PlantFiles: Siberian Catmint
Nepeta sibirica

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Nepeta (NEP-eh-tuh) (Info)
Species: sibirica (sy-BEER-ah-kuh) (Info)

Herbs

Medium Blue

Aromatic
Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse
From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

By northgrass
Thumbnail #1 of Nepeta sibirica by northgrass

By saya
Thumbnail #2 of Nepeta sibirica by saya

Neutral jas7mine On Mar 8, 2011, jas7mine from Auburn, CA wrote:

This is not a rating; it is a question. I purchased Nepeta Siberica last year from a mail order catalog. I planted it in a sunny location ~ it looked healthy, but never did bloom. Last month when I went to the location where I had planted it, it was completely gone. My question is, does it die back completely, or did one of my local critters pull it up? Does anyone have an answer for me?

Positive SunnyBorders On Jun 16, 2009, SunnyBorders from Aurora, ON (Zone 5a) wrote:

Excellent plant. Showy. Needs staking. Spreads, but easy to pull up. Remove flowered spikes for more flowering (as you do, the plant gets shorter).

Positive catevala On Jul 24, 2008, catevala from Spokane, WA wrote:

Today, July 24th, I observed this species in full bloom at one of my favorite local nurseries, i.e. Tower Perennials in Spokane WA. What attracted my attention was two-fold: 1. It was blooming now when many perennials, and esp. many mints, have finished, and 2. it was being visited by a nice little female hummingbird, leading me to suggest that it is a good hummingbird attractor. This seems like a much under-appreciated mint.

Positive northgrass On Mar 6, 2005, northgrass from West Chazy, NY (Zone 4b) wrote:

When in bloom, this plant provides quite a spectacle with its very numerous lavender-blue blossoms which last most of the summer.
It is large, 3 feet but grows well among other plants like daylilies, oriental lilies, hostas etc. A good mixer but can be a bit rangy too..
It does spread but I do not find it invasive. It is easy to pull out where it is not wanted. I also pinch it back in June to keep it in bound. It has the added benefit to make it bushier and of staggering the blossoming time.
It does not seem to be fussy about soil or growing conditons.
It is mentioned in the description that it reseeds readily, I have not found it so, mine only spreads by its roots.

Positive Terry On Jan 19, 2003, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Some sources recommend this species for areas with heavy or clay soil. There are pink-flowering forms as well as the blue/violet flowering species.

Positive wanahca On Aug 19, 2002, wanahca from Sarasota, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Beautiful plant creating a sea of blue. As with all in the mint family, it spreads rapidly through a shallow root system. Keep a close eye on it because it can easily become invasive, quickly overgrowing anything in its path.
I pull out armloads of it when it begins to spread where I don't want it, and move the extras to a new location where it will settle in happily in no time.

Fuzzy, medium blue flowers cover the strong stems in bracts. Long lasting cut flower.

In Zone 5 it is a tough, hardy perennial, although its
Hardiness Zones seems to vary by text source. Although it prefers a moist soil, it is also extremely drought tolerant here, preferring full sun.

I am moving to Zone 9 in Florida and will try it out there. Some sources say it is ok to Zone 9, others say only to Zone 8. I will report back when I have given it a chance to (hopefully) adapt.

Republic, Missouri