PlantFiles: Banana Canna
Canna 'Musifolia'

Family: Cannaceae (kan-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Canna (KAN-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Musifolia
Additional cultivar information: (aka Musaefolia, Musafolia)

Synonym:Canna musifolia

Thumbnail #6 of Canna  by ineedacupoftea

By southlatropical
Thumbnail #7 of Canna  by southlatropical

Positive beau99 On Jun 1, 2014, beau99 from Benton, LA wrote:

I'm in Shreveport, Louisiana and I've been growing canna musafolia "rubra" for 3 years now. Mine have beautiful dark green leaves with purplish-red veins and edges and with red stems. The first year I planted them, they got to be about 7 feet tall. This year so far (May) they've already gotten even taller than that. I expect them to get to at least about 11 feet tall this year. One thing I've noticed about them is that they prefer some shade. The ones that are growing in full sun are only half the size of the ones that only get about 3-4 hours of direct sun daily. I've also noticed that they seem hard to find for some reason? Luckily I now have hundreds of these plants that I can divide so I don't have to buy any more!

Positive jv123 On Oct 23, 2013, jv123 from Vancouver, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

So far this canna has loved being planted underneath a large Doug Fir tree in my front yard in Vancouver WA. In May of this year I started out with one stem, and now (October 23rd) there are 6 stems, and more popping up all the time. So far it has only reached about 6 feet high, but I'm sure once established it will get taller. Amazing long leaves! The earwigs seem to like nibbling on the new leaves near the ground, but once it is up a few feet they don't seem to cause many problems. I love this plant!

Positive vossner On Nov 15, 2012, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I am not patient with growing from seeds but I was amazed at how quickly the seeds germinated and were ready to be transplanted. Mine have only grown to about 4 ft in their first year (2012) but I expect they will get gigantic with time. They are in an ideal, moist area of my garden. Got seeds from Karchesky Cannas.

Positive tropicalnut777 On Feb 6, 2010, tropicalnut777 from Provo, UT (Zone 5a) wrote:

ive grown this beauty for 3 yrs now..got my original rhyzomes on ebay.. i plant them in good compost amended
soil.. they get full sun .. 2009 they bloomed which i read
is the exception.. but we had a nice long summer here in provo,utah..
i fertilize mine with same fertilizer as my banana plants..
15:5:30 they get same watering as my flower beds..but i think they probably would benifit from bit more water..
2009 my oldest plants got over 9' tall.. they were great looking..
love this plant..

Neutral BUFFY690 On May 19, 2005, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I am adding these in 2005 just for the leaves. I have a very unattractive wall and I think these may cover it all the way to the top. I will send pics then.

Neutral LisaTWade On Apr 16, 2005, LisaTWade from Alabaster, AL (Zone 7b) wrote:

This particular canna is supposed to get 12'-14' tall. I've had mine for 2 years now and it hasn't gotten any taller than my other cannas. I don't have it in particularly good soil, though. Maybe with better soil?? It hasn't bloomed, but this variety isn't grown for it's blooms anyway.

Positive Kerry_Mi On Feb 14, 2004, Kerry_Mi from Livonia, MI wrote:

although the canna has done well for me I was wondering the best way to store for the winter.

Positive Katelliff On Nov 4, 2003, Katelliff from Port Isabel, TX wrote:

Beautiful plant and super easy to grow. The only problem I've had is something (not sure what just yet) munching on the leaves. A regular dusting, once a month or so, with a pesticide seems to keep the problem in check. I think everybody should have a canna in their garden, what a statement!

Positive Abutilon On Dec 5, 2002, Abutilon from Coal Center, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

One of the best foliage cannas. Makes a magnificent statement in the garden.
Hummingbirds enjoy the flowers. Easy to grow, too (o: