PlantFiles: Pink Knotweed
Persicaria capitata

Family: Polygonaceae
Genus: Persicaria (per-sih-KAR-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: capitata (kap-ih-TAY-tuh) (Info)

Synonym:Polygonum capitatum

Thumbnail #6 of Persicaria capitata by ginger749

By ginger749
Thumbnail #7 of Persicaria capitata by ginger749

Neutral bariolio On May 21, 2013, bariolio from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I got a cutting of this cute little plant from another DG member. Having read the prior reviews, I thought I'd be smart and plant in a pot. It really thrived here in Houston and bloomed loads of little pink balls, with the stems trailing over the side of the pot. THEN, I noticed TONS of tiny new plants coming up everywhere! I'm writing this just to add another caution. If you have a large space that needs filling, this is a pretty plant to do the job. If you don't want it to grow EVERYWHERE in your garden, you might not want to plant it!

Positive henryetta69 On Nov 3, 2012, henryetta69 from Wichita, KS wrote:

I am thrilled with this plant. It is not invasive here in Central Ks. It is like an annual. Starts growing in spring and at the first frost its gone.

Positive herbymom On Jan 9, 2010, herbymom from Long Beach, CA wrote:

I garden in Long Beach, California and saw this plant growing on a neighbor's parkway. It was beautiful the way it trailed over the curb. I found it at the local nursery under the simple name of pink clover. I've also seen it as polygonum-pink clover. I planted it on the corners of my parkway last June. the center of the strip is planted with thymes and sedums with some small bellflowers here and there. It's beautiful! Here it is January and that pink clover is still perky as ever. Yes it spreads and seeds but not nearly as quickly as some plants. It's very easy to yank out of areas where you don't want it. I'd much rather spend my time pulling out extra plants rather than coaxing finicky plants.

Negative ejanelli On Apr 22, 2009, ejanelli from San Francisco, CA wrote:

In a benign climate like ours, this plant is so invasive it will choke out almost anything, and it will not respect any form of boundary because the tiny seeds spread everywhere. I suppose if your purpose were to cover an old asphalt roadway that you didn't want to tear up you could plant a few seeds in the cracks and let this take care of it. It is not easy to get rid of because of the profuse seeding. BEWARE!

P.S.The plant is also identified as Polygonum capitatum by the USDA.

Neutral macybee On Jul 4, 2007, macybee from Deer Park, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

In Deer Park, Tx
This is a perennial groundcover. My girlfriend in same neighborhood has it all over her yard. I'm having a hard time even rooting it. (It's going to work this time)
I think it is very pretty.

Neutral jcangemi On May 16, 2006, jcangemi from Clovis, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I always thought it was pretty, when in other people's landscape. Though uninvited, it self-seeded from flower beds some100 yards or so away and it has now taken over 3 of my large flower beds and I'm AGGRESSIVELY removing it. It has choked out all other plants including Stachys byzantina or Lamb's Ear, a once beautiful creeping wooly thyme, many beautiful clumps of Cerastium tomentosum 'Snow in Summer', a gorgeous sedum ground cover and my annuals are unable to reseed, i.e. lobelia, which readily self-sows. I still think it is pretty and in the right place, a good filler, but I don't have that kind of spot. Be careful w/this one.

Positive Joy On Apr 16, 2006, Joy from Kalama, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

One of my plant books also gives this the common name of 'Pink bubbles' I've also heard it called 'Pink buttons'.
It makes a nice and interesting ground cover. The more sun it gets the deeper the color on both the foliage and the small button like flowers. And it's pretty drought tolerant.
Here in my zone 8b garden in the Pacific Northwest it dies back completely in the winter and comes back each spring. I'm not having the the same problem with it being so invasive as others are having. Maybe the fact that it goes completely dormant here keeps it from being too aggressive?

Negative jkom51 On Aug 8, 2003, jkom51 from Oakland, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This plant competes on equal footing with oxalis as being aggressive to the point of invasive. In a frost-free zone I would be very careful where this plant is sited. It will literally travel hundreds of feet and pop up where it is least expected, which is not necessarily a virtue! It is very pretty in flower, however, and pulls up fairly easily. Apparently pest-free as well.

Neutral Weezingreens On Sep 5, 2002, Weezingreens from Seward, AK (Zone 3b) wrote:

Pink Knotweed self seeds readily where climate permits (zones 8-9). Native to China and the Himalayas, this plant is a member of the buckwheat or dock family. Its foliage is evergreen in milder climates.

Neutral Zanymuse On Apr 20, 2001, Zanymuse from Scotia, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Very vigorous vining ground cover. Can be invasive. Leaves are deep green with burgandy chevrons. Stems are reddish and the flowers are tiny pink balls.

Albany, California