Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Evergreen Solomon's Seal

Disporopsis pernyi

Family: Asparagaceae
Genus: Disporopsis (dy-spor-OP-sis) (Info)
Species: pernyi (PERN-yee-eye) (Info)
Synonym:Aulisconema pernyi

Chesterland, Ohio

Tullahoma, Tennessee

Lexington, Virginia

On Aug 28, 2016, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This species is reliably hardy in Z6a, though deciduous here.

On Aug 28, 2016, Morganics from Tullahoma, TN wrote:

This plant is as indestructible as it is beautiful. I planted mine six years ago right up against the north side of a large oak tree where it gets dappled shade. Since then it has formed a 30" clump and remained evergreen every winter. I only recently read that it may be cut back in late winter/early spring to make the spring blooms more noticeable. The foliage is the star of the show, but the spring bells are a very pretty bonus.

On Aug 30, 2008, angihansen from Watkinsville, GA wrote:

Not evergreen in zone 6... in fact, it's one of the first to leave and last to return. I keep thinking it's dead and then notice it again when I'm wandering through the back of my property in late summer.

On Jan 27, 2006, rcn48 from Lexington, VA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Fantastic groundcover! Although the glossy foliage loses some of its sheen over the winter, it quickly regains the deep green foliage in spring just in time for flowering. The photo posted was planted 3 years ago - divided at the time into half a dozen small plants and within two years had formed this large mass. With or without flowers, it's one of our favorites.

Edited to report after a particularly brutal winter with record low temperatures (-15), my planting of Disporopsis didn't hold its evergreen foliage through the winter. It survived, just as not as spectacular as in the past :(

On Oct 16, 2004, tcfromky from Mercer, PA (Zone 5a) wrote:

They're vigorous growers producing several new offsets in a year and make about a 12" clump in a couple of years. You could easily divide a clump and have a huge bunch of plants.

On Oct 1, 2003, TerriFlorida from Plant City, FL wrote:

I sent for this plant on spec, and it has survived summer here in west central Florida pretty well -- though I think it would be kind of me to move it to more shade. When I got it, I didn't have a really suitable area ready. It is a pretty little thing, with an attractive way of growing. I have yet to see it flower, but will try to remember to upload a photo when that happens.