Faassen's Catmint, Ornamental Catmint
Nepeta x faassenii 'Six Hills Giant'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Nepeta (NEP-eh-tuh) (Info)
Species: x faassenii (fah-SEN-ee-eye) (Info)
Cultivar: Six Hills Giant

Spencer, Massachusetts

Uxbridge, Massachusetts

Dewitt, Michigan

New Buffalo, Michigan

Minneapolis, Minnesota (2 reports)

Florence, Mississippi

Herndon, Virginia

Urbanna, Virginia

Racine, Wisconsin

On Jul 11, 2012, bstnh1 from Farmington, NH wrote:

Does well in zone 4 and 5 in New Hampshire in half day sun. Blooms Spring to mid-July and can be cut back a bit to force a second long blooming period. Honey bees love it. Have only had it in one year, but it seems to maintain its shape well.

On Jun 13, 2012, l6blue from Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4b) wrote:

Grows well in partial sun/shade in my sandy yard. It has long-lasting flowers. It requires occasional maintenance to keep it from crowding out its neighbors.

On Jun 21, 2011, thetripscaptain from Racine, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

As stated this plant has a wide spread and floppy stems, making it a bit messy at times but the flowers are very nice looking and seemingly everlasting. If it is getting too wide for you simply cut it back 50% or so and it will quickly recover and flower again. Cats seem to like the fresh leaves and the flowers are nice cut although they dry quickly. I'm not certain if the dried material is good for anything or not, I know people make tea from Nepeta cataria but I'm not sure if this species has that value or not.

On Jul 9, 2010, tstefanick from Dewitt, MI wrote:

Generally speaking, I would give this plant a positive rating. I do not believe it is sterile as it has come up 6' away from the parent plant all the way across a stone walkway. Also, 100's of babies underneath where the flowers flop over. For three years I wondered why it was floppy, then I found my cats rolling around in it. They also like to lay under it in its shade on a hot day. I think it's kind of a messy looking plant but I love its long bloom time and use it as a cut flower a lot.

On May 26, 2009, arvado from Arvada, CO wrote:

Either my nursery tag was wrong and it's not a Six Hills Giant, or the person who said they don't set seeds was referring to something different. Mine has been reseeding for 5 years, to the point where it's quite invasive. I have to keep after it with a shovel and Roundup to maintain control. But it's a spectacular plant. Attracts two kinds of honeybees, one with an orange spot on its back and one that looks like a children's cartoon caricature of a bee -- perfect black and yellow stripes -- laughable. They mob the plant like there's no tomorrow and never bother bystanders. I can work right next to it and they don't mind at all. Also attracts cats, but they just sit near it -- no drunken behavior.

On Apr 13, 2006, AndyGram from Herndon, VA wrote:

This plant is actually OK in less than full sun. Over the years the branches of some neighboring trees have encroached into a once sunny area of my garden. But this plant has continued to come back regardless and flowers abundantly. I never bother deadheading it and it still flowers continuously. It does like a support hoop, though, but once the plant has grown out for the season the hoop completely disappears in the foliage.

On Mar 26, 2006, gardenwife from Newark, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I love this cultivar. It is a well-behaved, clumping plant. The bees *love* the spires of flowers and they're wonderful for cut flower arrangements.

On Jun 14, 2005, rweiler from Albuquerque, NM wrote:

Catmint has become my new "fav" in NM Zone 6b-7a. I have 4 diff. cultivars in my yard. My first Six Hills Giant came from a reputable nursury in a gallon container and got a slow start. After one month in full sun until late afternoon, in a new bed with good drainage and composted soil, this plant is now perfectly mounded and 2ft. across. My sister's who bought at the same time, same place is not as amazing NM zone 7a-8. It is in average, uncultivated, unamended soil. LOVE THIS PLANT!! I'll keep you posted as all the different cultivars in my garden grow!

On Jun 8, 2005, langbr from Olathe, KS (Zone 6a) wrote:

A nice filler plant for a large bedding area. Mine is 3 yrs old and is about 3 feet across but very floppy as mentioned earlier. Very long blooming, drought tolerant and will rebloom lightly if trimmed back after inital bloom flush ends.

If I were to buy a catmint again it would more than likely be Walkers Low which is suppose to be more compact.

On Jun 5, 2005, ownedbycats from Southern, NH (Zone 5b) wrote:

This is quite "floppy", but still a beautiful plant. Once the first set of blooms is gone (which takes quite a while), cut the entire mound, and it will re-bloom. Very easy to divide.

On Mar 25, 2005, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

I absolutely love this cultivar and I've tried raising 6 Hills Giant in varous places in my garden, most of which have turned out too wet, should we have above average moisture like it's been the past 3 years. My late cat, Bella, who loved to go out into the garden to mouse, was enamored of this particular type of Nepeta and would roll around in it luxuriously as part of her daily routine in the summer.

When she passed away (from old age), I planted one of these on her grave - it's the only one that survives and continues to bloom year after year!

Nepeta needs full sun and very well drained soil. This cultivar is particularly beautiful and long blooming - mine usually from late June through close to frost.

On Mar 24, 2005, nevadagdn from Sparks, NV (Zone 7a) wrote:

This plant isn't *completely* sterile--I've had a few "volunteers" turn up in other parts of the garden. It's fairly sterile, though. My cats LOVE this plant, and will sit under it in summer, inhaling the aromatic oils and getting completely stoned. The blue flowers and small leaves are attractive, too. The plant gets large, though.

On Mar 6, 2005, northgrass from West Chazy, NY (Zone 4b) wrote:

This plant makes a large mound, completely covering everything else within 2 feet of it unless it is a strong and sizable neighbor.
It makes quite a statement in the garden with its numerous violet-blue flowers and very nice foliage.
It often needs to be trimmed a bit at the end of summer to give it a neater appearance.

On Jan 24, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

For a long-blooming plant in the garden, this one is hard to beat! It is a sterile hybrid, so you don't even have to keep deadheading it!