PlantFiles: Hosta
Hosta plantaginea 'Aphrodite'

Family: Liliaceae (lil-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hosta (HOSS-tuh) (Info)
Species: plantaginea (plan-tuh-JIN-ee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Aphrodite
Hybridized by China/Maekawa; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1940

Plant Size (check one):
Large (leaf 81-144 square inches; plant 18-28 tall)

Partial to Full Shade

Ovate
Broadly Ovate

Leaf Appearance:
Wavy

Degree to which the appearance is present:
Lightly

Thumbnail #4 of Hosta plantaginea by discojim

By discojim
Thumbnail #5 of Hosta plantaginea by discojim

Negative coriaceous On Feb 4, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

The plain species performs much better than this heavily promoted double-flowered cultivar. Around here (Boston MA Z6a) the flower buds rarely open properly. And I hear similar complaints from other gardeners in other parts of the country.

Neutral AlisonMargaret On Jun 9, 2012, AlisonMargaret from Ottawa

This plant used to flower for me, but in the last ten years, I've had no luck. I live in Ottawa, Ontario (US Z4/Can Z5a), and have no trouble growing it, in shade or sun. I do have, though, trouble getting it to flower for me. The stems come up quite late (August?), and then the buds wither. Given that that blooms are the best reason to grow this plant, this is very annoying!

Neutral igrozem On Sep 13, 2008, igrozem from Dublin, OH wrote:

This is a sun sensitive hosta. I have it where it receives mostly diffused and reflective lighting off of our white home. Late in the season it gets some tip burn even in this protected area. Also it is a thirsty hosta so it must be in a well drained but moist bed. If this plant didn't have such enormous and fragrant blooms, I probably wouldn't grow it because otherwise, it is pretty much plain-jane.

Neutral lmelling On Jan 8, 2005, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

'Aphrodite' was one of the first hosta I purchased when I started my garden. The information about the double blooms was enough to encourage me - plus being told that hosta was so easy to grow. Not knowing anything about gardening at that point I gave 'Aphrodite' a center spot below a birdbath where their was morning and evening sunlight but was shaded by the afternoon sun by pine trees. The plant did not only NOT thrive, it disappeared completely by the spring of it's third year. I'm not sure what happened to it but I know that other hosta are thriving near where this one was planted - could have been a poor specimen or my inability see it was in trouble. Now that I've been gardening a few years I may give this cultivar another try and see how it does - but I'll pick the spot more carefully.

Positive ckp On Jun 2, 2004, ckp from Cortland, NY wrote:

I comment only because my experience with growing Hosta 'Aphrodite' in the sun is very different from that recounted by one of your members who says that it "melted down" in the sun. I moved three of these hostas from my shade garden in the Syracuse, NY region last June to here in Delaware, where they stayed in plastic pots in the full sun for three months until I had completely settled and could get them into the ground. They were watered twice daily; the daytime temperature in Delaware was in the 90's for much of August, and in the 80's for much of September, with brilliant sun. Moreover, these hostas are located on the South side of a stone dwelling, near the foundation, which radiates heat. I was amazed last year, and am now again this year (today is June 2), at how robust and undamaged they are in the full sun. (It was over 90 for several days a week ago.) They are being watered about every third day if there is not an appreciable amount of rain. In addition to the Aphrodite hostas, I moved to here, and am having equal success in the same full-sun-all-day location with, the following other hostas: Great Expectations, Patriot, Francee, Frances Williams, Guacamole, Sweet Susan and Paul's Glory. Other gardeners have told me they do not understand why these hostas are all looking so absolutely terrific in such unrelenting sun, and I do not either. But I love it! (No slugs, either.)

Neutral Greenknee On Sep 10, 2003, Greenknee from Chantilly, VA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I found this hosta to be very sensitive to sun. New this year, a single eye division started to 'melt down' in early summer - exposed about 2/3 day, sheltered from afternoon sun. I moved it to a full shade nurse bed and it perked up. I find a lot of conflicting sun/shade recommendations for hostas.

Anniston, Alabama