dei, Madame Antoine Meilland)
Hybridized by Meilland; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1945

Resistant to black spot
Resistant to mildew
Stems are moderately thorny

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Thumbnail #6 of Rosa  by carolann

By Bug_Girl
Thumbnail #7 of Rosa  by Bug_Girl

Neutral Lagunaroses On Jul 14, 2014, Lagunaroses wrote:

I planted 2 of these roses in mid-May, they bloomed very well and then suddenly stopped. Is there a bloom cycle or is there something I need to do to stimulate them?

Neutral 80s_child On Apr 23, 2013, 80s_child from Hayward, CA wrote:

This is very tricky rose ...when u planted in ground .. sometimes takes long time to adjust to the ground level or sometimes just dont started up for long while ..very strange rose .. but when is dose , ..gives LARGE pinkish/ creamy yellow blooms ..,looks real pretty & blooms repeatedly,but lack of scent... but in the heat of summer blooms gets smaller size & also very resident to powdery mildew & blk spots,anyway is like buying lottery ticket u win it or not & hows likes ur yard ...got mine year ago is like so so slow going but not bad!
anyway one thing when u buying it > >> Good luck!

Neutral JAMIESMITH On May 25, 2011, JAMIESMITH from Decatur, MS (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is my grandmother's favorite variety of rose. I do agree that this is a beautful rose (and a classic!) with a delicate scent. I have two complaints: first, the blooms are not very long lasting in comparison with other roses in my garden and second, the color of the blooms on my bush looks very washed out in comparison to the photos I've seen of other people's blooms.

Neutral pfn On Apr 16, 2011, pfn from Harwood, MD wrote:

I grow two of these wonderful roses. I have no idea where they were purchased but the plants are very different.
The oldest has perfectly proportional stems and luscious foliage. This plant has somewhat smaller blooms than the newer plant but they are at least average size. The fragrance is very delicate. It is my favorite rose of my dozen or so roses.
The other has much larger blooms (truly specular!) but not quite so nice a fragrance. The stems are much thicker, distractingly so, and the foliage, like the other, is dark and glssy. Don't get me wrong it is still a lovely rose.
My point in describing these differences is just to let folks know that there are substantial differences in plants from different growers... or so it seems to me.

Neutral bugtug On Mar 18, 2011, bugtug from Marietta, GA wrote:

I am planting my bare-root hybrid tea Peace rose shrub today. I think it will be beautiful in my garden. I shall share my experience with this site after my first bloom. Wish me luck!

Positive litisk On Jun 27, 2010, litisk from Gold Canyon, AZ (Zone 8b) wrote:

An absolutely beautiful flower on this plant. I have had no problems with this plant for the last 3 years. I've even dug it up at one point because we were moving. It didn't do too well the first transplanted year but now it is robust, healthy and producing beautiful blooms. I really cannot smell a strong fragrance from this plant but the blooms more than make up for the lack of scent. You won't be disappointed with this one.

Neutral Joan On Apr 4, 2009, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

Editor's Note

Plant Patent number 591 has expired
Positive kdaustin On Sep 25, 2008, kdaustin from Austin, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Wonderful older hybrid tea that outperforms almost all others. Great big gaudy pink flowers, good fragrance. Will bloom nonstop thru summer if deadheaded.
Yes, it will get blackspot, especially in humid/overcast/rainy periods. Just spray your roses with a milk spray or baking soda before you see a problem if you've been having inclement weather.
Fail to thrive? A lot of people complain about tea roses not taking off in their yards, a lot of people also buy bareroot tea roses which have been inadequately or improperly cared for. Buy your bareroot only from a reputable mailorder or local nursery who know, not from discount houses and box stores that don't know/care and get poor quality stock to begin with.
Or buy established container plants. Prepare your bed by tilling in lots of compost, and some greensand and organic fertilizer. Mulch your roses well to keep soil temps and moisture levals stable. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! Oh ,yeah, plant them in the sun.
Really a wonderful rose, good cut flower too.

Neutral kods24 On May 30, 2007, kods24 from Mullica Hill, NJ wrote:

Very beautiful rose but not resistant to black spot. I have it in a good airy location, still get a little bit of black spot inspite of adding Bayer 3-in 1 for roses.

Positive ddensmore On Apr 30, 2007, ddensmore from Augusta, GA wrote:

We are in zone 8a and have a climbing peace rose that grows incredibly fast and has absolutely huge blooms (5+ inches). I did not keep up with spraying last year and all of my roses suffered from black spot to some degree or another but Peace continued to grow despite that. If you like roses and want to grow them in GA, you have to stick to a regimen for prevention of fungal disease, not to mention maintaining control over a wide variety of non beneficials insects.

Positive Photographer On Apr 6, 2007, Photographer from Moxee, WA (Zone 4a) wrote:

We have this wonderful rose in our small but growing collection in our rose garden. So far we have just 4 roses but will have a 5th (red climber America) in a week or so. The blend of pastel yellow and pink made this an easy choice and the fact that it is hardy to Zone 4.

Positive mcdand On Jan 23, 2007, mcdand from Grand Junction, CO wrote:

This rose (and indeed all hybrid teas) grows easily in Colorado with only a single systemic anti-aphid/fertlizer combination treatment in Spring and occasioinal dead-heading. A great choice for our climate.

Positive spotzim On Jul 25, 2006, spotzim from Palo Alto, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

My grandmother planted our Peace Rose in 1954 or thereabouts. I first met the rose when I regularly visited my Great Uncle Frank in whose yard the rose grows. It was then (1972) nearly smothered behind honeysuckle vine and a nearby clump of Pampas grass. I didn't know it was back there until Great Uncle Frank picked a rose and put it in a vase on the table. Beautiful, beautiful flower. I still have the same rose bush (the Pampas grass and honeysuckle are long gone). It gets black spot, but that doesn't faze it. The blooms are fewer, but that doesn't worry me. This was the rose that changed my mind about roses in the garden. Buried as it was in that jungle, it produced (and continues producing) pearlescent blooms I cannot resist. Any plant that valiant is welcome to my yard.

Positive girlndocs On Mar 2, 2006, girlndocs from Tacoma, WA wrote:

"Madame Antoine Meilland" is the grower's mother. It is how her husband, the grower's father, addressed letters to her from the front in WWI.

During WWII cuttings of the new rose were sent via train from the Meilland home to friends in Germany, Italy, Hungary and the United States. Meilland's hope was that at least one bundle of cuttings would arrive safely in case something happened to their gardens and stock. The cuttings sent to Hungary were intercepted and thrown out along with the mail on the same train, but the other three made it safely.

This is a gorgeous rose, very hardy for a hybrid tea, and the only hybrid tea I have in my garden. I frequently see Peace blooming profusely in the totally neglected gardens of vacant houses or burned-out hulks.

Positive Gindee77 On Jun 23, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This rose is a classic and is a welcome sight in any rose garden. It's been the parent of many great roses and has a rich history.

Negative yayaqueen On May 19, 2004, yayaqueen from Harker Heights, TX wrote:

While the 2 Peace climbers that I have on my back fence have some completely stunning flowers, I find them not at all resistant to black spot. As a matter of fact, the black spot has nearly stripped the foliage and has completely distracted attention from the blooms so far this year. We're in central TX zone 8. My sis-in-law swears it's because we had a particularly wet April this year with much more ranfall than usual. I'll give them another year to watch their performance. Sadly, I may find it necessary to replace them if the black spot returns so badly next year.

Neutral angelam On May 9, 2004, angelam from melbourne
Australia wrote:

I'm in Zone 10, many roses grow well with us but this one is a disappointment. We don't have a disease problem but this rose starts flowering later than most as the weather starts to heat up and the flowers go from the most beautiful buds to spent cabbages in a day.The heat also seems to spoil the perfume which I remember from my childhood in a cooler zone as outstanding.
I'll probably continue to grow it, but for a cut flower only as the flowers last much longer indoors.

Positive suncatcheracres On Jul 20, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

My parents grew a beautiful specimen of the Peace Rose at their suburban home in Baton Rouge, Louisiana in the late 1950's. It flourished in the middle of the back yard in full sun for many years, sprawling over the wood pile every summer. It was the only rose on the property, as my father didn't like plants with thorns, but my Mother insisted on having it, as two of her brothers had served in the military in World War II--one in Europe and one in the Pacific, and she grew it with hope that no one would have to endure that kind of worry again.

Negative PurplePansies On Jul 19, 2003, PurplePansies from Deal, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

A beautiful rose, with a long history. But as with many hybrid teas, failed miserably for me. "Failure to thrive" syndrome with small, stunted plants, plagued by, and regularly defoliated by mildew, rust and black spot. Buds sometimes deformed and attacked by aphids. I'll stick with old and shrub roses.

Positive Bug_Girl On Nov 9, 2002, Bug_Girl from San Francisco, CA wrote:

A very hardy Hybrid Tea. Flowers can be pink or yellow or pink/yellow.

Neutral lantana On Mar 28, 2001, lantana from (Zone 7a) wrote:

"This is the 'Peace' rose, which was christened by the Pacific Rose Society exhibition in Pasadena on the day Berlin fell. We hope the 'Peace' rose will influence men's thoughts for everlasting world Peace."
-Provided to forty nine delegations of the United Nations with a single bloom. 1945

Introduced in 1945 to commemorate the end of World War II.

A beautiful rose, it's color is pale yellow tinged with pink, reminding me of a sunrise. Wonderfully fragrant.

Height: 6' Tall, 3' Wide
Zones: 4-9. Hardy to 15 degrees.
A fast grower.