Golden Thryallis, Gold Shower, Shower of Gold, Rain of Gold
Galphimia glauca

Family: Malpighiaceae
Genus: Galphimia (gal-FIM-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: glauca (GLAW-kuh) (Info)
Synonym:Thryallis glauca

Oldsmar, Florida

Pensacola, Florida

Pompano Beach, Florida

Sebring, Florida

Spring Hill, Florida (3 reports)

Summerfield, Florida

Fort Mill, South Carolina

Ladys Island, South Carolina

Okatie, South Carolina

Aransas Pass, Texas

Austin, Texas (3 reports)

Boerne, Texas

Cedar Park, Texas

Conroe, Texas

Georgetown, Texas (2 reports)

Liberty Hill, Texas

Rio Hondo, Texas

Schertz, Texas

Uvalde, Texas

Norfolk, Virginia

On Aug 10, 2013, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I bought a gallon plant 2 yrs ago and planted in partial sun, amended soil. The first year it seemed sluggish in growth and barely bloomed. However, this year, it has grown 1 ft in one season and is blooming quite well. I consider this an easy plant in my area. TX A&M has designated it as a TX Superstar.

On Jun 17, 2013, FERALAPIS from Pahoa
United States wrote:

Looking forward to trying this out in a shallow bed with organic matter and dirt mixed on top of lava gravel- on the Big Island, Hawaii. Should do well according to your comments, thanks!

On Nov 5, 2012, tankX from Palm Springs, CA wrote:

This is a lovely plant, it appears to like the desert, in a semi protected local.

I hope it thrives as it has a very attractive nature. Great leafs and stem color.

I have planted one and intend to plant two more, I think this might be a great desert addition in irrigated landscapes..

Can they take the low desert heat? I think it can. If it is supplied ample water.

On Mar 12, 2011, deegens from Georgetown, TX wrote:

The best thing about Thryallis, aside from how beautiful and carefree it is, is that the deer don't touch it!

On May 22, 2010, Darkman from Pensacola, FL wrote:

I live in Pensacola, FL (8b/9a )and acquired this plant in the spring of 2009 in a one gallon pot. I planted it in decent soil that had a fair amount of organic matter in it. It was mulched with three inches of Pine bark mulch and was watered regular like you would for any new planting. It eventually grew to about four foot tall and bloomed profusly all summer. Then came the winter of 09/10 and we set all kinds of records for freezing temperatures. The low at my house was 19.3F which defoiliated it and I thought killed it. We also had two weeks of sub freezing temps with many days barely getting above freezing. I left the plant and much to my surprise it began to put on new leaves from the lower part of the woody stems. It also started sending up new sprouts from the base of the plant. It ... read more

On Apr 19, 2010, debart from Fort Mill, SC wrote:

I assume I have the same plant. It is called Thryallis glauca. I live in zone7B but on the lake so I can usually grow 8As if I'm careful. The plant got real straggly in late fall so I cut it back to the ground and put a bale of pine straw on it. We had 8 degree weather this winter so I knew this plant was a goner. I dug it up about a month ago and put in a pot just to see and last week it started strouting leaves. I'm so excited. This shouldn't be happening in thsi area! I love this plant.

On Jul 19, 2009, flaflwrgrl from North Central , FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

HARDY! In one word. Great for xeri yards. Takes full sun, sandy soil & little water & still performs like a champ! If planted in partial shade it can tend to get leggy & will require pruning more often. Self sows. Here it is a 365 day bloomer.

On Mar 24, 2005, saltcedar from Austin, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

This plant isn't nearly as delicate as others make it sound. It tolerates alkaline clay, freezing for days at a time and lows to at least 18f (-8c). Has no insect or disease problems, grows quickly but stays full in sun to half-day shade. It's only real fault is brittleness.

On Aug 12, 2004, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

It should be mentioned that this is a very brittle plant. If planted alongside a walkway, it may be broken if bumped into. That doesn't change my positive opinion, because you just need to be aware of this when you place it in the landscape.

On Jul 15, 2004, denisse from Camuy, PR wrote:

Very hardy plant. Highly resistant to heat and dry conditions.
Prefers neutral to alkaline soils with high drainage. Easy to care for, requires minimum pruning to maintain height and width.

On Aug 20, 2003, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

San Antonio, TX
At garden centers, Thryallis glauca is sometimes labelled Yellow Plumbago (does not resemble a plumbago at all!) or Lluvia de Oro. This evergreen tropical shrub (native to the tropical regions pf Mexico to Guatemala) is a non-stop bloomer that provides bright splashes of color all through the year. A fast grower, it has bright green oblong leaves that are about 1to 2 inches long, They take on bronze tones during cooler periods. The beautiful bright yellow blossoms appear in late summer to fall. Some flowers can be expected at all times during warm temperatures. The almost glowing yellow flowers are about 3/4 inch in diameter and are held in clusters at the stem tips. Three part seed capsules emerge after the flowers fade.

It prefers full sun (becomin... read more

On Apr 2, 2001, ladygreenthumbs from Fredericksburg, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

A tropical plant that should be protected from freezing weather. Flowers appear on the new wood, so prune back in the early spring; enjoys a dose of fertilizer regularly. Flowers prolific yellow clusters on stalks - blooms all summer. Fast grower, and great summer flowerer.