PlantFiles: Faassen's Catmint, Ornamental Catmint
Nepeta x faassenii 'Walker's Low'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Nepeta (NEP-eh-tuh) (Info)
Species: x faassenii (fah-SEN-ee-eye) (Info)
Cultivar: Walker's Low

By rebecca101
Thumbnail #7 of Nepeta x faassenii by rebecca101

Positive LaSalvadega On Jun 9, 2014, LaSalvadega from Domme
France wrote:

I love this plant. It is beautiful from early spring (the young shoots are ravishing) to autumn, looking as classy as lavender, or better, really. Very easy to propagate, I got my plants from cuttings from a neighbour and they grew HUGE in only one year.
I have two cats who have the run of the garden and they leave it wholly alone, so it's worth trying it, even if you have furballs around.
Mine doesn't slump, but stands quite upright.
While transplanting a sizable patch of it I noticed it has a very nice smell, but it only comes out when you handle the plant by wholesale; rubbing a few leaves does not release much scent (or maybe it's just my nose).
Vastly recommended.

Positive BlackEarthSquid On Aug 30, 2013, BlackEarthSquid from Black Earth, WI wrote:

Proliferates readily, and fluffs out over neighboring plants, I will have to cut it back a bunch.

Easy as pie to propagate from cuttings, you almost can't miss. Just plunk a few cuttings in sandy soil (with or without rooting hormone) and you will get some extra plants.

Pretty and hardy. Nice for hard - to - landscape areas as almost nothing kills it.

Positive AmyInNH On Aug 27, 2013, AmyInNH from Brookline, NH wrote:

Sandy, no shade yard, this plant is by the hot tar road, bloomed in the spring and has stayed purple all summer. Everything should grow this easily and look this great.

Positive petuniatoad On Aug 26, 2013, petuniatoad from Dallas, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Living in warm humid North Texas, catmint is the perfect substitute for lavander.
Our cat Sadie used to roll in it. But you could fluff it right back up.
Sadie, however, was a mean drunk. So after she'd rolled in it, you'd better be careful not to pet her. She'd give you warning, with her ears laid back!

Positive gardenerLew On Aug 26, 2013, gardenerLew from Greene, ME wrote:

Some suggestions for those experiencing cat problems or flopping:

In early spring stick some 8-12" sticks upright into the soil in and around the plant. Cats don't find this a comfortable mattress at all!

For flopping (though some of us do not find this a problem and like the draping effect), again, stick some branches into the ground, this time, multi-branched sticks that will act as supports as the catmint grows.

Negative baileyweb On Aug 26, 2013, baileyweb from Rome
Italy (Zone 10a) wrote:

This plant was just what I wanted for the corner of a flower bed but unfortunately my cats destroyed it. First they rolled on it, so I covered it with rigid wire netting, but then one peed on it till it died! Not suitable for a garden with a cat therefore!

Positive ClimbTheMtns On Jun 3, 2013, ClimbTheMtns from Walnut Creek, CA wrote:

It gets bigger and bigger each year.
This year it provided a somewhat new show. The first blooms of my walkers low were low and are always pretty low. I assume the photos here of those standing upright are before they collapse.
So my first blooms laid low and as they started to fade (now on June 3), new, more erect stems/blooms are coming up from the center. So I cut back the almost spent blooms/stems to allow the new center growth to provide fresh flowers.
I like how it self-seeds a bit. I dig them up and pass them on to others.

Negative DrG41 On Mar 19, 2012, DrG41 from Clinton, MS wrote:

I hope you all can give me some advice.

I purchase 9 Nepeta Walker's low and I planted them on Saturday. Unfortunately, the plants are laying on the ground. They are not in an upright position. Is this normal? If so, when should I expect them to become upright? Thanks fellow gardeners.

Positive gardenercarrie On Jun 14, 2011, gardenercarrie from Norton, MA wrote:

I had grown "Six Giant Hills" in the past and loved them. I decided to give "Walker's Low" a try, figurung that it would be a smaller version, more or less. I planted them last spring and they got HUGE! They are at least five feet in diameter! so now I have a spacing issue at hand, since I planted other plants too close. Bees are at them constantly! I absolutely love this plant- every garden should have some catmint!!

Positive cntryrocks On May 17, 2011, cntryrocks from Princeton, KS wrote:

Very pretty plant. Give plenty of room to grow. Mine got HUGE and it didn't take long! In my experience, this is a good filler plant since it compliments just about everything. It ties my, "I like to buy whatever I like," gardening beds together.

Positive sewbge On May 15, 2011, sewbge from Atlanta, GA wrote:

Grows wonderfully here in Atlanta. Mounds of blue flowers for weeks on end. The ones cut back over the winter are more dense than those left free to flower from last years growth. Just put nine plants in my front garden last fall. Another I have had in my back garden in full sun for at least 4 years rarely watered.

Positive RxAngel On Sep 12, 2010, RxAngel from Stratford, TX (Zone 6b) wrote:

I bought this on sale and on a whim when I was out shopping with my Mom. It is a pretty plant, with dark green leaves and a tiny purple flower that blooms in bunches. The flowers remind me of a tiny orchid, and the purple speckles make me wish the flowers were bigger. The smell is wonderful, and the fragrance will release even with the wind blowing it around. My cats, even my catnip-freak junkie, do not seem to notice or bother this plant, even after I cut it back.

I plopped it down in part shade, where it receives the morning sun. It just kinda sat and existed until the heat and dry of August, and then the thing took over the little flower bed almost overnight! It hasn't bloomed much, but I am sure it is because it hasn't received enough direct sun. Anything that loves hot and dry is a must where I live!

I will be looking for more of this to plant next year, and will also try to root some and over-winter it this year. Because of the lovely fragrance, I am also in the process of drying the cuttings (from hacking it back into shape) and am going to make catmint sachets out of them, and if I have some left, I might experiment with stuffed cat-toys.

Positive suzq232 On Jun 24, 2009, suzq232 from The Colony, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is my second season growing Catmint and it's easy to care for and looks good. In my yard the plants in full sun all day are hardier than the ones in partial sun-the difference in growth is very clear. Flower spikes attract bees, moths, butterflies and cats. I'll be cutting back soon to see if it re-blooms; I didn't cut back last year until winter. I love this plant!

Positive Black_Eyed_Susy On Jun 10, 2009, Black_Eyed_Susy from (Zone 5a) wrote:

This blooms all summer long on the south side of my house and I love the color. Two bumblebees work this plant from sunup to sundown. I have noticed on two occassions goldfinches gathering in this plant. They fly away as soon as I open the front door, so I am not sure what they are up to. I have never heard of this plant being attractive to finches. I would love to know if anyone else has experienced this. My cats like to hide and lounge in the shade underneath this plant. I'm not sure if they like the scent or just the cover.

Positive tomato2 On Jun 2, 2009, tomato2 from Placitas, NM wrote:

This plant is bullet proof and thrives on neglect! From a 4" pot it will grow to a 2' high by 3' diameter in one season. Cut it to the ground each spring and stand back.

Positive Levdrakon On May 21, 2009, Levdrakon from Colorado Springs, CO (Zone 5a) wrote:

I started mine from purchased seed. It bloomed later in the season its first year, but this year it was just about the first thing to pop up and bloom, late March or early April. It survived the winter above ground in a pot just fine, and spring freezes and snow didn't seem to slow it down much.

Since I started it from seed, and have found a few little seedlings here and there from last year's plant, I don't know what to make of the claim it doesn't produce viable seed.

Positive DenaBolton On May 6, 2009, DenaBolton from Johnson City, TN wrote:

I have been growing this particular catmint for a number of years, and it is one of my favorites. It is extremely hardy in my Zone 6, and one of the first plants to bloom in the early spring. I have found that cats do not normally eat this particular plant; however, they do love the scent. If you ever notice a large depression in the middle of your catmint, then you probably have a cat that is laying in the middle of it. A neighbor's cat used to love to lay under my catmint and just smell it. By the way, this catmint will repel rodents and is also a great companion plant for roses.

Positive oldcountryrose On Apr 21, 2009, oldcountryrose from Edmond, OK wrote:

This is a most dependable plant. Blooms non-stop all summer, not bothered by heat and humidity, and is a first-rate favorite with butterflies, honey bees, bumble bees, hummers and giant moths. There is always something buzzing around my Walkers' Low. It does spread but not invasively and always looks neat if you shear off spent flowers for a new burst of color a little later. Is one of the first things to green up and bloom in the spring and mine (located on south side of house in full sun) were not even nipped when temps dipped to 22 degrees in early April this year.

Positive cactuspatch On Oct 26, 2008, cactuspatch from Alamogordo, NM (Zone 7b) wrote:

This plant blooms beautifully from early April until frost, which can be as late as Nov. in my yard.

I cut it back periodically and to the ground in February. My cats are not especially fond of it like they are regular catnip.

Positive janesdtr On Aug 23, 2008, janesdtr from Pittsburgh, PA (Zone 5b) wrote:

Beautiful and reliable bloomer from April to October. As for sterile seeds, I had a few nice nepeta seedlings this year that I will move elsewhere in the garden. Plants with sterile seed are never 100% sterile - they range from 93% - 99% sterile, so you may find a seedling or two in the spring.

Positive kizilod On Apr 29, 2007, kizilod from Uxbridge, MA wrote:

I have been growing this plant for four years. It is one of my favorites. For me, this plant grows 18" high x 36" wide. It blooms from late May until early July. By that time, it has begun to flop open a bit. I cut it back by half and get a second, lighter bloom from August until the beginning of October. On rare occasions it has self sown, but the seedlings never amount to much. I have had good luck propagating this plant by division. The Perennial Plant Association has named Nepeta 'Walker's Low' Perennial Plant of the Year for 2007.

Neutral Illoquin On Jan 29, 2007, Illoquin from Indianapolis, IN (Zone 5b) wrote:

'Walker's Low' is a garden, not a description of the plant which gets 30" tall.

Neutral JenniferE On Jun 13, 2006, JenniferE from Lebanon, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I love the fragrance and long bloom time of this plant. But it does get rather long and floppy after being in for a few years. Some of my plants are taking up a good bit more space than I had originally expected. Putting in a grid support early on has helped though.

Positive ownedbycats On Jun 5, 2005, ownedbycats from Southern, NH (Zone 5b) wrote:

This is a nice compact (for Catmint) plant that does not flop as much as some Catmints. Very nice foliage, and blooms for a long time. The neighbor's cats like this almost as much as traditional catnip, but they don't cause any permanent damage.

Neutral tjsangel003 On Aug 1, 2004, tjsangel003 from Warren, OH wrote:

I just planted this, so I wouldnt know if it's a success or not. Is it true cats are very attracted to this plant, the same as catnip? If so I'm in trouble!!

Neutral lupinelover On Jan 24, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is a sterile hybrid, so no seed is produced. It must be started from division or cuttings.

Positive talinum On Jun 10, 2002, talinum from Kearney, NE (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is a compact mounded plant with gray-green foliage. The flowers are lavender-blue and bloom April through fall. I really like this plant. I started several plants from soft wood cuttings last year. It was easy to propagate and seems to be very hardy.

Alabaster, Alabama
Dover Foxcroft, Maine
Greene, Maine
Haverhill, Massachusetts
North Chelmsford, Massachusetts
Norton, Massachusetts (2 reports)
Uxbridge, Massachusetts
Caledonia, Michigan
Marquette, Michigan
Menominee, Michigan
Ely, Minnesota
Geneva, Minnesota
Isle, Minnesota
Kasota, Minnesota
Saint Paul, Minnesota (2 reports)
Clinton, Mississippi
Chiloquin, Oregon
Ardmore, Pennsylvania
Lebanon, Pennsylvania
Norristown, Pennsylvania
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (2 reports)
Wallingford, Pennsylvania