PlantFiles: Tall Bearded Iris
Iris 'Rain Check'

Family: Iridaceae (eye-rid-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Iris (EYE-ris) (Info)
Cultivar: Rain Check
Hybridized by Stahly; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1993

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Class:
Tall Bearded (TB)

Light Blue

Midseason (M)

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

Awards (if applicable):

By laurief
Thumbnail #1 of Iris  by laurief

Positive laurief On Oct 20, 2003, laurief from Deer River, MN (Zone 3b) wrote:

Very few tall beardeds (TBs) can survive my growing conditions. This northern MN zone 3b climate inflicts severe, extended cold during the winter months, often with little snow cover for insulation. Summer temps can exceed 90 degrees F. My soil is very heavy, compacted clay with a slightly acid pH. A large local deer population frequently tramples and sometimes grazes on my irises in early spring and late fall. Iris borers are present but managed successfully with a granular systemic grub control product. Weeds are abundant and only occasionally beaten back by an admittedly lazy gardener (yours truly). Fertilization is inconsistent, when provided at all. Most TBs here are growing with less than 6 hrs of sun per day, so growth and bloom are not what they could be under full sun conditions. I have lost hundreds of weaker TB cultivars over the years, so the few that have managed to survive are worthy of high praise.

After several years of strong survival and reliable bloom in my garden, RAIN CHECK disappeared this year. I have no doubt it would still be growing and blooming happily if I had renovated my beds last year as I should have. The beds had become compacted into near concrete by the time I reworked them this summer.

RC's blooms are quite lovely, though a bit smaller than many other modern TBs. The stalks have unfortunately close, tight branching here which tends to crowd the flowers, but they still make a nice show in the garden. For a hardy, disease-resistant cultivar with reliable bloom, I highly recommend this cultivar. RC is one of those rare TBs which I will replace.

Laurie