Raphanus sativus

Family: Brassicaceae (brass-ih-KAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Raphanus (RAF-an-us) (Info)
Species: sativus (sa-TEE-vus) (Info)

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Not Applicable

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Chandler, Arizona

Greenville, New Hampshire

Lenoir City, Tennessee

Spokane, Washington

On Oct 2, 2004, winter_unfazed from Rural Webster County, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

In the Ozarks, radishes are a seed company's dream and a gardener's nightmare,and reproduce faster than you can say "invasive ". Your best bet is a fall planting. I hold a special detest for 'Sparkler',which produces tons of seedpods and a nauseous-tasting root here and there.

On Aug 20, 2004, DarcieC from Ada, MI wrote:

A lot of people overlook this plant in the garden because without just the right type, soil and water levels they turn out rather poor tasting. However, their is one reason that every garden should inclued these little plants and that is insect controle. Without affecting things like bees, radishes repel many of the worst garden pests. I did a double garden this year with radishes in one and not the other. The radish protected garden was free of hornworms, cucumber beetles, and even squash bugs while my other garden was nearly destroied by these pests! I'll never plant a garden without radishes spaced around the plants ever again and thanks to the seed my plants set I'll never have to buy radish seeds again either.

On May 5, 2004, faronell from Henderson, NV (Zone 8b) wrote:

I use Radishes as a fast growing ground cover and mulch between my veggies here in the desert. We have fresh thinnings for the table and the taste is incredible... I think until you have tasted home grown, you don't really know how a radish SHOULD taste. The ones in the store are always bigger but flavorless compared to the garden. Plant different varieties for experimenting and "wowing" the family. If you don't happen to like radishes, just turn them under at the end of their run.

On May 4, 2004, angelam from melbourne
Australia wrote:

This crop needs to be sown little and often as they are so fast growing larger quantities inevitably don't all get eaten and run to seed. Inadequate water will result in hollow bulbs.
It makes an ideal catch crop because of its speed. Kids don't seem to be very fond of them because of the hot peppery taste, but they've been in the human diet for a long time. Most Ancient Egyptians seem to have survived mainly on bread, radishes and onions.

On May 3, 2004, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

Radishes are easy to grow and I love their crisp flavor. A perfect welcome to Spring.

Make sure that they have ample water as this will affect the taste. also, hot weather will cause them to bolt and go to seed.

On Apr 25, 2001, dave wrote:

45-50 days from sowing the seed to harvest. The seeds can be simply broadcast over an area, or sown in rows. A fun cool-weather crop that can withstand plenty of frost.