Floribunda Rose
Rosa 'Angel Face'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Angel Face
Additional cultivar information:(PP2792)
Hybridized by Swim-Weeks
Registered or introduced: 1968

Class:

Modern Climber

Shrub

Mauve and mauve blend (mb)

Bloom Shape:

Double

Flower Fragrance:

Very Fragrant

Habit:

Shrub

Can be trained as a standard or tree form

Patent expired

Other Details:

Shade-tolerant

Avoid chemical sprays

Stems are very thorny

Stems are moderately thorny

Stems are nearly thornless

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

By grafting

By budding

Tucson, Arizona

Cabot, Arkansas

Berkeley, California

Lakewood, California

Merced, California (2 reports)

Mission Viejo, California

Lewisville, Texas

Lubbock, Texas

Mcallen, Texas

Mission, Texas

Richmond, Texas (2 reports)

Shepherd, Texas

Olympia, Washington

Vancouver, Washington

negative

On May 5, 2014, AmyInNH from Brookline, NH wrote:

After extensive research on what are the most fragrant roses I picked up Angel Face. Exquisite scent. It was an annual at my house. But, at the time I didn't realize you were supposed to plant the union bud 8 inches below ground level in this area. I haven't tried it again. Yet.

On Jun 14, 2013, MorDor from New Rochelle, NY wrote:

Hi, we (my wife and I) garden in New Rochelle, NY, in a zone 7a sheltered area. We successfully grow some 60 roses - David Austin, Hybrid Tea, Floribunda, Grandiflora and climbers - both in soil and in pots. We absolutely love Angel Face but are now ready to say goodbye to out 3rd unsuccessful plant. They come home small but in good shape and in 2 or 3 years they are gone. They are very susceptible to black spot and, as others have reported, are completely naked by the end of the season or sooner. Loving this rose so much, 3 years ago we planted a climber version in the back (North-West exposure) in a large container together with New Dawn and 4th of July and a number of Clematis. They are all thriving and Angel Face has 15' canes that flower beautifully.

On May 12, 2012, Gascoigne from Shawnee Mission, KS (Zone 5a) wrote:

A neighbor friend of mine bought this for me to grow for her since growing roses scares her. I am not a fan on lavender or mauve, and on top of of that she got it on clearance at a bigbox store...so immediately i resisted taking it....another sick child to care for! In any case, i planted it inder the canopy of my large river birch and adjacent to my huge Allegheny Viburnum. I knew this was too shady of a spot, but at the time it was small and i had no where else to put it....well...that season, after planting it, it went crazy blooming. I wanted to hate the color...but the smell was amazing!!!!! Now i have a lot of roses in my garden, from Dave Austins to old English heirlooms....but, this one...the smell...is absolutely TOPS. It matches or exceeds my Autumn Sunset or my Abraham Darby in... read more

On May 9, 2012, themikesmom wrote:

This is the most fragrant rose I think I have ever smelled! and it is a prolific bloomer with such a wonderful unique lavender color!

On Jul 21, 2011, Daisy_a_Day from Brooklyn Center, MN wrote:

Today I purchased Angel Face because I am drawn to its color, shape and fragrance. The plant tag states is it good for -30 degrees, which is zone 4. Yet, this web site states it is zone 5 and does not list Minnesota in the grown sites. Home Depot sold the plant and it is their tag. I also notice Home Depot sometimes clips the tags which (inadvertantly?) removes the zone in the process. Will it survive MN winters?

On Jun 4, 2011, green76thumb from Radford, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

Beautiful blooms (dusty pink/mauve/lavender) and strong, fantastic fragrance!!

On Apr 4, 2009, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

Editor's Note

Plant Patent number 2792 has expired

On Sep 25, 2008, kdaustin from Austin, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

OK, This was my favorite rose as a child..and it still is.
Even though I spray it pretty regularly when we are having lots of overcast/humid weather. But. oh.. when it blooms.
Heaven.
Beautiful lavender flowers...lots of them too.
Fragrance? eh, theres better.
Color? Still an unusual clarity and shade of violet.
Trim it hard, it likes it when your mean, really. I trim mine to 6" tall in Feb and to 12" in Early August. Keeps it pretty, compact and blooming like mad for most of the year. Nice cut flower too.
Gets more lots of oohs and ahhs from visitors, which is nice.

On Aug 3, 2008, erdooley from Decatur, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is a beautiful rose and I have had no problems with blooms. However, compared to my other Floribundas, this one seems to get alot more black spot or other funguses, despite regular spraying. By the end of summer, almost all the leaves will have fallen off, but it will still be blooming. I still like it, esp. during the first part of the bloom season. It's an unusual color; just not very hardy where I live.

On Jun 8, 2008, annshaus from Central City, NE (Zone 5b) wrote:

Amazing tolerance for neglect in zone 5b. Withstands afternoon sun, and hot windy weather without showing any signs of stress.

Sprayed for black spot once in 4 years, recovered quickly and continues to produce lovely blooms and vigorous growth.

On Apr 2, 2008, goofybulb from El Paso, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

These would deserve the most positive review: wonderful lavender color, heavenly fragrance, multiple flowers and frequent blooming, beautiful shiny dark-green leaves, with reddish new growth.
However, since I've got it (about half a year ago, and sick at the time of purchase), it oscillates between healthy and blooming or extremely sick. I went through black spot, aphids, spider mites. In my hands and in my garden, it is obviously the weakest. Maybe the zone is not good enough for it, so if anybody wants to grow it here, be aware: it will require a lot of your attention!
But I love it dearly! I would fight for it at any price!

On Aug 26, 2007, lindakilgore10 from Dothan, AL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I made a trade for six rose's 4 weeks ago and one of them was the Angel Face. All of them had been cut back hard and no leafs when I got them.The Angel Face is the only one that has already bloomed ! Amazing.The Flowers are tiny but I am not sure if they will get larger or notTime will tell.

On Jun 26, 2006, Martha_Johnson from Lampasas, TX wrote:

I love my Angel Face Rose Tree!!!!!!! It was my very first experience with roses, and I have to admit that I almost killed it, but the very kind woman at the nursery where I bought it loved the tree and asked me to bring it back to the nursery so that she could bring it back to life: I did and she taught me about fertilizer and acid soil. That was three years ago and today the tree is so beautiful and blooms profusely with the biggest lavender blooms that always brings compliments. I'm very proud of my tree--I can't help but stare at it's beauty. I have it on my back deck in a huge pot that, thanks to my big-strong-loving husband, goes into the green house through the winter and back out on the deck each spring. I am blessed!

On May 14, 2006, DonnaA2Z from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I've just purchased this bush a short time ago. It seems to be a vigorous bloomer/grower. However, it does require spraying for black spot. I plan to propagate it. So far, I just can't take my eyes off it.

In the past, I only purchased hybrid tea bushes. This is a first of this variety for me.

On May 16, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is a lovely rose, but it gets pretty bad black spot in zone 5. It needs a lot of winter protection in my garden.

On May 5, 2005, hgurule from Summerville, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

Angel Face is probably the most wonderfully fragrant rose I have ever smelled. I have three of these bushes in my yard, and I can't wait to get more of them. They constantly put on blooms and do not have any problems whatsoever. The new growth is a spectacular deep red which adds color to the garden before it blooms. The flower petals are very ruffly, almost frilly...a romantic-looking rose. The scent does not fade as the flower fades. I even use the petals in my bathwater when they fall off the rose because they are still loaded with fragrance.

On Jun 6, 2004, jolie wrote:

My mother has had an Angel Face rose since 1970. I bought it for her because it was a beautiful, ruffly, fragrant apricot colored rose which grew to four feet. The metal name tag says its an AARS rose. I am surprised that the writers here say its color is mauve lavender. I have tried to propagate mom's rose but I haven't succeeded so far. Has anyone seen an apricot colored Angel Face?

On May 12, 2004, jjergins from Abilene, TX (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have the climbing version of Angel Face. It is resistant to the blackspot that plagues other roses in my garden. It has taken about three years to really start to put on growth.

On Sep 26, 2003, Emaewest from Timberlea, NS (Zone 6a) wrote:

I bought this rose because I loved the colour. I had never tried growing roses before as I always considered them too "fussy"--lots of spraying and feeding. This rose is not fussy! I fed it only occasionally (read: when I remembered!) all summer and never sprayed it. It's healthy and disease-free, and it has bloomed twice. I've since been told this is the ideal rose for "beginners". I agree.

On Oct 20, 2002, WAYNEB wrote:

It seems resistant to black spot and the new growth is a deep red. Mine was planted this spring. It's grown well and it now has about 18" of red new growth on it on Oct 20. But the part I like best is that the flowers do not fade to a paler color as they age. When the petals fall they are essentially the same color as the newly opened flower.

On Oct 19, 2002, CoyoteSpirit from Citrus Heights, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

It never seemed to do well even with a lot of care

On Jun 27, 2002, plantingfool wrote:

One of my favorite roses. Mom has had one for years. Pointed buds, 2 1/2" to 3" mauve blossoms with ruffled petals. New growth in spring is burgundy. Wonderful fragrance. My plant was put in dormant/bare root this spring at the same time as another plant. It was slower to grow, but the growth has appeared much healthier. It is only about 18" high and has nine buds in various stages of opening.

On Mar 28, 2001, lantana from (Zone 7a) wrote:

A beautiful mauve color. Very fragrant. AARS winner 1969. Hardy zones 5-9. Height 6' tall, 4' wide.