Floribunda Rose, Climbing Rose
Rosa 'Joseph's Coat'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Joseph's Coat
Additional cultivar information:(PP2488)
Hybridized by Armstrong-Swim
Registered or introduced: 1964

Class:

Cluster-flowered (incl. Floribunda & Grandiflora)

Modern Climber

Yellow blend (yb)

Apricot and apricot blend (ab)

Orange and orange blend (ob)

Deep pink (dp)

Susceptible to black spot

Prone to weak stems

Stems are very thorny

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Oak View, California

Phelan, California

Quartz Hill, California

Redding, California

San Diego, California (2 reports)

Santa Rosa, California

Harlem, Georgia

Kailua, Hawaii

Boise, Idaho

Belleville, Illinois

Chicago, Illinois (2 reports)

Hampton, Illinois

Grenada, Mississippi

Las Vegas, Nevada

Auburn, New Hampshire

Wyckoff, New Jersey

Albuquerque, New Mexico (2 reports)

Roswell, New Mexico

Port Townsend, Washington

Redmond, Washington

Falling Waters, West Virginia

On Apr 8, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

Here on the east coast of N. America (Boston 6a) this is a martyr to black spot. I tried to maintain this in an organic garden, where it was a few thorny sticks that were mostly leafless and flowerless, and eventually lifeless. Don't even think about planting this in a humid climate unless you're prepared to spray toxic fungicides weekly---that's what most of the people writing comments here do.

I think this is so commonly grown only because its so commonly promoted by mass marketers, and because the flowers look so good in photos.

If you want an orange blend climber in a humid area, 'Westerland' is beautiful, hardy, fragrant, and healthy.

On Apr 7, 2015, brandoncakes from Kailua, HI wrote:

NOTE: I live in Hawaii where it's warm year-round.

I planted this rose as a bareroot from Regan Nursery in February 2015. It's only April (2 months), and out of all the other roses I bought (Eden, Pretty In Pink Eden, 2 Americas, Portlandia, Crown Princess Margareta, & Abraham Darby) it grew the fastest. Four canes sprouted and grew 2 feet tall with 4 blooms at the end. I tried to bend the canes to see if it will "trick" the canes into thinking it's a main cane so it wont bud, but it budded and bloomed anyway. I'm trying to get the canes to reach at least 6 feet, but they all end with flowers. The flowers are beautiful, beginning with red buds, opening to red & yellow, then fading into a shrimp pink, then turning blazing red. It only has about 15-20 petals, so if yo... read more

On Jul 8, 2013, AmiraJ from Killeen, TX wrote:

I planted this bush in November 2012 in a raised bed and since planting it's reached about 6' on my trellis and has thus far been more black spot resistant than my lavender lassie bush. I just left the roses to their own devices (no water/rain) for 9 days in 100 degree temperatures and the Joseph's Coat got larger and bloomed. This rose is awesome for hot climates, (we're in Central Texas).

On May 19, 2013, SinfulFlames from Londonderry, OH wrote:

I've had this rose for two years and in both it bloomed beautifully. Very fragrant and the color changes from sunlight exposure are stunning. Sadly after the two years a terrible wind storm came through the area, the rose was broken at base. I didn't think of digging up the remaining root system because I figured it would have died. A couple weeks ago after almost a year and a half of the rose being destroyed four new shoots have re-grown. I can't believe it and am so exited to see them growing again!

On Mar 8, 2013, checkerdchicken from Chantilly, VA wrote:

I bought two of these in the spring of 2010 and decided to train them along the side of the staircase leading up to the front door of my townhome, on the west side. They planted at about 18 inches tall, and were several feet by fall. In 2011, they grew well over my trellises, and in 2012, some canes easily reached the top of the bannister at the upper landing of the staircase. They are obviously trying to reach the longer days of sunlight... mine grow heavy at the top where they are exposed to sun all day (the parts at the bottom on the western facade of my staircase only get afternoon sun).

I can confirm everything that's been posted elsewhere. These roses have outstanding curb appeal, even in winter with the deep green, glossy, abudant foliage. Yes, people are astounded b... read more

On May 21, 2012, TristensOma from Edmond, OK wrote:

We have had trouble finding this rose for sale. Maybe due to some of the problems a few people have mentioned??

For the person who's Joseph's Coat was broken down to ground level and it grew back bright red - I can only assume that it was NOT an "Own Root" rose. Many roses are grafted onto sturdier root stock and will revert in these circumstances.

Even with the problems mentioned, we still want to give it a try.

On Apr 5, 2012, VickieB1 from MAYLENE, AL wrote:

I had this rose for years and loved it. It's a very abundant bloomer and has gorgeous blooms. It got broken down to the ground and sprouted from the roots. When this plant got big enough to bloom, the blooms were blood red and not the colors of the joseph's coat. Can anyone tell me what happened?

On Jun 4, 2011, green76thumb from Radford, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

This plant is a bit challenging, but worth it for the gorgeous blooms.

I had to move it from a spot where it wasn't getting enough sun--to where it now is, in partial sun. I (unwisely) transplanted it in the heat of summer. It took about 2 years to really get its roots established (during which time I had to baby it with frequent watering, trimming off blackspot affected leaves, and fertilizing.

After 2 years of this, and very little above-ground growth, I wasn't expecting much, but this spring I was amazed!! It was just covered with a multitude of beautiful blossoms and its growth has really taken off!

As far as training it, this is not a variety that can simply be woven in and out of a fence. The stems are stout, very thorny, and even t... read more

On Apr 7, 2011, GreeneLady from Oak Island, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

Joseph's Coat is my favorite climbing rose due to the range of colors. However-for those colors I fight black spot constantly, never quite winning the battle. And the thorns, Lord God Almighty, they are thorns of the devil. The leaves on this plant are quite light green, more so than most roses.And if you prune it more than just removing the spent flowers, it stubbornly refuses to rebloom for a year. Knowing this,I would not recommend this rose bush for beginners. If you love Josephs's coat for the unique colors and you are a beginner rosarian, give Rio Samba a shot. You get the same colors, and you don't need a trellis for Rio Samba.

On Jun 1, 2010, HolyChickin from Fort Lauderdale, FL wrote:

This is my first climber and BOY AM I HOOKED!!

I love all the different colors all on the same bush! How does it DO THAT?!?!

I was a little worried because the leaves seem to be a little lighter than my hybrid teas but, after speaking with a friend, it seems to be normal. Well, I hope.

I got it two months or so ago as a bare root. After several weeks, it, bloomed like crazy... I just cut off the last spent bloom and I am already seeing some more buds. Now I live in S. Florida, it's humid, of course right now we are in the thick of the rainy season, and it's hotter than Mercury (it's perpetual Summer around here)! This climber is still popping out blooms and isn't showing any signs of slowing down.

I have been doing disease con... read more

On May 18, 2010, therica from Falling Waters, WV (Zone 7a) wrote:

Spectacular grower, prolific producer of flowers all season long. We bought 2 of these from directgardening.com (which I DO NOT recommend!) in 2004 and planted them.

One is on the end of a 3 foot by 8 foot concrete pad which forms the central point of an arched garden around it. It quickly became a nice bush, nothing to climb on after post-hurricane winds blew through and destroyed our rose arbor. It's continued to fan out nicely and always gets comments.

The other was planted out by a pasture gate in basically poor clay soil, watered a few times the first year and basically forgotten and ill-cared for. It's actually bigger than the one in the arch garden! It also has a 4-foot high farm fence to climb but it mostly shrubs out and looks gorgeous.

On Mar 18, 2010, Katherine_in_CA from Redding, CA wrote:

I have seen my St. Joseph's Coat grow up to 15' tall, up the gutter pipe to the roof-line, and it just kept on going! Impressive specimen. Gorgeous blooms, very mind scent. Continuously blooms, colors may change or fade in a single day. All of my roses benefit from my horse's composted manure - I've noticed that the flower's smell become a little more pungent when you use a nice, soft, rich horse or cattle manure (but avoid nitrogen burn - make sure it's composted). It is "that rose" that everyone comments on, people are amazed that such a variety of color exists on one single plant.

On Nov 14, 2009, Zamudio from Spring Valley, CA wrote:

I grew this rose for many years when I lived in Alabama. If pruned correctly (prune each stem down to first set of leaves below expired flower) it will bloom abundantly, grow rapidly and hold it's leaves from spring to fall. I used miracle grow a few times a week and sprayed it with soapy water now and then to deter insects. It had full son all day long. Prune to six inches and mulch heavily in winter.
Joseph's Coat is so beautiful that strangers would stop to ask what kind of rose it was. If you're an attentive pruner this rose will surpass all your expectations. I think many of the problems people mention about legginess and loss of leaves may be due to poor pruning and fertilizing.

On Apr 10, 2009, Zone6aPA from Central, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

This was a healthy and vigorous rose until it reached mature height (around 12' in 3 years) and then began to die. After nursing it for several years I gave up and removed it. It was stunning while it was thriving.

On Apr 6, 2009, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

Editor's Note

Plant Patent number 2488 has expired

On Jul 6, 2008, Loess01 from Atalissa, IA wrote:

I just put in one of these roses this spring. We have had record-setting rainfall this year, but still no black spot to be found on this plant. I did make sure to plant it where it would get good air circulation and not be crowded by anything else.

It has bloomed beautifully since the second week of June. It is loaded with blossoms, and I can't say enough about how beautiful those flowers are. Everyone loves them!

Even though we've had several severe storms with a lot of wind, I have not experienced any problems with fragile canes. I think it's probably best to tie them to the trellis or support while they are still quite young and bend easier. Beware of those thorns, though! Mine has some thorns that are almost an inch long.

This is one... read more

On Jun 10, 2008, bethanski from Rochester, NY wrote:

I planted this rose earlier in the year as a bare-root plant, and it is already around 4 1/2 feet high with plenty of buds and leaves. It has been prone to blackspot, as others have noted, but I fell in love with this rose years ago on a vacation in Ireland and am more than willing to treat the blackspot in exchange for the many colors that are to come.

On Jun 11, 2007, Jam1112 from Kansas City, MO wrote:

I planted two Josephs coats. The first two weeks it bloomed like crazy. I applied some rose food as directed and in a week it quit blooming and has not bloomed since. Could I have done something wrong? Is this a norm for this rose?
does anyone have any ideals how to get the bloming restarted?

I love these roses and would hate to have to replace them and start over with another type of climber.

Any help would great, James in Missouri

On Jun 25, 2006, keyi from Yukon, OK (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is by far, my favorite rose. It produces masses of multicolored blooms in the spring, slows down during the heat of summer, then comes back with an even more stunning show in early fall. In my garden, it loses most of it's leaves in the summer so looks pretty yuck, but the bloom show makes up for it, and I am starting a clematis at it's base to make up for the lack of summer leaves.

On Jun 7, 2006, pforrester from Fallbrook, CA wrote:

I have had 30+ of these roses for nearly 20 years. They line our long curving driveway. All I have to do is feed and prune them. They might do even better but I have raised seven children and did not have time to fuss with them and they have been great. We had a cool damp spring here in southern California and they looked awful after the first new growth, well it might have had something to do with all the poppy's coming up in their beds. Anyway the competition with the poppys was not good for them. I tried that Bayers 3 in 1 for the first time because they did not look good. It has been about 2 weeks since I used it and the new growth is looking good. Everyone thinks they put on the most beautiful display. I love the variety of color. A couple of them are more in the shade and they defin... read more

On Apr 30, 2006, Citrine from Las Vegas, NV (Zone 9a) wrote:

This rose blooms in all the lovely colors of a delicious citrus salad! At the same time you can see, yellow, white, pink and orange and the smell is divine. This rose is one heck of a climber, always finding its way up over the patio roof, completely bypassing the trellis.

The thorns are something frightful. They are plentiful and super sharp! I've been scratched many times by this beauty. Ahh, the color and frangrance make it all worth it, though.

This rose does cope with shade rather well, but will climb very high to get to the sunlight it craves.

On Jan 16, 2006, ptcaroline from Bainbridge Island, WA wrote:

I love this rose. Fragrance is delightful, and more than just slightly fragrant. I call it a soapy, clean, rose fragrance. Colors are fantastic. Definitely blooms with less vigor after first flush in the spring (in western WA). Everyone who has seen mine or gotten one of the beautiful flowers in a vase is enchanted with the fragrance. Recently tried propagating with cuttings, 4 of 10 made it. Treacherous thorns on this one, but low maintenance. Got to be about 8-10 feet, at least 7 years old but probably older. Got rather leggy at some point and I pruned it nearly to death (so I thought), but it came back very nicely and rewarded with abundant blooms. I was, however, much nicer to it after that! I've submitted photos to show the color variance. Looking to plant in my new garde... read more

On Sep 28, 2005, chicochi3 from Fayetteville, AR (Zone 6b) wrote:

Beautiful flowers, but blackspot is definitely a problem.

On Aug 19, 2005, mairenn from Monroe, GA wrote:

I just planted 2 of these this spring. When they are not blooming they are putting on new growth. They are completely healthy while their neighbors have killing blackspot, and they are incredibly fragrant. The brilliant color is visible from down the street!

On Jun 6, 2005, electfew from Milford, DE wrote:

I put this in the front corner of our home, facing east, about 10 yrs. ago. It is indeed VERY THORNY, and gets blackspot very bad here. I tried everything to treat it for that, but nothing worked until now. We live in the country, but are within 8 miles of a fishing beach, and have marshland near us. The humidity is rough on roses, no doubt about that! Blackspot is the worse enemy here, of roses. I've tried everything out there, but I did try a new item this year to battle it, when I felt like giving up. It's Bayer's 3 in 1 for Roses- I hope no one thinks I'm advertising this, I only want to share that it works. I had the 2 in 1 last year, but it doesn't have fungicide in it like this does. I used it twice so far this year, and it seems to be working well. It lasts for 6 weeks, and is fert... read more

On May 21, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I love the look of this rose, but I had no luck with it thriving here. It would put out a few blooms per season and just never showed it's full potential. I was a bit disappointed in it.

On Apr 2, 2005, janders from Rockwall, TX wrote:

Must be sprayed every few weeks to keep black spot in check, but the gorgeous blooms are worth it. Extremely throny, so I keep it in the back of the yard where it is thriving.

On Jul 26, 2003, carolann from Auburn, NH wrote:

Impressive climbing rose - lovely colors - contrasts well with whites and purples planted around it. Super hardy and not a difficult rose to find in most areas.

On May 21, 2003, cgarnier wrote:

Inexpensive beginning: a find at Wal-Mart for $6.00.
Hardiness: I live in Saint John, New Brunswick Canada (zone 5a-5b) and this rose has done reasonably well despite some exposure to winter north winds (base was covered & canes wrapped).
Curb-Appeal: Anyone who walks by comments on this rose when it's in blossom... people can't get over the beautiful colors.