Hybrid Wichurana, Large Flowered Climbing Rose
Rosa 'Dr. W. Van Fleet'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Dr. W. Van Fleet
Additional cultivar information:(aka Daybreak, Docteur W. Van Fleet, Doctor W. Van Fleet, Dr. Van Fleet, Dr. Walter Van Fleet)
Hybridized by Van Fleet

Habit:

Trained to climb

Other Details:

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on old wood; prune after flowering

From hardwood cuttings

Pemberton, New Jersey

Himrod, New York

Charleston, West Virginia

On Aug 6, 2013, spmies from Lake of the Woods, IL wrote:

My Dr. Van Fleet came from my great-aunt and must be 100 yrs. old. My parents still have the original bush on their farm in central Illinois. I have moved my "start" with me for over 35 yrs., and it always establishes itself in Illinois and Indiana.

On Jul 28, 2012, mintfresh from Silver Spring, MD wrote:

Plant is extremely hardy and thrives in the hot, humid summers and cold snowy winters of the D.C. area. Seems impervious to black spot, and shrugs off aphids.

On Jun 10, 2011, LouiseK from Birmingham, NJ wrote:

My favorite and the oldest of all my roses. I inherited my 80 or 100 year plant and she seems to thrive on neglect. I do try to prune out all the old dead canes in very early spring. He is planted in acid sandy loam, that is never too dry nor too wet. Rhododendrons thrive in the same part of the garden, so what is good for them seems to be good for him.

On Oct 23, 2009, Alaria from Rockport, MA wrote:

A great rose. New Dawn's look-alike Daddy but only one long flowering. However, the lovely pink blossoms are somewhat larger and more finely formed than New Dawn's pretty but often somewhat muddled blooms. Very hardy. The one in our yard must have been over 30 years old, on a hill over a windy harbor in the teeth of northeasters. It rambled over 30 feet right up into an apple tree and bloomed happily and picturesquely there. A contractor bought the property from our landlord and ripped out all twenty-one rose bushes (except one! Dr. W. hid out in some tall weedy grasses until the destruction was over and then, under cover of the grasses, sneaked back up into the apple tree to bloom and bloom. A real hero!). Nice fragrance, too. If you have the space, worth having in addition to N... read more