Hindu Datura, Indian Apple, Jimson Weed, Sacred Datura, Thorn Apple

Datura inoxia

Genus: Datura (duh-TOO-ruh) (Info)
Species: inoxia (in-OKS-see-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Datura innoxia

Menifee, California

Morgan Hill, California

Palm Springs, California

Rosamond, California

San Diego, California (3 reports)

Mystic, Connecticut

Albertville, Minnesota

Fulda, Minnesota

Hopkins, Minnesota

Lake George, Minnesota

Minneapolis, Minnesota (2 reports)

Blue Springs, Missouri

Brownsville, Texas

Center, Texas

Copperas Cove, Texas

Corpus Christi, Texas

Fort Worth, Texas (3 reports)

Hereford, Texas

Hinton, West Virginia

Kansasville, Wisconsin

Racine, Wisconsin

On Jun 21, 2013, Dean48089 from Warren, MI (Zone 6b) wrote:

This plant is root-hardy here in Zone 6b. I love it!

People should note that Datura inoxia is NOT the common Jimsonweed (D. stramonium). Reading the negative comments makes me think that people have been confused by common names. I was at a nursery recently that had plants of D. inoxia labeled as "Moonflower (Ipomoea alba)." Well, yes, "Moonflower" is one of the common names for Datura inoxia, but it's also the common name for a morning glory relative.

I've never had a problem trimming off spent blooms to avoid seeds, and it only takes a few minutes. I worry that some people seeking "low maintenance" plants really want those plastic ones that some gas stations use.

On May 22, 2012, eden100 from Edinburg, IL (Zone 6a) wrote:

I got datura seeds in some leaf compost a few years ago so I never had to purchase seeds or seedlings. Right now (May 22nd) seedlings are about 6" tall HOWEVER...due to a very mild winter and an in increase from zone 5 to zone 6 in central Illinois the datura actually grew from last years tap root! I still have seedlings right now even though I tried my best last year to cut off all the seed pods before the seeds dropped. There is no doubt that some are growing from last years tap root. I dug one up two weeks ago to relocate it and discovered that I snapped a very long tap root. Last year I grew them in more than one location and found the same result. The ones growing from the tap root are already blooming (May 22nd) and the seedlings are only 6 inches. I know this page lists a higher zon... read more

On Sep 14, 2011, cinemike from CREZIERES
France (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have just grown my first one of these plant from a small packet of seeds incorrectly identified as D metel... PoppySue's comment about the spiked as opposed to smooth seed pods made me realise the error.

I love it and it is amazing to me how quickly it grows. Due to some poor cultural conditions (drought and too much sun for the seedlings), mine were still quite small by the end of June. But in July it grew from about 6" high an wide to a monster of 5' wide by nearly 3' tall...

Blooms are spectacular and the fragrance is exquisite. It is one of those plants where one realises that if you are within its normal range, it can probably be very invasive, but in more temperate climes, it is a lovely exotic plant that would lift any garden.

****** UP... read more

On Aug 11, 2009, SW_gardener from (Zone 6a) wrote:

One of these came up under a yew bush from some old soil I dumped there. It just opened it's first bloom tonight :) I think it would be nice planted in view from the house and not under a bush so you can enjoy the blooms at night without having to go outside.

On May 11, 2009, SREOKC from Oklahoma City, OK wrote:

I've had datura for 8 or 9 years, originally from a whole spiky seedpod shared by a friend, planted, and forgotten. It really is lovely and beautifully scented, but it is so agressive it crowds everything in its path. One morning last summer I cut 123 spent blossoms; I do not want it to seed, though I never get them all. They are perennial in my garden (7a), and digging the enormous roots is very difficult. I am trying to replace it but I've already had 7 blooms this spring in a bed I haven't gotten to, and it's tempting to keep it when not much else is blooming. Fortunately the volunteer sprouts are easy to recognize and pull up. More vigilant gardeners than I probably would get along fine with datura.

On Apr 20, 2009, joeswife from (Debra) Derby, KS (Zone 6a) wrote:

I have been growing this plant since I have moved into this town, it came with the house.. it is in the same location, for over 21 years now, and I grow some from seed in other parts of my yard where ever I want to see the beauty they show and the smell that is intoxicating, and I also use the pods for decoration with sraypaint.. I love this old classic plant, that I remember at my great grandmothers place beside the chicken coop. I always knew it to be called "moonflower"

On Aug 22, 2008, Vacula333 from Allentown, PA wrote:

I have aquired this plant from a local flower shop, I did some research on it and found that it could become a weed, since it is a non-native plant, I am not taking any chances that it will get away from my yard, I am taking the seed pods off the plant and burning them... One observation that I have made that makes this plant a problem when it grows wild, is that it is very thirsty.. it drinks alot of water and can have an attitude if it doesnt get enought water, meaning that if you dont water it, it will not produce any flowers and the leaves will start to change to an orange/yellow color...so for those who aquire this plant: DO NOT plant it in your yard or use as a landscape plant.. leave it in the pot...its a wonderful plant, but a resource hog!

On Jul 26, 2008, monsoonblooms from Oracle, AZ wrote:

This plant grows wild where I live, and it's a really lovely plant. It also varies from creamy white to very lightly tinged purple blooms. It pops up along roadsides and washes, and in disturbed areas, and it seems to appreciate a little neglect in the garden, and well-draining soil. Sphinx moths love this plant. Personally, I've never found the plant to be in the way, but pulling it up isn't too hard, since it doesn't seem to like being transplanted.

It does most of it's blooming in July, during the monsoon rain, and tapers off in the fall, September or October, and dies back.

The animals here avoid the it, apparently it's bitter and unpalatable, so I don't really worry about ingestion.

On Jul 9, 2008, BeccaS from Bloomingdale, IL wrote:

A very small Datura was given to me several years ago, and it has returned every summer since. It is extremely vigorous, and does try to be invasive ~ I sometimes find small Daturas in the middle of our lawn. We keep it confined to a small bed that is bordered by concrete, to keep it manageable, and in one spot. It comes up later in the summer, but grows quickly. It hasn't been a needy plant, and has been thriving in a dry, sunny position, in soil of low fertility. It blooms reliably and profusely in mid-to-late July, in the evenings. The flowers are very fragrant and last a very long time as cut flowers. I'm not sure how to seed this plant, and leave it to self-seed on its own each year. I wear gloves when I prune it, as I would sometimes experience some numbness of my hands afte... read more

On Jan 31, 2008, green_dragon from Trumbull, CT wrote:

Datura innoxia- I love plants like this.
The first time I grew this the scent nearly knocked me over. I noted that the flower opens like clockwork at about 7:30 PM and you can actually see it opening as you watch!
I think this plant is worth a try. Note it will drop its buds if moisture levels are low. Otherwise it is a robust easy to grow plant .

A note about this plant's negative ratings- or if one has concerns.
It seems the negative descriptions are referring to the wild Jimson Weed (Datura Stramonium) which does grow obnoxiously in the US and is quite nasty both as a weed and for its extreme toxic nature.
It is true that all Datura are very toxic but it also has a shamanistic history and it must be treated with respect. Datura Inoxia and Met... read more

On Sep 6, 2007, Hippediva from Los Angeles, CA wrote:

My daturas have finally germinated---they did take some time, but a little patience and gentle watering helped. I'm most excited to have these along with my brugmansias---devil and angel trumpets. As for all the negatives, remember this: there are no bad plants. There are only stupid people. I'm growing these in containers---my entire garden is a 2nd story porch awash in tropicals. Will follow-up with more as they grow and bloom. These seeds were bought locally---Renee's Botanicals. I planted about 20 seeds and I have 3 sprouts so far.

On Sep 2, 2007, Didyma wrote:

I came across this beautiful plant while walking my dog, and was able to collect a seed pod. At first it was identified as a brug, but with help from all of you at dave's garden now know it is a datura. The seed pod has opened... Am aware of the negatives, but am very positive I want this flower in my garden!

On Aug 18, 2007, YzOldOwl from Union Furnace, OH wrote:

I cannot believe anyone would purposely grow this toxic and malicious noxious weed! I am looking out the window at my pony's pasture which is full of the things! Wish I knew a safe way for me and the ponies to get rid of these stinking things!

On Aug 4, 2007, lsander153 from Pittsburgh, PA wrote:

We have about eight of these plants growing in a sunny area. They are striking in appearance, but invasive and very hard to get rid of. They definitely bloom at night, with the flowers withering and falling down the following day. Tonight we went out for dinner before evening twilight, and not a single flower was in bloom. We came back an hour later when it was fully dark, and there were about 20 large, newly blooming flowers! (NOTE: By 1:30 the next afternoon, every one of these flowers had wilted badly and was hanging down from the plant.) It is said that you can actually watch the blooms emerge in the evening, and I plan to try this soon.

I tried it, without success. I set up my camera and watched an incipient bloom for about two hours. Nothing moved. Sigh.

... read more

On Jun 1, 2007, zville123 from Zanesville, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

We grew several of these plants from seed last year. They were beautiful and smelled citrusy (to my nose) in the evening. They do tend to sprawl, so in the fall we had to dig them up as they were hanging over a walkway. We kept some of the seeds to try again next year and plant them in a more appropriate area. It was one of the few plants that the deer, groundhogs and rabbits didn't bother. When collecting the seeds from the pods, wait until they split open and wear gloves.

On May 30, 2007, shreety from Monterey, TN wrote:

A lady in Destin Flordia gave me the seed from this plant and it has been just great. I live in Crossville, Tn and the plant come back each year fron the root and then also from seed that fall onto the ground. Has a wonderful smell I truly think this is a great flower.

On Oct 3, 2006, turbosbabe96 from Ingleside, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant is lovely and does very well in my neck of the woods. I had an invasion of whiteflies late summer, but they seemed to deter from this one. I love the fragrant and beautiful flowers. I didnt kjnow what it was for a long time. When I bought it the lady told me it was a moon vine. I knew it didnt look like any of the pix I had seen on here. I searched high and low and finally found it! I love my Sacred Datura!

On Jul 31, 2006, Fernis from Woodstock, GA wrote:

The plant is relatively harmless as long as you don't ingest it in any form. The lethal, toxic effect, that most of the people have described in earlier posts, occurs when a person is exposed to a lethal dose. The plant's chemicals responsible for the adverse effects on the human body vary greatly in concentration from flower to flower and leaf to leaf. This variability has lead to deaths and severe illness in 'trip-seekers.' There is no "safe" amount of plant matter that will induce pleasant hallucinations as many young, adventurous folk have found out the hard way. The plant is valued for both its appearance and fragrance and is relatively harmless as long as people understand both its positive and negative properties.

On Jul 16, 2006, vetaflame from San Diego, CA wrote:

This plant popped up in a hot, rocky, sandy spot in my San Diego garden this spring. I've seen seedlings in my yard before but always pulled them out. This time, I let the seedling go to see what would develop. What a shock! Within a few weeks, I had a three-foot shrub with tons of gorgeous white flowers. I've tried to grow Brugmansia several times, with limited success, so I was very surprised to see this close relative sprout up all by itself and thrive with no help from me.

On May 16, 2005, darylmitchell from Saskatoon, SK (Zone 3a) wrote:

I grew two daturas as annuals last summer in a southern exposure. One was in a container and did quite nicely, despite being severely infested with aphids. The other started out in a container and appeared to die back, so I transplanted it into the ground... then it took off like a rocket and grew to almost three feet tall. They both perished during the first hard frost in October, before their seed pods matured. Even though I didn't get any seed for the next year, they were lovely and undemanding.

On Sep 23, 2004, cjbinsd from Pickstown, SD wrote:

To my surprise I found this plant growing in my back yard. I live in a remote area of South Dakota and had no idea what it was but I know it was from the nightshade family. I enjoy the beautifull smell and look of the flower. How it got here in South Dakota is a mistory but I have seen it other places here in SD now that I know what it is.

The plant is atleast 4ft tall and has bloomed over and over. I love it.

On Sep 15, 2004, SnowBird56 from Irving, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I had just posted this plant for identification so now I know what it is. There are so many different variety's of it but the leafs on some I have seen were different than mine, but this one is exactly the same.
I was given a few small plants from a friend and they grew so large so fast I have them planted all over especially around my pond.
But I have found several articles that they are very poisonous and kids were eating the plant to get high, but I just love to see them bloom in the evening and early morning. I did bring in a couple blooms and placed in water and they lasted a couple days.

Thanks for the Identification

On Sep 8, 2004, cbellyb from Rossville, GA wrote:

I had seeds given to me 2 years ago but never had the chance to plant them untill this past spring. I planted two 6 inch pots with 4 seeds each. All 8 seeds germinated within a week. I planted each pot about 2 feet apart in my sunny front yard flower garden.

These plants now cover a 6x6 foot area and are about 4 feet tall with no extra support. The large white upright blooms now mingle with my maroon zinnias and purple butterfly bush and they stay open untill about noon or later on cloudy days. Most nights I have 15 to 20 flowers open with the total for one night being 44. The plants are illuminated at night by a street llght.

I deadhead at least every 3rd day leaving only 2 seed pods to develope at a time, which I watch and harvest just as the pod begins to s... read more

On Aug 26, 2004, Thorned from Young Harris, GA wrote:

Living in extreme northern Georgia, this plant is nothing but a weed. A very pretty one but still a weed. Due to the cattle numbers, high number of children, and curious outdoor canines and felines this plant is usually removed as soon as it's found. I do however have one that I keep in a window in the "potting" room of my house. With the growlight and the outside natural light, it usually does ok. This room is however the hottest and sunniest room in my home so that could be the only reason it survives indoors. Blooms are very gorgeous but I have yet to smell it. Too many chemicals in the room with it I guess. No one here has been unlucky enough to try the seeds to get high but I do know that it happens across the country and did happen alot in the 60s and 70s. Don't try it....it... read more

On Jul 27, 2004, TurquoiseSpider from San Diego, CA wrote:

I have no idea why I have become so fascinated by this plant. I suppose it could be that she has been growing around me all my life and I never realized how magical and powerful she is. I picked my first flower last night....never bloomed...I think I killed it. It DOES smell a lot like peanut butter. I saw purpleish veins running up through the base of the flower budd....very alien and exotic. It LOOKS very poisonous.

On Mar 8, 2004, indianmoon wrote:

in india,this plant,known as datura,has a lot of religious significance and is used in worship of lord shiva.it is known as a very poisonous plant from tip to root and hence termed as a weed.in india,it grows in any soil condition and has been observed to be very sturdy.though the local population keeps away from this plant knowing its poisonous tendency and keep their cattles ands goats away.

On Nov 29, 2003, MOONFLWR wrote:

I have grown it as a hedge IN East Troy Wi. ( southern Wis.) zip 53120. It grew about 4 1/2 ft. tall and very dense, as I used generous amount of seeds. It will seed itself each year after it is once established in full sun. It stopped traffic along a busy Hwy. as the hedge went all across the front of a farm propert.
I also am growing it now in Windsor Va. where I now reside. IT also is planted as a hedge outlining the front yard but didnt grow as tall as it did in Wis. maybe 3 ft. high. BLooms late afternoon and all night till about 10 am . then flowers close or die and new ones will appear about 6 pm . You can almost watch as they open up in the evening. a Gorgeous flower about 7 in. long and resembles an Easter lily. Very fragrant.You will love the site of these beautif... read more

On Oct 18, 2003, VickiGaudreau from Heath, OH wrote:

The flowers are pretty but, to me, that's the only thing pretty about this plant. I'm in Howell, NJ (central) & it's nothing but a noxious, invasive weed here. I have horses so I don't want it in my paddocks & fields. They won't usually touch it but every once in awhile, one will decide to taste, then I have to worry about colic (potentially fatal in horses). I pull it every year (ew, what a nasty stink!) but it's impossible to get rid of. The pods produce too many seeds. I have very poor soil here, primarily sand, & they do VERY well in it.

Anyone who would like to, can come here & take as many they want. It amazes me that anyone would plant & grow them intentionally. But then, I'm sure I have plants someone else would consider weeds.

Every couple/few years,... read more

On Oct 2, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

I was given several small plants while I was establishing my garden in St. Petersburg, Florida, zone 9b. I put them in the front of my "tropical bed," with bananas, papayas, cannas, zebra plants, and gingers. In one summer my plants grew to about four or five feet tall, and I was very pleased with their beautiful white blooms out by the street.

One afternnon I was talking with my neighbor across the street who had a large "picture window" that looked out into my yard, and she commented how strange it was that some teenagers were always stopping and picking my beautiful white "trumpet flowers." I got pretty mad at the nerve of these kids, stealing my beautiful flowers, until my own teenaged son (at the time) told me that the kids were stealing the flowers hoping to "get hi... read more

On Oct 2, 2003, Maudie from Harvest, AL wrote:

These plants really put on a show with huge trumpets that are a joy to behold. However, if the tap root is broken in the process of moving them from one location to another do not expect any blooms.
Otherwise they are easy to grow in almost any situation with very little care.

On Oct 1, 2003, Cabin_Jim from Hammonton, NJ wrote:

I recently found this growing outside a local elementary school. Keep your eyes open to this danger as children may ingest this highly poisonous plant.

Several years ago, area teens were eating these for the hallucinogenic effect. It's a poisonous plant - not a wise choice! Our local news did a story on its effects, showing police video footage of teens in lock-up freaking out. STUPID!

On Aug 21, 2003, crystalntytan wrote:

We just moved into a duplex back in May. We planted a few things in our garden but the soil was bad and it was too dry so nothing came up. I hadn't weeded or watered the garden in quite some time when I noticed something that I thought was a weed. I was going to pull it when one morning I discovered there was quite a few of them and they had gorgeous flowers on them. I had no clue what they were until now!

On Aug 9, 2003, kountrykitten from Leander, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is my first experience with this beautiful flower. My sister gave me a bunch of seeds from hers, I planted them in May and August they had blossoms. My sisters are white with a trim of purple mine were just plain white ones. I have tons of plants and they grow really well against my fence.

On Jul 26, 2003, wanda0810 from Ashville, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

Datura metel (Jimpson Weed) drops seeds in the fall in my Zone 5 area and comes back every year; a white "Angel's Trumpet" does the same. We had a really hard winter last year but they both came back this spring better than ever. I saved some seed from both but the ones that came up on their own are much bigger than the ones I started from seed.

On May 29, 2003, MJHINCHLIFFE from Fort Worth, TX wrote:

I have been growing this plant in Fort Worth, Texas (U.S.) for about 10-15 years. I got my start from my Mother, who lived in Irving, Texas.

I love the plant, it is very beautiful - smells a little like peanut butter. It is difficult to transplant and some insects like to eat the small seedlings right off at the ground. The plant is a biennial here, growing very fast and blooming quickly. The first winter freeze kills the plant to the ground, but it sprouts back from the roots the second year and it completely dies the second winter freeze, thus it is a biennial, dying every two years. I pinch off the faded blooms, a blooom only lasts one day, so that it will keep blooming and not go to seed right away. It reseeds itself, from the seeds dropping on the ground, but seeds ... read more

Editor's Note: "Angel's Trumpet" is most commonly used in conjunction with a related genus, Brugmansia spp.

On Apr 20, 2003, Stonebec from Fort Worth, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

My plant looks like this but I was told it was Datura Wrightii - also called JImson Weed. It's leaves do not meet equally on stem. Beuatiful and fragrant blooms at night about 4 inches across and 6 inches deep. Blooms wilt as soon as the sun hits them and then they smell like dirty sneakers. I have mine in as much shade as possible and they hold their bloom until about noon. Each branch splits to grow 2 more, each with a bloom spike. It can get very big, very fast. Mine dies to ground every winter but comes back every spring. Grows easily from seed, whether you want it to or not.

On Apr 10, 2003, tnttoo wrote:

Actually got this plant from a cutting. I have kept the seeds in a bag over winter and planted in a pot and they have sprouted. I live in zone 8 and planted my first one in the ground. It died back in winter and has come back the past two years. BUT has not gotten a big as it did the first year. This is the first season I have started the seedlings early enough to see how big they get. People down here were actually trying to tell me they were brugmansia's---glad to see I was right-LOL!

On Feb 1, 2003, mainfrog from Northridge, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Most common of the daturas and grows easily in the wild. I got started on daturas from small plants gathered growing near its parent shrub. Pure white during warm weather, spring through fall, takes on a faint purple edging in the cool early winter (in California). Prolific bloomer. Will sprawl if allowed, but cut back and keep compact and in check.

On Dec 19, 2002, Chamma from Tennille, GA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Can be invasive...I think i have given seeds and seedlings to everyone I know including all the nurseries in Dubai! The flowers open at night and are eye-catching as well as very fragrant. They require alot of water. During the summer months I have to water 2-3 times a day. WE do have extreme temperatures here in Dubai United Arab Emirates however. It is a very easy plant to grow otherwise!

On Sep 14, 2002, azpunk wrote:

This is one of my favorite Sonoran Desert plants. It is native to zone 8 in southern Arizona, where it dies back every winter and does not return until the following summer rain season. I have never seen the purple flowering form in the wild, so I assume that it is a cultivated form.

On Aug 23, 2002, Evert from Helsinki
Finland (Zone 4b) wrote:

Nice white flowered Datura species. Flowers are fairly big and have a strong, good scent. Easy to grow from seeds.

On Jul 30, 2002, mrszizz wrote:

I received the spiney seed ball from my grandmother in late Fall, threw it in with my gardening equipment in my shed and thought nothing of it until Spring. I originally planted many seeds in a container, then transplanted 6-6" plants into beds. This is their 3rd season coming up as perennials. The root system is very large. I have had trouble extracting it all one year when I decided to move it to a larger area. It does tend to take over in confined spaces, so give it lots of room to spread. I cut them down in late fall after the first heavy frost. I get such enjoyment from the plethera of blooms. I actually average 10-12 blooms an evening. The white blossoms glisten in the moonlight. If you are planting them, place them somewhere where they can be enjoyed each evening then sit ... read more

On Jul 26, 2002, debbieh wrote:

This is a beautiful plant when it finally blooms. The blooms come late in the evening (7:00 pm) and stay until about 11:00 am the next morning. Usually 2-3 blooms per day per plant. I actually stood and watched them open. It was spectacular. Any flower loving person should grow a moon vine. It is well worth your time and trouble. The blooming process will last for a couple of weeks.

On Jul 18, 2002, KellyK from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

I have a vibrant, healthy specimen of this plant in my backyard that I started from seeds, but I'm considering removing it because I recently discovered that it is highly toxic and I have 3 dogs! Here in zone 11 this plant (Sacred Datura, Jimson Weed, Jamestown Weed, Loco Weed, Thornapple, Datura Metaloides, etc...) blooms just about year round - but the flowers open only at night during the summer months and only during the day time during the winter months. It attracts many moths and june bugs. It is a delight to watch the june bugs rolling around inside the blooms. My specimen has at times grown as large as about 6 feet high and about 5 feet in diameter - I have to cut it back often to keep it from taking over!

On Jul 14, 2002, Therios from Aloha, OR (Zone 8a) wrote:

Here in Portland Oregon, much grows! I have two plant growing right now. One is in a sunny part of our garden and one is in a 12" pot on the back deck.

There is an obvious size difference in the two; by about 50% right now. The flowers are just beginning to open but we have not had the opportunity to witness the opening nor the fragrance.

I am rather impressed with the now 3' tall plant that has at least 6 buds just about ready to open.

Now that the nights here are quite warm, we can easily discern the daily growth of both plants. We are looking forward to figuring just how to take care of them.

On Aug 17, 2001, chazparas from Haverhill, MA (Zone 6b) wrote:

The White Angel's Trumpet here in Zone 6b northern New Jersey has acted as a perennial for the past 3 years. The seed that I had harvested from plants in Brooklyn New York were kept in a refrigerater over a winter, planted in the spring and did not germinate until the following year! I thought I had lost them. They have since come up from the rootstock reliably for 2 years since the initial germination. Bloom starts the last week of July and continues until cut down by frost. Seeds harvested have sprouted reliably when planted directly into the garden,with out the same long germination period. They sprout when the soil warms, growth is slow until the nights are warm. One plant with 2 or three flowers will perfume a garden in the evening. I have planted mine on the north east side of the ... read more

On Apr 9, 2001, MsBatt from Florence, AL (Zone 7a) wrote:

This plant has 3 to 4-inch long trumpet-shaped, upwardly-raised flowers, most usually white but occassionally yellow or purple. The height is variable, as it tends to bend under its own weight, but if staked can reach five to six feet in a season. It may be also sold under the name D. meteloides or D. wrightii, and there are double varieties available. There are several species of datura, and some recent hybrids. These are often confused with Brugmansia, which is also commonly called 'Angel's Trumpet', and with better cause. Datura has also been called 'Devil"s Trumpet' since the flowers face upward toward Heaven, rather than downward from Heaven. The white-flowered variety has been reliably root-hardy for me in Zone 7.ALL PARTS ARE TOXIC.