PlantFiles: Variegated Solomon's Seal, Fragrant Solomon's Seal, Striped Solomon's Seal
Polygonatum odoratum var. thunbergii 'Variegatum'

Family: Asparagaceae
Genus: Polygonatum (po-lig-oh-NAY-tum) (Info)
Species: odoratum var. thunbergii
Cultivar: Variegatum

Synonym:Polygonatum japonicum
Synonym:Polygonatum thunbergii

Variegated

This plant is resistant to deer
Flowers are good for cutting

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

By Toxicodendron

Thumbnail #5 of Polygonatum odoratum var. thunbergii by Toxicodendron

Thumbnail #6 of Polygonatum odoratum var. thunbergii by hczone6

Thumbnail #7 of Polygonatum odoratum var. thunbergii by hczone6

Positive coriaceous On Apr 28, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

A superb perennial for woodland/dry shade conditions. Graceful, elegant, and architectural. The flowers are a lovely bonus, but its main attractions are its foliage and its arching structure. Great for cutting.

Tough and durable, it grows well wherever hostas grow. Spreads slowly and not invasively. Can be divided any time, but most easily in the fall.

There are several variegated forms, but the one most commonly offered for sale is as pictured, with a narrow band of white on the edges of the leaves.

Both the rhizomes and the new shoots are said to be edible.

Positive vanislandgirl On Apr 28, 2014, vanislandgirl from Ladysmith, BC wrote:

I grow 5 different varieties of this plant. They do spread, slowing. But I liked that. They are a beautiful plant.

Positive schbren On May 28, 2012, schbren from Cobourg, ON

I bought my "basic" Solomon's Seal at a flea market. It grew in my Zone 4a, eastern Ontario garden on shallow, very poor soil in full sun and it grew beautifully. It may have spread faster if had been in some shade. It's so graceful and a lovely addition to any herbaceous bed. Something, probably deer, occasionally bit the tip off the cluster of young leaves, but evidently didn't choose to eat any more of the plant. I have now moved to a different area, and thinking I would be able to buy a new plant I didn't bring a piece with me. Now I can't find a supplier. Any ideas?

Positive wakingdream On Mar 2, 2012, wakingdream from Allentown, PA wrote:

I lusted after this plant for a long time and bought it as a gift for myself upon my retirement. It has colonized a dry, dark area on the north side of my home, blooming reliably as it spreads. It has maintained its variegation as well as its attractiveness year after year. I wanted to share some divisions and found it to be forgiving and resilient when dug up in spring. Each piece sprouted and bloomed within 2 months of root disturbance (for potting and replanting). The dangling bells are delicate looking and decorative. Fall color is golden yellow. Overall Variegated Solomon's Seal is an eye-catching shade plant that thrives without extra water or fuss. Southeastern PA, zone 6.

Positive Gabrielle On Jul 19, 2011, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

Attractive plant for foliage. Takes a fair amount of sun. Blooms in April-May in my garden.

Positive rabbitsdiner On Dec 29, 2010, rabbitsdiner from Carmel, IN wrote:

This is a plant that catalog photos don't do justice. It is so graceful and lovely in the woodland garden. It spreads very slowly in my amended clay. I keep it watered for now,it's just been in for a few years. It is supposed to be relatively drought resistant at maturity. I love plants that do well in dry shade! I haven't found it listed anywhere as deer resistant, but I have had great luck with it. The area I have it in is by a nature preserve and is ravaged by deer and rabbits. This has yet to be touched by them.

Positive imapigeon On Mar 22, 2009, imapigeon from Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I love this plant! I've found it to be really low-maintenance. I have had it for about 3 years in a 12" pot that gets morning sun & afternoon shade. I typically water it about once a week during the growing season---a little more often during our triple-digit summers. I transplanted it when it was dormant last winter into a larger & sturdier container, and was concerned I might lose it; everything I've read says it doesn't like to be disturbed. Based on the vigorous spring growth I'm seeing, it likes its new home and the transplanting process didn't phase it! Blooms last for several weeks; the variegated foliage is lovely all summer. In addition, the golden fall color is beautiful and the leaves stay on until late in the season. When they fade, the stems just pull right out, so it's easy to tidy up for winter. The pot sits near my front door, the plant gets lots of attention and compliments from visitors.

Neutral enyeholt On Feb 1, 2009, enyeholt from Village of Port Clements

I only wish to ask, do Deer eat this plant? I live on the Queen Charlotte Islands, coastal rainforest and the Deer are always eating things. Does anyone know. Just because it is poisonous to us doesn;t mean it is poison to deer.

Elaine Nyeholt

Positive SunnyBorders On Jan 14, 2009, SunnyBorders from Aurora, ON (Zone 5a) wrote:

Polygonatum odoratum var. thunbergii 'Variegatum' is sold as Polygonatum odoratum 'Variegatum'.

Positive Malus2006 On Jun 4, 2008, Malus2006 from Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

Very lovely - one of the best plant for me - of course there are one little detail - they tend to wander like some other solomon's seal and leaves some spots empty which was full the year before while popping up into other perennial clumps.

Neutral gdionelli On Apr 30, 2007, gdionelli from Huntington, WV (Zone 6a) wrote:

Spreads very slowly for me. I bought the plant several years ago - the variegated version. The past two years it has come up solid green - no variegation. Still pretty, though.

Positive vossner On Jun 20, 2006, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Beautiful plant. mine is planted inground, getting a couple of hours of afternoon sun. I believe it would spread more rapidly if I gave it more water, which I'm working on. Highly recommend. Kinda pricey in my neck of the woods.

Positive charlenenj On Jun 18, 2006, charlenenj from Fanwood, NJ wrote:

I just love this plant. I planted 2 in early Spring 2006 and it is so colorful (even without the flowers) and has such an interesting, clean form. I know this is supposed to be a shade plant, but mine get a decent amount of sun and I don't have leaf burn. The white flowers on the underside of the plant are pretty too, blooming here in Spring. I have no idea why this plant is not more popular around here.

Positive jestelleoan On May 21, 2005, jestelleoan from Tyler, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

This plant grows well in East Texas. I have both variegated and plain. I have had mine for only a few months but it is comon here. It needs wet but well grained organic soil. My soil is very is very sandy so I add a lot of compost to it.

Positive sanity101 On May 21, 2005, sanity101 from Dublin, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

Very attractive arching habit facilitates placing small plants beneath it if you desire. Leaves stay fresh and attractive all summer with very little care after initial establishment. Spreads slowly but consistantly. I have not noticed any fragrance.

(plants referenced are in clay/loam soil under part shade from deciduous trees and get watered regularly as part of a bed, though I doubt these actually need it)

Positive drayton On May 4, 2004, drayton from Spartanburg, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I am very excited about this plant, and it grows very well in Upper Carolinas, just difficult to find !
Planted next to Hosta and ferns, it's most lush and beautiful !

Positive Toxicodendron On Apr 19, 2004, Toxicodendron from Piedmont, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

I think I paid $10 for my initial pot of this plant...must have $100 worth now. This is planted in moist well- drained soil, in part sun. It stays fresh looking until late autumn and complements many other plants. There is a large bleeding heart nearby and they bloom together. I would highly recommend this plant for woodland gardens.

Positive Terry On May 22, 2003, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

I purchased a pot of this plant this spring, and love the variegated foliage in my new woodland garden.

Meridianville, Alabama
Vincent, Alabama
Anchorage, Alaska
Elk Grove, California
Rancho Cordova, California
Hamden, Connecticut
Old Lyme, Connecticut
Washington, District Of Columbia
Atlanta, Georgia (2 reports)
Clarkesville, Georgia
Uxbridge, Massachusetts
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Lincoln Park, Michigan
Hopkins, Minnesota
Minneapolis, Minnesota (4 reports)
Natchez, Mississippi
Southold, New York
Yonkers, New York
Bessemer City, North Carolina
Charlotte, North Carolina
Raleigh, North Carolina (3 reports)
Star, North Carolina