Evergreen Solomon's Seal

Disporopsis pernyi

Family: Asparagaceae
Genus: Disporopsis (dy-spor-OP-sis) (Info)
Species: pernyi (PERN-yee-eye) (Info)
Synonym:Aulisconema pernyi

East Tawas, Michigan

Chesterland, Ohio

Lexington, Virginia

On Aug 30, 2008, angihansen from Watkinsville, GA wrote:

Not evergreen in zone 6... in fact, it's one of the first to leave and last to return. I keep thinking it's dead and then notice it again when I'm wandering through the back of my property in late summer.

On Jan 27, 2006, rcn48 from Lexington, VA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Fantastic groundcover! Although the glossy foliage loses some of its sheen over the winter, it quickly regains the deep green foliage in spring just in time for flowering. The photo posted was planted 3 years ago - divided at the time into half a dozen small plants and within two years had formed this large mass. With or without flowers, it's one of our favorites.

Edited to report after a particularly brutal winter with record low temperatures (-15), my planting of Disporopsis didn't hold its evergreen foliage through the winter. It survived, just as not as spectacular as in the past :(

On Oct 16, 2004, tcfromky from Mercer, PA (Zone 5a) wrote:

They're vigorous growers producing several new offsets in a year and make about a 12" clump in a couple of years. You could easily divide a clump and have a huge bunch of plants.

On Oct 1, 2003, TerriFlorida from Plant City, FL wrote:

I sent for this plant on spec, and it has survived summer here in west central Florida pretty well -- though I think it would be kind of me to move it to more shade. When I got it, I didn't have a really suitable area ready. It is a pretty little thing, with an attractive way of growing. I have yet to see it flower, but will try to remember to upload a photo when that happens.