PlantFiles: Tree Philodendron, Cut-leaf Philodendron, Selloum
Philodendron bipinnatifidum

Family: Araceae (a-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Philodendron (fil-oh-DEN-dron) (Info)
Species: bipinnatifidum (by-pin-uh-TIFF-ih-dum) (Info)

Synonym:Philodendron selloum
Synonym:Philodendron selloum var. lundii

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

By miss_kitty

Thumbnail #6 of Philodendron bipinnatifidum by FloridaGardener

By Bug_Girl
Thumbnail #7 of Philodendron bipinnatifidum by Bug_Girl

Neutral dimplesten On Aug 5, 2011, dimplesten from Ettrick, VA wrote:

I bought two of these plants 2 weeks ago from home depot and they were just beautiful, lush and huge in their 10 gal pot. I transplanted and repotted with moisture control mix potting soil and placed them in my bay window that had curtains. After about two weeks, the leaves started to turn yellow, so I watered less, and now the tips of the leaves are turning brown all the way down the stem. I tried removing my curtain, and adding blinds, closing my vents...don't know what else to do. Can someone please help. When I first bought them, you could not see the middle of the plant there were so many branches....now they are still plenty branches and leaves, but they are not as dense. What ma I doing wrong. I live in VA, in zone 7, so replanting outside with our winters is not an option.

Positive td1026 On Apr 29, 2011, td1026 from Groveland, FL wrote:

Beautifu, one of the most intriguing plants I've ever seen. Grows very well here in central Florida, but how many hours of sun a day does it require to bloom?

Positive sunkissed On Jan 26, 2011, sunkissed from Winter Springs, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

We had two of these already planted by previous owners when we moved into our house seventeen years ago, so I know they are at least that old. A third one came up next to Mr. and Mrs. Phil about three years ago, so now I have a clump of three. I love the tropical look they give our yard. I plant shade loving plants under them. They produce a large white flower that smells heavenly in the late evening hours, the flower looks like a peeled banana. I have planted three more this past year because I love the tropical look. They are pretty freeze hardy suffering browning on the leaves from temperatures that go into the twenties, but mine are under oak trees and have that added protection. I notice if they are out in the open they will completely get zapped to the ground, but they always seem to come back. Be careful where you plant these in warm humid climates because they can grow huge. I do trim mine because they start to cover my BBQ area.

Positive Kano296 On Jun 5, 2010, Kano296 from Dade City, FL wrote:

I love this plant! I was afraid I had lost mine this past winter in Central Florida because we had unusually cold temperatures (some were down to 16 degrees!). The leaves all died but thankfully, new ones emerged from the trunks in the spring! I just wanted to comment on the wonderful fragrance that the flowers on this plant produce because I haven't heard anyone else comment on it. It took me quite a while to figure out where that heavenly fragrance was coming from in the air at night time. For some reason, they only seem to produce fragrance at night and the fragrance is similar to magnolias but even better! I walk by them all day long and don't smell a thing but at night the fragrance is awesome!

Neutral nancyburt On Jan 2, 2010, nancyburt from Birmingham, AL wrote:

I have a tree philodendron and would like to root another one from it. What is the easiest way to do this? I would like to keep the original plant looking pretty. Thanks for your help. Nancy

Positive nutz4plts On Nov 28, 2009, nutz4plts from Stoystown, PA wrote:

I bought my tree philodendron back in 1975 at a department store. It was in a 4 inch plastic pot at the time with one or two, inch-long, heart shaped leaves sticking up, a nice small plant to start out my collection, so I thought. It lived in my room for the next 4 years and kept growing these huge leaves while I kept moving it from one larger pot to another. It stayed at my parents place for a few years after I married. They moved it downstairs into the living room where it grew a trunk and became a staked tree. My mother finally said she was tired of caring for it and would I please move it to my house. It made the trip okay in the bed of my husband's pickup truck but began to quickly die off at my house. It didn't like the well water at my place, so I repotted it and used rainwater to try and save it. When new shoots sprouted from the base of the old trunk I was delighted. I continued to catch rainwater to keep it happy until I got a filtering machine from our water conditioning company. It's now growing fine in a north facing window here in south central PA, I call it my old friend. It doesn't like liquid plant food so I have to add organic potting soil now and then. It's got a trunk again and is quite an impressive-looking plant.

Neutral cf269 On Nov 3, 2009, cf269 from Fort Pierce, FL wrote:

This plant was in our yard when we purchased our home. It was unattended for many years and totally blocked the front door. We have nicknamed it "devils blood" because the sap will stain your clothing. Be very careful ! Another poster said it produces a bloom that may be edible. It isn't !!! We cut down 12 and left 3 in our yard. we are in south Florida, so it loves the weather. I trimmed one back last spring and it is 8 feet tall now.

Positive saywhat12 On Aug 17, 2009, saywhat12 from Houston, TX wrote:

I have two of these growing full sun in Houston and they're huge and constantly thriving!

Positive krusty412 On Jun 19, 2009, krusty412 from Encinitas, CA wrote:

I love this plant. I have a beautiful specimen in my front yard that has grown to about 15 feet tall and has leaves the size of my 32 gallon yard waste trash cans. I am in coastal San Diego so it grows here in much the same way as you would expect in it's natural habitat. My 15 foot specimen has been able ot reach such heights by leaning on a couple of King Palms and wrapping it's aerial roots around the palm trunks. Without the support it would be laying on the ground. Keep this in mnid when planting. It is far more striking and unusual to see a specimen of such great height as they generally get cut down in San Diego once they fall over.

Positive Centaurea On Jan 29, 2009, Centaurea from Amsterdam
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

A survivor.
I have had this plant for 12 years as a houseplant and it is near unkillable. This species started my love affair with plants.
I first rescued some roots from a winter outside in Virginia. They were discarded, tops completely killed, it was late winter. I cut off all rotten portions of the root to discover living tissue which I lovingly rinsed in the bathtub under warm water while talking encouragingly to it. I then planted it in a pot and that was that, I was hooked. This plant has been through an entire year in a garage without water or light at my mom's (she forgot it) and is now bouncing back beautifully. This is a great houseplant that can easily be cut back if it gets too large.

Positive vossner On Dec 16, 2008, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Very architectural but think about where you will plant as it can be a space hog, at least in warmer climates. Mine has been flowering for the last 3 yrs. I prune mine in spring and fall, otherwise it would be much, much bigger.

Positive nomosno On May 24, 2008, nomosno from San Diego, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

I always loved this plant when I was living in my old abode on the North East. It was a tough house plant and nice looking to boot. I had an old friend who lived in upstate NY and had a greenhouse she dismantled every spring. In it lived one of these philodendrons and when I first saw it on a summer day I thought I had stepped into some tropical paradise. The plant was huge! It turned out that the lady had cut off, with a sawzall! because it was so big, the top of the entire plant with the leaves when late fall came, and she reassembled the greenhouse over her tropical plants. By the time she was ready to re-disassemble it, the plant already had regrown its first leaves and was ready to continue growing in the sunny part of the year. I believe it even had flowers. Here in San Diego were have truly gigantic specimens growing in Balboa Park. I got mine, a flowering picture of which I uploaded to the picture collection, when I found a trunk of this plant laying on the side walk one day, baking in the sun. It had no leaves, but you could see a tiny green speck at the very tip of it. It looked like an incredibly large sausage, bent almost into an L shape. I took it home and dug a shallow groove into which I laid in one side of the L, the other side pointing straight upwards, attached to a stick. I covered the lower part with compost, and started misting the tip daily (via my irrigation system). It began growing leaves then aerials and by now (2 years later) it is taller than me, and flowering.

Positive ronisroses On Apr 5, 2008, ronisroses from Columbus, OH wrote:

My family has had this plant for 33 years. It is in a container that probably 2 adults can fit in. It takes seven 40 lb. bags of dirt. It grew from a root. Now it is a big a two refrigerators side by side and is just as tall. One stalk grew then it just quit developing leaves. Then it like died off and this little shoot started growing. The stalk that died off, we had to take it out of its container and cut it off with a saw. The little shoot grew so huge to what I have now. The summer of "07" it looked like one more leaf was going to grow, but it never opened up. It was on the very top but it never opened up. I was so sad I thought it was dying. I live in Ohio, so I have cold winters. I was bringing it in for the winter (we have to move it with a dolly, and about 4 adult men to move it in the house) and I noticed these two new shoots coming out, now the are getting big. The original stalk looks like it is dying, like it could break off. Now I have 2 of them growing in the same container, the roots are wrapping around the old stalk and I don't know what to do with it now. I would llike to seperate them but I don't know how. I have never seen it bloom and I have never seen seeds. If anyone can help me or have advice please e-mail me at bigredbug41@yahoo.com I would appriciate it sooo much.

Positive fakecanadia On Apr 15, 2007, fakecanadia from Brooklyn, NY wrote:

This was the first houseplant I got for my apartment's east facing window (see pics). After it settled in, it quickly started growing numerous huge leaves. Each one is larger than the previous, so I must be doing something right. It gets watered after the top inch or two of the soil dries out, and I have given it 1/4 strength miracle grow once since the start of spring. Also, I repotted it up from a 10in to 12in pot a few weeks ago and I've already got new aerial roots appearing.
If you have space and morning light, you'll find this is a great starter houseplant.

Positive plantladylin On Mar 26, 2007, plantladylin from South Daytona, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

We have a huge amount of this plant in our side yard and I love the Tropical Look it gives the Landscape. We have had hard freezes in the past which will knock this Philodendron right down, but it always comes back in the Spring. A beautiful, easy to grow Monster of a plant! We planted these in our yard 32 years ago, they've never been fertilized, get water twice a week when sprinklers are set and they have grown quite large!

Negative omegabook On Mar 14, 2007, omegabook from La Mesa, CA wrote:

Boring! All it does is produce leaves. The previous owner of our house evidently liked it a lot because it is planted in a number of places. It takes every exposure from full sun to full shade and handles a wide variation of watering. Nothing seems to affect it adversely. I plan to rip them all out and replace them with plants with flowers.

Neutral locstress On Jan 7, 2007, locstress from Waldorf, MD wrote:

I bought this plant for in 1 gallon for $19.99 at a supermarket. I was so pretty all summer and then towards the end of the fall it started to look sad. As time went on, it just died but something told me not to throw it away. I recently just dumped to pot out to see what was going on, if anything and sure enough there were still some apparently healthy roots and even a tiny little leaf, completely white from being buried under the dirt!! I am glad that I repotted the tuber or crom or whatever it is. Cant wait for the spring time to see if it comes back!

Positive PrincessJasmine On Nov 30, 2006, PrincessJasmine from Round Rock, TX wrote:

I love it! Grows great in zone 8b. I have to cut it back every winter and comes back with a vengeance in spring. I have never seen any of mine flower. My newest one was purchased as a 1G and is now about 4 ft tall and wide after one growing season.

Neutral 1cros3nails4gvn On Sep 30, 2006, 1cros3nails4gvn from Bluffton, SC (Zone 9a) wrote:

this is planted everywhere down here in hilton head and bluffton, sc. from what ive seen, it has little trouble in the winter here. the only thing i dont really like about it is that its flower stinks to high heavens when it gets old.

Positive Pashta On Jun 16, 2006, Pashta from Moncks Corner, SC (Zone 8b) wrote:

I love this plant. I bought it relatively small, and had it for years that way. When I moved a year and a half ago, it got very badly damaged, and I lost most of the folige. I kept watering it anyway, kept it in smewhat low light most of the day, and it came back. I put it outside in the spring and leave it there all year. This "houseplant" is a monster. I HAVE to move it outside so I can have my living room back! This plant thrives with or without attention. I love the roots that pop over the soil...a friend of a friend had one with roots wrapped completely around the outside of the container it was in, and it looked happy that way! Fantastic plant!

Positive skaz421 On Jan 13, 2006, skaz421 from Wesley Chapel, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Grows fine in zone 9a, with total neglect. It's growing in a corner, getting little sun. I'm going to move it out to a more open area this year, and I hope it will really take off.

Neutral GreenEyedGuru On Jan 8, 2006, GreenEyedGuru from SF Bay Area, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This plant is _definitely_ hardy in 9b and maybe even 9a. I see mature specimens growing all over the place around here.

Positive KCBH On Apr 23, 2005, KCBH from Lees Summit, MO wrote:

I have had this plant since 1973. I set it out on the deck in the spring and move it inside in winter. I water it every Sunday morning with a gallon of tap water. So far I havent killed it. Haha. Last year I gave it a shot or two of Miracle Grow and it didnt seem to do anything so I didnt do it again. This is the 1st year I can remember that it has a flower, it could be that I have never looked before. I know this sounds silly but I am a single guy and it's the best I can do.

Positive rh3708 On Nov 30, 2004, rh3708 from Westmoreland, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

I got this plant as a house plant.
It got too big so i put it out side and it did well.
I have never seen it bloom and didn't know it would or could.
I cut it back in the winter and it comes back in spring.

Report:04-22-05,
I have had to dig this plant up and pot it for the move it is doing well,... digging it up didnt hurt it a bit.
it is happy in its little pot but will be finding a better home in the yard soon.
:}
RH

Positive MotherNature4 On Jul 15, 2004, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

We have several huge specimens that have been growing on the east side of our house in Zone 9a with no attention for over 40 years. Cold that has killed citrus trees only nipped the edges of the leaves. I'd say it is pretty tough.

They give a true tropical appearance to the landscape.

Neutral Marybelle On Jul 14, 2004, Marybelle from Palm Harbor, FL wrote:

I was given one of these plants out of a friends yard about a year ago. Last summer it did really well but this year the leaves turn brown and dry up a few weeks after they come out. The plant is continuously blooming new leaves though so I don't think it is dying. It gets plenty of water. Does anyone know of any diseases it may have or what might be wrong? (I am in zone 9.)
Thanks!
Marybelle (e-mail, mini62@ij.net)

Positive jperry21 On Jun 11, 2004, jperry21 from Altoona, WI wrote:

I recieved this plant from one of my friends who was moving and no idea what it was or even how to take care of it but it has been growing woderfully. It is huge though, takes up ALOT of space.

Neutral foodiesleuth On May 4, 2004, foodiesleuth from Honomu, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

This plant can grow to huge jungle-like proportions here in Hawaii. Very hardy and almost impossible to get rid of...any little bit of the root system left, even just laying in the ground, will take off and grow.

Beautiful leaves and it can fill in bare spots anywhere needed. Fast growing. Sometimes can be seen taking support on a tree trunk and managing to grow up high on the tree.

Positive Felsap On Jan 18, 2004, Felsap from (Zone 9b) wrote:

Phil was given to me 28 years ago by my best friend when she moved from Florida to California. We have been together ever since. He prefers a slightly acidic soil.When I made my last move he was just too big to bring in his pot; so we split him into 6 pieces.He hasn't fully recovered yet. But he is still hanging in there. About ten years ago I was sucessful at making seeds on him. Doing so is not for the faint hearted. It requires some amount of time and effort. If you have several plants blooming at once you need to: Cut the hood or shroud of the flower off about two or three inches down when it opens, Make sure you are going to have another open flower on another plant to put the pollen on. When the cut off shroud closes back up, it will produce pollen on the exposed part that you cut the shroud back on. Take this pollen and put it on the tip of the central part of the open flower that you did not cut the shroud off of. When it closes back up the seed making process begins. You will know you have been sucessful when you can gently rub the outside of the pollinated flower and feel what feels like corn kernals inside of it. These are the seeds. Wait for them to mature, open the pod and dry the seeds or plant them. I have been able to make seeds on mine several times using this method. Good Luck with yours.

Positive amorning1 On Oct 30, 2003, amorning1 from Islamorada, FL wrote:

Grows fine in 9a.

Positive tsberg On Aug 7, 2003, tsberg from Denham Springs, LA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have had tremendous success with this plant as a potted plant as well as in the yard. I moved from Melbourne, Forida, (where it was a common sight, looking very exotic on tall, bent stalks throughout the year) to Baton Rouge, Louisiana where the foliage died back during the winter and returned beautifully in the spring.

I am now living in Huntington, West Virginia and have one that I brought with me in a pot. I believe it would not be hardy here outside through the year, so I will move it inside for the winter. I had to sell a lot of my plants before I moved from Louisiana, but this one was just beginning to develop a stalk and I couldn't part with it. I cut all the leaves off so I could fit it in the back of my covered pickup, and so far one leaf has come back out. Even though this is a very common plant throughout the south, I cannot imagine living without it in my garden or house, especially now that I am not actually in the south.

Negative cocoanut On Jul 13, 2003, cocoanut from Cocoa, FL wrote:

Beware of the sap of this plant and also the pollen on the blossom. If the sap gets on you, it leaves a stain. Some people are allergic to it. I am, and I suffered with a rash (like poison ivy) at all the points of contact. It burned and itched for 3 weeks. I am now very careful when trimming this plant.

Positive patp On Jul 13, 2003, patp from Summerville, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

This plant grows well in Summerville, South Carolina (USDA Zone 8a). It dies when a hard frost hits and re-emerges in the Spring. We've had this plant over 20 years and it's never bloomed, probably because it's too far north. One of our favorites, deer have never nibbled it, and there's never been a problem with insect infestations.

Positive WoodrowStreet On Jul 9, 2003, WoodrowStreet from New Orleans, LA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This plant brings back memories of my childhood. My dad had half a dozen in various places around our New Orleans yard. He even harvested seeds.

Positive laneybob On Jun 6, 2003, laneybob from Lake Park, GA wrote:

I had one of these plants for many years. It started out as a houseplant, then I put it outside for some sunshine and rain. When I tried to take it back inside it had rooted through the bottom of the pot into the ground, where I left it. It was my baby and I really liked it. So when I moved I had someone dig it up for me (it was about 8 feet tall.) It survived the move and I enjoyed it many more years. I have moved again and I have some of the root and I'm hoping it will survive.

This plant has a mind of its own. I had it close to my last house and I had siding on it and shutters. The braces that this plant puts out for support started under my siding and into one of my shutters. I had to cut them. Every winter the first frost would do damage to it, even though I would try to cover it with old sheets. We usually severely cut it back and it would come back in the spring. I am in South Georgia, not far from the Florida line.

When you cut it back for the winter, cover it with several layers of sheeting or whatever if you are going to have below freezing temperatures as it can't stand lots of cold. I usually had blooms on my plant every year, which would open up and look like a large banana which I was told was edible.

Positive leggman On Jun 5, 2003, leggman wrote:

I live in Maryland on the western shore of Chesapeake Bay. I just bought one of these at a garage sale. I transplanted it (my wife actually did it) to a larger pot and have it on the deck.

Neutral ShadowStar On May 26, 2003, ShadowStar wrote:

My mom has a few really good plants. Apparently all parts of the plant are poisonous if ingested except the fruits for most types. I have a couple, but they've not bloomed even yet.

Positive misha On Apr 30, 2003, misha wrote:

Region: This plant thrives along the gulf coast from Texas to Florida

Positive Bug_Girl On Nov 9, 2002, Bug_Girl from San Francisco, CA wrote:

I got this as a house plant, and I hate houseplants so I planted it outdoors and it really took off. It likes rich soil and is a heavy feeder. Mine is not staked, it does not seem to need it. I have also uploaded a photo of the flower of which it had three this year.

Grenoble,
Fairhope, Alabama
Mackenzie, Alabama
Mobile, Alabama
Saks, Alabama
Mesa, Arizona
Phoenix, Arizona (2 reports)
Scottsdale, Arizona
Poway, California
Rancho Mirage, California
Reseda, California
Riverside, California
San Diego, California (3 reports)
San Jose, California (2 reports)
Union City, California
Upland, California
Yosemite Lakes, California
Big Pine Key, Florida (2 reports)
Black Diamond, Florida
Fort Pierce, Florida
Greater Northdale, Florida
Hampton, Florida
Haverhill, Florida
Jacksonville, Florida (3 reports)
Jan Phyl Village, Florida
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Zephyrhills, Florida
Ainaloa, Hawaii
Honomu, Hawaii
Baton Rouge, Louisiana (2 reports)
Franklin, Louisiana